Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Going to be switching over to the Mtn bike soon

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-11, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

As the days get shorter and cooler I will be switching over to the Mtn bike soon. On nice days I will still be road biking but the others I will abuse the Mtn bike. Have some new trails(single track) just riding distance away, so that will make things easier. Watch out for N+1 coming, as my Mtn bike is about a 20 year old(Cannondale CAD 2 F700 team Volvo with headshock). Hopefully I can restrain myself...

Looks like this only mine doesn't have all the stickers on it:

https://www.mombat.org/TinkerSide.jpg

Last edited by bigbadwullf; 09-27-11 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-27-11, 01:33 PM
Climbing Above It All

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been taking the mtb out a bit more lately too. I'm not much for technical singletrack, never have gotten the confidence to just ride over and through gnarly stuff (especially clipped in), but I really enjoy long fireroads with some smooth single/double track added. I just can't seem to find a reason to want to crash. lol My Epic 29er is probably over kill for what it gets used for but I really love the bike. I ride it mostly fully locked out but the Specialized suspension becomes active when needed. I'd rather ride than push my bike over and around stuff so I keep it pretty straight forward. Probably why cyclocross has no appealed to me either.
Old 09-27-11, 01:41 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I didn't get a road bike till 5 years ago. Up till then it was MTB's and the offroad Tandem. Hate to say it but MTBs up on our hills give you a good workout. Too good a workout for the soft Roadie I have turned into. BUT- come the winter and frosty mornings where Ice will be on the roads- Or the Snow arrives or we have had so much rain that there is a risk of flooding---And I will be back up the hills showing the rest of the group how slowly you can take those hills- and how not to fall off in the deepest mud patch-- or how to get grip up that churned up horsetrail. I may have slowed down a lot but still get a thrill when that old MTB gets to the cafe before the others.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-27-11, 08:50 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm another one, I do all my riding on the road, but have a mountain bike with three-quarter fenders on it, which is my foul weather bike. The road bike comes off the road in a couple of weeks, around October 10th or so, which is Thanksgiving around these parts, it then goes on the trainer. The missus bike comes in at the same time and goes into basement storage, the mountain bike will stay out, until the end of November, then it will go on the workbench for an overhaul over the winter. At least that is the plan, right now.
Old 09-27-11, 09:41 PM
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Man, around here the best Mountain Biking is to be had in the summer when all the trails up in the Cascades melt off. We ride all year long, but the truly epic trails don't melt off until July. In the winter we ride the lowland trails, which are fun but they are not quite the same as the big mountain rides.

Added on edit:

Here is my newest bike - it's not this clean anymore. Most everyone around here seems to have carbon fiber road bikes, I have a steel road bike and a carbon fiber mountain bike!

Last edited by woodway; 09-27-11 at 09:55 PM.