Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bit off more than I can chew!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-11, 04:06 PM
The Mississippi Flash

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock MB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got a great deal on a frame and fork so I've decided to build a bike. My only problem is I have no idea where to start. I'm going to talk to members of a couple of local bike clubs and see if I can get assistance and with the local LBS, but would appreciate any comments or opinions members here might have. And yes, I realize I will probably have a lot more in it when I finish than what I could go out a buy a new bike for, but I believe this will be a good learning experience.
Old 09-27-11, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Well first things first. What type of bike to you want to build? That is the first question I ask anyone of my friends when they say I want to build a new Harley. Once that is known than a list of parts that will fit and work together can be made and a budget established. Once the plan is laid then and only then can you start to look for the parts and start to bring it all together.

Me personally I would make it a roller first once the above is completed. Once that is done it's a simple matter of getting and fitting the drivetrain and brakes.

fasthair
Old 09-27-11, 04:47 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
OK. What do you have and what do you want to make out of it?
Old 09-27-11, 05:40 PM
The Mississippi Flash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is a Quattro Assi aluminum frame with carbon fork. I want an "everday" road bike. Just something I can ride for exercise, with an occasional group ride and maybe a century or two thrown in every so often. I don't need high end components, just something serviceable. Being retired I live on a fixed income, and right now my budget is about $100 a month, will be able to increase that after Christmas. Would hope I could have it done by this time next year.
Old 09-27-11, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Based only on what you have stated, here is what I would do. If there is a sizable city within driving range see if there is a bike recycling co-op or collective group. Here is an example of what we have here in Pittsburgh, PA https://freeridepgh.org/ You can get lots of free advice and cheap parts for your build if such a thing is available. This is the only route you can take with your budget. Invest in Park's Big Blue Book which covers everything you need to know about building a bike. Other options are find a cyclist who likes to wrench and has the tools and see if he/she will assist you.

I know that if approached I would offer my services but keep in mind you get what you pay for. Heck, I and most that work on bikes have enough stuff lying around to build several bikes. Somehow it just accumulates and before you know it you have boxes of stuff that you have no idea where it came from. A guy gave me a box of stuff the other day on the condition that I sort out all the mt. stuff for him. Couple of road gems in there.

Good luck and report back.
Old 09-27-11, 07:46 PM
The Mississippi Flash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I did live in a big city sometimes. Closest metro areas to me would be Memphis or Birmingham, both over 100 miles. Could someone list what parts I should start looking for first.
Old 09-27-11, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,042 Times in 4,475 Posts
You might get lucky and find a bike with a damaged frame and you could strip it. I once bought a bent mtb for $100 and transferred tha parts to a good frame I had bought for $50.
When I built up my first touring bike I scrounged parts from friends and members of the road club. You could keep your eyes open for deals at bike shops, etc.
Like the Johnny Cash song, "One piece at a time".
Old 09-27-11, 09:43 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by triggerracing
I wish I did live in a big city sometimes. Closest metro areas to me would be Memphis or Birmingham, both over 100 miles. Could someone list what parts I should start looking for first.
If it is just a frame and fork you will need a Head set. You need to decide what kind of bottom bracket you want before you get a chainring and crankset. You need a front derailleur and a rear derailleur. Brakes front and rear. Bar stem and bars. Seat stem and saddle. pedals, shifters and cables. Bar tape and wheels. tires and a cassette, and a chain. I may be forgetting something but it will come to me.
Old 09-28-11, 05:32 AM

Bikes: Lynskey Helix, Wilier Izorad XP, Specialized M2 and a Trek 8500

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have some old parts laying around like campy chorus crankset (39/53) brake calipers and RD and shimano 105 brake calipers. They're not in the best condition but probably work fine. Let me know what you're looking for and I'll see what I have.
Old 09-28-11, 05:56 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Forks In The Road

You've gotten good feedback so far.

There are several decision points that you must cross.

- 9 speed or 10 speed? - Less? [drives the rear hub/cassette combination, and chain]
- Terrain/riding style [drives the rim/tire choice, # spokes in hubs]
- Climbing gearing or standard road gearing [drives double, compact, or triple crankset]
- Type of bottom bracket, external, internal, cartridge or loose
- Brand/type of crankset [drives the bb spindle length]

The rest is simply mechanical and fit issues. Make these decisions and stick with them. Decide in the correct order and keep a written record. Begin to search for parts and build a spreadsheet to keep track of your budget, estimates, actual costs, and planned next steps.

Good luck.

Phil
Old 09-28-11, 07:26 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

As you may be starting with used or lower end components than you may want to eventually end up with, be careful to consider compatibility of components.
Old 09-28-11, 08:06 AM
The Mississippi Flash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
K, thanks for all the great input so far. Have decided to go maybe a little more high end than I originally planned. Was looking at Shimano Ultegra components for the drive train. Since this is something I plan on taking at least a year to accomplish I believe if I keep a lookout for sales on the internet and at the local LBS I should be able to do it. I'll try to sock away a few extra dollars each month plus plan to sell some non bike related things on eBay to help finance this endeavor. Both the Shimano front and rear 6700 series derailleurs are less than $50 and $80 respectively on Nashbar's website for example. Of course the shifters and cranksets are a little pricey for me right now, but can hold off on those till later on in the build. First things first though, got to see if i can find someone willing to assist me on this. Wish me luck and keep the advice coming. Also going with 10 speed but not sure about the crankset as far as double or triple. No huge mountains in our part of the country.

9 speed or 10 speed? - Less? [drives the rear hub/cassette combination, and chain] 10 speed
- Terrain/riding style [drives the rim/tire choice, # spokes in hubs] Most flat to rolling hills
- Climbing gearing or standard road gearing [drives double, compact, or triple crankset] Triple?
- Type of bottom bracket, external, internal, cartridge or loose No ideal
- Brand/type of crankset [drives the bb spindle length] Ultegra 6700
Old 09-28-11, 09:39 AM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by triggerracing
...but not sure about the crankset as far as double or triple...
You'll need to decide this before buying your derailleurs and your shifters (unless you will be using bar end shifters which are compatible with either double or triple).
Old 09-28-11, 01:15 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I did this with a mountain bike but I had enough years of experience and a Big box of Changed parts that were still usable to say that WHEN I got the new frame and forks- I had enough usable parts to build up a respectable bike--And the Current bike had all new bits on it. SO-- Stripped the old Bike and transferred the parts to the new frame. The old frame was built up using the servicable S/H parts and I think all I had to buy were a set of bars and a pair of shifters.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-28-11, 01:20 PM
The Mississippi Flash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just missed a practically brand new set of Shimano wheels with tires and tubes for 50 bucks. Sold on the local bike clubs google groups website, got the email notification, but thought it was about an earlier listing for a very expensive set.