User Tag List

Trying to stay upright. Wreader's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Crossroads ~1996
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that burning smell is probably not good..... right?

I went out for a little ride this evening. This was in the immediate neighborhood which is very hilly. I had to stop and walk a couple of hills, but did pretty well. At the end of the ride, about 1/2 mile from home, it suddenly got very hard to pedal. It was up a little hill, and just too hard to ride, so I stopped to rest. I smelled something burning, but could not see anything that looked hot. I felt the brakes, and they were not hot. I could not pedal backwards to get the pedal where I wanted to start off again. That's when I realized that something was broken. The rear hub was moving freely when I pushed the bike along beside me, and the chains were on the sprockets, but it was extremely hard to pedal forward, and impossible to spin the pedals backwards. I don't know what is wrong with it. I walked the level parts, and coasted it down the hill to the house. I did not see anything that looked obviously out of place or broken. Any ideas? I am going to take a closer look at it tomorrow, and if I can't see anything, I will take it to the local bike shop.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wQK0fcq/]
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...q/exercise.png

"Just Like Riding a Bike"? Here we go!
    http://notjustlikeridingabike.blogspot.com/

DLF>DNF>DNS

....dead last finish is better than did not finish.... did not finish is better than did not start.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Burning smell implies rubber and, to my knowledge, that exists on a bike only in the tires and brake pads. Maybe a total crankset bearing failure friction heating the grease.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if the crank won't spin the casette backwards,its(the casette) probably defective ,unless the bottom bracket is seized up,
    take the chain off of the front rings and spin the cranks,it should feel nice and smooth,,(in both directions)
    Bud

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreader View Post
    I went out for a little ride this evening. This was in the immediate neighborhood which is very hilly. I had to stop and walk a couple of hills, but did pretty well. At the end of the ride, about 1/2 mile from home, it suddenly got very hard to pedal. It was up a little hill, and just too hard to ride, so I stopped to rest. I smelled something burning, but could not see anything that looked hot. I felt the brakes, and they were not hot. I could not pedal backwards to get the pedal where I wanted to start off again. That's when I realized that something was broken. The rear hub was moving freely when I pushed the bike along beside me, and the chains were on the sprockets, but it was extremely hard to pedal forward, and impossible to spin the pedals backwards. I don't know what is wrong with it. I walked the level parts, and coasted it down the hill to the house. I did not see anything that looked obviously out of place or broken. Any ideas? I am going to take a closer look at it tomorrow, and if I can't see anything, I will take it to the local bike shop.
    I would think bottom bracket bearing failure, the thing to check, drop the chain off the crank onto the top of the BB, and try turning the cranks, if the crank is hard to move it's the BB, if the crank turns easily it's the rear hub. You want it to be the BB, because they are a lot easier and cheaper to fix.

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Axle Slip

Your rear wheel quick release or (axle nuts) has (have) loosened? The wheel shifted (to the left as you look downward toward the front of it) under tension from the chain. Your tire is rubbing on the left chainstay?

Just a guess...

Phil

My Bikes
    69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
    Your rear wheel quick release or (axle nuts) has (have) loosened? The wheel shifted (to the left as you look downward toward the front of it) under tension from the chain. Your tire is rubbing on the left chainstay?

Just a guess...

Phil
    My guess as well. I have, on occasion, been able to overcome the tension holding the rear axle in place when applying more than usual torque on the cranks (usually during out of the saddle climbing). Check your wheel alignment and then tighten the axle a bit more securely. You may have some paint to touch up too.

Good luck,

Gary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post

Just a guess...

Phil
    I thought he indicated that it rolled downhill just fine.

Trying to stay upright. Wreader's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Crossroads ~1996
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I read what you had to offer, and did what I could to test it. It rolled fine, and when I disengaged the chain, the crank was still very hard to turn. At that point I was out of my league so took it to the local bike shop. The guy immediately diagnosed a bad bearing, and had it fixed and me back on the road in an hour. I was really bummed about the bike breaking down because it was not something obvious and simple, and I was afraid that I would be bike-less for days if I had to take it to the shop. Fortunately, the shop was not busy today and he got right to me. The weather is perfect, and I have a few days off work, so I really wanted to get some rides in. I was able to pick up the bike and go for a ride right away. The multi-use path runs right past the bike shop.
    Last edited by Wreader; 10-04-11 at 06:49 PM.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wQK0fcq/]
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...q/exercise.png

"Just Like Riding a Bike"? Here we go!
    http://notjustlikeridingabike.blogspot.com/

DLF>DNF>DNS

....dead last finish is better than did not finish.... did not finish is better than did not start.....

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got it taken care of OK.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy ending.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good that it was that easy, and fast!!Good luck..
    Bud

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bottom brackets can go two ways- Tight or loose. You got the wrong one but it made you notice it. Been on several rides where a loose BB has disintegrated on riders and is the end of the ride. A tight one just makes the ride harder.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Bottom brackets can go two ways- Tight or loose. You got the wrong one but it made you notice it. Been on several rides where a loose BB has disintegrated on riders and is the end of the ride. A tight one just makes the ride harder.
    Had a loose one, it started making an audible "tic" that could be heard and also felt through the pedal once every crank revolution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreader View Post
    I was really bummed about the bike breaking down because it was not something obvious and simple, and I was afraid that I would be bike-less for days if I had to take it to the shop.
    All the more reason for that second bike. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Now to show my wife just how important that new ride is going to be.=)

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad G View Post
    All the more reason for that second bike. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Now to show my wife just how important that new ride is going to be.=)
    Yep. You gotta have a Backup Bike.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually when I burn one it doesn't smell good.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Hebden Bridge, W. Yorks, UK (Brontė country)
    My Bikes
    Road: Al Cannondale, Steel Basso. MTB: Steel hardtail.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Campagnolo BB was on the way out for a couple of rides while I ordered a replacement. It had got so bad that there was about 1 cm play at the pedal end of the crank!

I finally sorted it out on Saturday night and went out on Sunday and did a tough 8 hour ride. The difference the new BB has made to the bike is amazing. It was obvious on the recent rides that something serious was wrong, but it must have been on the way out for much longer. Pedalling just feels so smooth now!

I also discovered that I'd been riding for 2 years with the wrong length BB axle! I have a triple chainset and replaced the BB with a 115.5 mm one, as recommended, and discovered that the old one had been 111 mm. No wonder I'd had problems with my chainline and front shifting!
    Filippo Pozzato's NAKED SIDI bike shoes ad - WTF were they thinking!
    My Mk2 Crud Roadracer fenders review (do you actually LIKE that dirty wet stripe up your back?)

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually they can go out 3 ways, the third one is actually both ways. When it starts to fail it gets a little loose, then it gets looser, then when it completely fails, it gets really tight, really fast. Modern cartridge style tend to take the third way out, older cup and cone tend not to.

My Bikes
    Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
    Usually when I burn one it doesn't smell good.
    Smells like skunk?