Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The "I Am Not Having Fun Thread"

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-11, 12:33 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts

I find posts that say "make sure you have fun" interesting. These comments are generally provided to riders who are riding in a manner someone else does not like to do or does not approve of.

I always have fun riding my bike or I would stop doing it and assume others are as wise and smart as I am. I started to think that there may be some riders who ride their bike that do not have fun. If you are currently riding your bike and not having fun, this is the thread for you.

Tell us how you are riding and hate your bike. This should be a short thread. Or maybe not.

Last edited by Hermes; 10-05-11 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-05-11, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
What does "fun" mean in this context? Can something be enjoyable or enjoyed without it being fun? For example, I can enjoy doing hard intervals on a trainer, but I wouldn't call it fun. I could say I always enjoy riding my bike, though it's not always fun.
Old 10-05-11, 01:33 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pain is pleasure.
Old 10-05-11, 01:49 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Very True Hermes,

If you're not having fun (or getting paid good money to do it) why do anything, even cycling? Of course I realize sometimes there are family or social obligations that are neither fun nor profitable (going to funerals, for example), but overall and generally, if it's not fun, don't do it!

I really like climbing big (tall, long, steep) mountain roads on my road bike and quite often when I finally reach the summit, I remark (whether anyone is listening or not) "That was fun!" On several occasions, other cyclists have not been in agreement with that statement. Thus, "fun" is a personal definition as well as social definition.

That's my take on it, anyway, YMMV!

Rick / OCRR
Old 10-05-11, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I was racing in the late 80s and early 90s, I stopped having fun. It became a chore. Looking back, I probably was overtrained, and certainly was training wrong for me. The season where I got injured halfway through the previous season and when healthy decided to start training in august for next year finally did me in. By the next May I hated riding. The last ride was a beautiful summer day up the mountains. I got up there and said "I hate this ****. It's stupid. I am going home".

I quit riding and took up motorcycle racing and chasing goth girls.

I took up riding again when I was 40. At first I was just riding for fun and to get into shape as I was fat and pathetic. I wouldn't even use a bike computer and swore that I'd never race again. After a while I decided that maybe a half century would be a good goal. It was so hard! My friend had to tow me the last 20 miles. Then I got in a bit better shape and tried some centuries. That got easier so I did the Death Ride. I'd never gotten around to it when I was racing. The first time was the hardest thing I'd done. It was so miserable and I swore I'd never do it again. Two weeks later I was planning for next year. A couple years later the Death Ride was no longer enough of a challenge. I heard about this two day race called the Everest Challenge. 29,035 feet of climbing in two days. I figured that if I was going to do that I'd better learn how to ride in groups again, so I started doing racer group rides with lots of climbing.

My new friends on the group ride suggested that I should get a license rather than riding in the public category. I did EC as a cat 5, couldn't finish, but that made me determined to train harder and finish the next year. Part of that training would be to do normal races. So it took about six years but I am back to racing again. Since then I've finished EC three times and placed as high as 12th in the 45+ field and gotten some top 10s in other races. There is a large gulf between me and the good guys, but it's fun to see how well I can do with what I have.

This time I am less dumb about training and rest, and I am only doing the races I like instead of trying every race on the calendar.
Old 10-05-11, 02:26 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I understand what you are going for here Hermes... If you are asking what we don't like about cycling or what we wish cycling emcompassed, I guess I could begin with :
1. There are no MUPS in my area.
Old 10-05-11, 02:31 PM
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I have to keep reminding myself that I'm having fun when I'm climbing a long, steep grade. I'm lying to myself, of course....
Old 10-05-11, 02:39 PM
DisMember

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix, 1984 Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My vintage steel bike is cute and all that, but it has a steel-reinforced-concrete seat ordered from Sheldon Brown. It'll be fun with a new seat, I'm just sure of it.
Old 10-05-11, 03:09 PM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hermes, Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw about fishing. "A bad day fishing is better than a good day at the office."

I don't always have fun on my bike, but something has kept me in love with cycling since the second grade.

Brad
Old 10-05-11, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hermes makes an intresting point, and it's one I've thought about a bit. I really do not like cycling all that much. It hurts sometimes, and it makes me tired. Drivers scare me, and I have trouble with the nagging, largely irrational, fear of instant death on the grille of a pickup truck. The scenery around here isn't all that interesting, and much of the year it's really hot and humid. That said, while I'm not a big fan of riding, I really love having ridden. I enjoy how I feel after, I like the many health benefits, I like the amazed looks I get from people when I tell them about my rides, I like how it makes me look, and there are a dozen other things about it that I love. Sometimes when the weather is nice and I'm feeling good, riding is fun. But mostly it's a chore done for the benefits on the other side. And it beats by far every other form of exercise that can provide similar benefits.
Old 10-05-11, 03:39 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kurt, to add on to what you started, I *hate* overanalyzing getting ready to go out for a ride, but once I'm actually out on a ride, it's a great feeling. But to Hermes' point, it is definitely not my idea of fun slogging up a 5+ mile long 6+ % grade on a 95 F day, w/ or w/o humidity, and a tailwind + sun directly on my back. Not fun at all.
Old 10-05-11, 04:47 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
It is not fun having 3 flats on one ride, or a broken chain or breakdown of some sort.

Otherwise, it is always fun, and I carefully program my riding with variety and different challenges to make sure and accomplish that.

And I program my non-riding exercise time that way also, such as my 5.5 mile hike today.
Old 10-05-11, 05:06 PM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,587 Times in 1,223 Posts
I'm not fond of my commute, but I always feel better when I do it.
Old 10-05-11, 05:08 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did the second (of probably the ONLY two!) epic ride today; the first was over 40 miles, today was 52.

My taint hurts, and everything else aches.

I still went out with the kids tonight, on our bikes.

I will still get on it tomorrow for the commute, too.

I'm addicted to riding; don't feel right if I don't do it.
Old 10-05-11, 05:12 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Bike riding oscillates from fun to not fun. A while back on a commute I was having fun rolling down a steep hill. It stopped being fun as a truck attempted a left hook at speed at the bottom of the hill and we missed each other by a few feet. The best part of that incident was that if i hadn't had such fun going down the hill fast, he probably would have hit me.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 10-05-11, 05:39 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
This may sound strange, but I actually get bored if I am home and not riding. For me, most of the time, riding is fun. I am very relaxed after a long ride and it makes me feel good. It's an addiction.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 10-05-11, 05:49 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
One thing that complicates the situation is that for me, part of the fun of riding is the feeling of accomplishment when I'm done- especially true on a longer or harder ride. Then also, even during a ride, you can have some things that are fun and some that are not. So I've ridden into a headwind with sore feet and a saddlesore, but was also in the company of an attractive and friendly lady, so who's to complain?
Old 10-05-11, 05:52 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
. . . . I always have fun riding my bike or I would stop doing it and assume others are as wise and smart as I am . . . .
For me that hits an issue dead center.

Novice riders, I think, often hit the road (or MUP or even sidewalk) with high expectations of instant long distances and high speeds. When they find themselves riding a few slow miles the bike goes into the garage. I join you in assuming most people are plenty wise enough to do what they enjoy, I encourage beginners to ride slowly, ride short and focus on having fun. Once they are hooked we talk about the delights of the burn.
Old 10-05-11, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of my Life Mottoes:

Whatever you do;
Do it for fun; or
Do it for survival, or
Don't do it at all.

I've followed that for most of my life. I think it applies generally.
Old 10-05-11, 06:02 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
In about the last 7 years (since I started road riding again), I distinctly remember ONE day that I wasn't having fun. Mental, physical, whatever... During the ride, I told another person that I wasn't having fun and that I shouldn't be on the bike.

I generally just LOVE being on a bike. The love for riding has recently been shared with fast hikes up super rocky, high altitude trails in my Saucony Peregrins (trail running shoes) and as soon as the snow gets deep enough, skiing and snow shoeing.

Got to watch Doc Martin now.
Old 10-05-11, 06:41 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by teachme
I think I understand what you are going for here Hermes... If you are asking what we don't like about cycling or what we wish cycling emcompassed, I guess I could begin with :
1. There are no MUPS in my area.
Thank goodness there are no MUPS in my neck of the woods. Playing in the street, playing in traffic on a bike is (almost) always fun. Riding on quiet country roads is fun, too, of course.
Old 10-05-11, 06:42 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why am I even reading this thread? I have fun all the time when on my bike.
Old 10-05-11, 06:53 PM
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are we having fun yet?
Old 10-05-11, 07:02 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by rubic
Are we having fun yet?
Old 10-05-11, 08:36 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kurt Erlenbach
Hermes makes an intresting point, and it's one I've thought about a bit. I really do not like cycling all that much. It hurts sometimes, and it makes me tired. Drivers scare me, and I have trouble with the nagging, largely irrational, fear of instant death on the grille of a pickup truck. The scenery around here isn't all that interesting, and much of the year it's really hot and humid. That said, while I'm not a big fan of riding, I really love having ridden. I enjoy how I feel after, I like the many health benefits, I like the amazed looks I get from people when I tell them about my rides, I like how it makes me look, and there are a dozen other things about it that I love. Sometimes when the weather is nice and I'm feeling good, riding is fun. But mostly it's a chore done for the benefits on the other side. And it beats by far every other form of exercise that can provide similar benefits.
+1 You totally captured the true meaning of this thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.