Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Winter is rumored to be approaching

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-11, 07:32 AM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They say winter's coming. The weather so far is very pleasant, and we all know that can't be allowed for any length of time. So there might be some truth to the gossip. I'm looking at getting some winter-specific tires this year to mount on my second set of wheels. I'm riding my GT Xizang, a titanium-frame hardtail mountain bike. Most of the year I'm wearing highway tires (Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26x1.5 belted tires) so for safety's sake I need to switch to something more aggressive for ice.

Have any of you tried the Schwalbe studded snow and ice tires ( like the Schwalbe Marathon Winter Bicycle Tire Tyre 26x1.75 )? How about other makes or sizes? Do the studs cause loss of traction on hard, smooth surfaces such as concrete?

What else do you guys and gals do to prepare for the cold months?
Old 10-13-11, 07:59 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by xizangstan
They say winter's coming. The weather so far is very pleasant, and we all know that can't be allowed for any length of time.

I’m also getting ready for winter. It’s in the air today, after two weeks of the best weather Chicago has ever seen.

The Cyclocross bike will get a major make-over in November. I’ll be fitting winter tires to new a 36 hole Velocity/Shimano touring wheel-set. I’m considering adding a Surly fork that will provide plenty of tire and fender clearance. I’ll make these changes for the long term, this bike will become a 75% paved road and 25% gravel & dirt path trekking bike during mild weather.

Selecting tires for winter is a challenge here in Chicago. The roads are cleared quickly, deep snow is not a significant issue. Snow plows, salt and urban traffic keep most of the pavement clear, but ice is always a risk. My solution is to have one wheel-set with studded winter tires and another with four-season stud-less tires. If the weather has been dry with some sun, I’ll use the four-season tires. If the weather is less favorable, I’ll have studded tires on another wheel-set.

Tires are like shoes, multiple pairs are needed.

Peter White has a great review of studded tires from Nokian & Schwalbe, plus some good general information: https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-13-11 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-13-11, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Likewise. The daytime temps will now be comfortable for riding . Of course that also mean you can't ride early in the morning or late in evening...without lights and a little danger.
Old 10-13-11, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.allweathersports.com/
Old 10-13-11, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
They say winter's coming....

1) get the road bike ready for the trainer
2) give the xc skis a new coat of glide wax
3) PRAY FOR SNOW!

My commute this morning was certifiably COLD: ~29F, and the mountains have a fresh coat of "the white stuff", so ski season can't be far off.

SP
Bend, OR
Old 10-13-11, 12:39 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
So I won't mention the perfect mid 80s temperatures down here. If this winter is like last year, I may have to break out the jackets a time or two during the season.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 10-13-11, 01:41 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'm wishing for a bit of winter, anyway! 100 deg.F yesterday, supposed to be even hotter today.

Re: Tires, I've had good luck with the Schwalbe Marathons, but mine are kinda small (16") since they're on my folding bike (which I use to commute to work and back).

Rick / OCRR
Old 10-13-11, 01:51 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Have any of you tried the Schwalbe studded snow and ice tires ( like the Schwalbe Marathon Winter Bicycle Tire Tyre 26x1.75 )?
Yes, i have precisely these. They work well.

Do the studs cause loss of traction on hard, smooth surfaces such as concrete?
No. Though to be fair, I'm unlikely to go in for really hard cornering on the touring bike these are on.
Old 10-13-11, 02:25 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't listen to rumours- I need proof.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-13-11, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Yep. Order your Ribble parts now for March delivery!
Old 10-13-11, 03:21 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
They say winter's coming. The weather so far is very pleasant, and we all know that can't be allowed for any length of time. So there might be some truth to the gossip. I'm looking at getting some winter-specific tires this year to mount on my second set of wheels. I'm riding my GT Xizang, a titanium-frame hardtail mountain bike. Most of the year I'm wearing highway tires (Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26x1.5 belted tires) so for safety's sake I need to switch to something more aggressive for ice.

Have any of you tried the Schwalbe studded snow and ice tires ( like the Schwalbe Marathon Winter Bicycle Tire Tyre 26x1.75 )? How about other makes or sizes? Do the studs cause loss of traction on hard, smooth surfaces such as concrete?

One bike on the trainer, one bike on the workbench, the bike due for the workbench is in the shed still, and will remain there until there is snow that doesn't go away in a couple of days.... It's now fall, the road bike is on the trainer, now if I can just get to the cellar and give it some use...
Old 10-13-11, 04:02 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
So I won't mention the perfect mid 80s temperatures down here. If this winter is like last year, I may have to break out the jackets a time or two during the season.
OK, and I won't mention the humidity, hurricanes and bugs you "get" to experience, either...

SP
Bend, OR
Old 10-13-11, 04:37 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
96 degrees, sunny, low humidity, hardly any breeze . . .
This is Tucson, AZ after all!
Did ride with vest for the first half hour of our daily tandem toot . . . a cool 60+ at 9 a.m.
Pedal on!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 10-13-11, 04:39 PM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Got the stationary cleaned and checked over so it's ready to go for another (##%%^^%##@@@!!!) winter season.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 10-14-11, 05:27 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbycorno
OK, and I won't mention the humidity, hurricanes and bugs you "get" to experience, either...

SP
Bend, OR
Humidity is all but gone, we haven't had a hurricane in several years and bugs..... well, we definitely got bugs.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 10-14-11, 06:31 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Such a wide range of temps - from 34F to 72F today. I'll ride to the pool this am to go swimming, then a ride - the problem being the number of layers to wear and shed!!

Now

Partly Cloudy
Temperature
34 °F
Feels Like 29 °F

Wind(mph)

Sunrise / Set
7:07 AM
6:21 PM

Moon
Waning Gibbous
More Astronomy

Today
72 °F
Clear

Tonight
43 °F
Clear

Tomorrow
81 °F
Clear

Sunday
70 | 43 °F
Clear

Monday
63 | 34 °F
Clear

Tuesday
58 | 34 °F
Clear

I won't ride with any ice or snow on the trail - too much of a chance of breaking something, which at 71, is NOT a good idea. So, no studded tores for me, just ride the mtn bike with Panaracer tires when things are clear. They plow the trails, and with sunshine, they are usually OK to ride during the day, which is what I generally do.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-14-11 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-14-11, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
They say winter's coming...Most of the year I'm wearing highway tires (Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26x1.5 belted tires) so for safety's sake I need to switch to something more aggressive for ice.

Have any of you tried the Schwalbe studded snow and ice tires ( like the Schwalbe Marathon Winter Bicycle Tire Tyre 26x1.75 )? How about other makes or sizes? Do the studs cause loss of traction on hard, smooth surfaces such as concrete??../
Just this week I posted about my experience with Marathon Winters to a Commuting thread:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Should I get studded tires for winter cycling?

...this [post] was a good synopsis of the options for studded tires:

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
This should answer Mithrandir's question as well - there are two good options for a "skinny" (35c) studded winter tire -…
I ride well-plowed roads where hard packed snow and black ice are the main concerns, so Marathon Winters are ideal. On occasion I leave early enough before the plows are out, and I encounter up to about 3 or more inches of new, and slightly tamped-down snow. Under these conditions the Marathons perform pretty well, and I have gone up hills the cars couldn't handle.

For the opening poster, I too considered that question in the title of this thread, mostly concerned about the increased rolling resistance, since I usually ride dry, or at least non-icy pavement. IMO, it's virtually negligible with the Marathons. What convinced me to get studded tires was a post by tsl; I wish I could find it again. His comment was that even in Rochester where roads are well-plowed (and I'm sure they have the experience) there still may be patches of ice that could take him down, and off the bike for weeks.

I put the studs on my beater bike in December and keep them on until April, and this will be my fourth season with these tires. I ride them about two thirds of the winter season on my six day per week 14 mile commute; I take out the road bike the rest of the time when the streets are perfectly clear.
Old 10-15-11, 07:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jim - These are the SAME set or Marathon Winter tires you're going into the 4th winter on? How's the tread and studs? Worn out yet? Are the studs slippery on dry concrete?
Old 10-15-11, 08:44 PM

Jim - These are the SAME set or Marathon Winter tires you're going into the 4th winter on? How's the tread and studs? Worn out yet? Are the studs slippery on dry concrete?
Same set, and studs and tread looked OK to me at the end of last winter. My shop changed the tires for me and they check things out pretty thoroughly. I cited my usual winter mileage to indicate how much use they get. It's too much trouble for me to switch tires or wheels according to conditions, so I just switch the two bikes, and the conditions must be pristine to take the road bike.

I don't recall any problem with slippage on the usual blacktop roads I ride; not much concrete around here, though I have ridden a bit in Michigan where concrete roads are prevalent. Nonetheless, I think the enhanced traction on ice outweighs any problems with concrete. I recall one fellow subscriber who rides my commuter route in Boston commenting that he found the traction on wet enameled road lines to be better than non-studded tires. Of course the studs likely will bite into enameled paint better than concrete.
Old 10-17-11, 06:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, those heavily-painted lines on the pavement can be really slick when wet, and will upset you in half a nanosecond if you're not tracking straight and level at the time you're on them.
Old 10-17-11, 01:10 PM

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
And to think, a few years when I moved to Utah and saw studded snow tires available for MTBs, I was amused. I might get some next winter, after my back and neck heal...
Old 10-18-11, 07:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing I've always liked about this time of year is the 'CRUNCH' of fallen leaves as my bike tires roll over them in the quiet on a paved road or trail.
Old 10-18-11, 09:39 AM

One thing I've always liked about this time of year is the 'CRUNCH' of fallen leaves as my bike tires roll over them in the quiet on a paved road or trail.
Better watch out for unseen potholes under those fallen leaves. There was a real tragedy reported around here a couple years ago involving an unnrecognized pothole.
Old 10-19-11, 12:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those same potholes can be filled with water or ice and seem to disappear as well. Nasty gotchas.
Old 10-19-11, 06:24 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I noted the OP's location.... Colorado, California, Florida, Panama? right winter... unhuh.. sure. changing from shorts and hawaiian shirts to shorts and new hawaiian shirts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.