Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

4th Annual 50+ Ride (Natchez Trace Area)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

4th Annual 50+ Ride (Natchez Trace Area)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-11, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by freedomrider1
Jim,I thought you had everything you needed in that huge bag on the back of your bike.
...And the portable martini kit. What the hell, man, he's ready now.
Old 10-19-11, 12:52 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
...And I can assure you, the portables are potable!
Old 10-19-11, 01:36 PM

Bikes: 2014 ICE Spring FSX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Come on Jim, 3 for 3, you gotta do it man. Martini Kit and all. But don't for get John, Bev, and I always have beer. Looking forward to seeing more 50+ers this year. Great job on this Marc!
Old 10-19-11, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Jim,I thought you had everything you needed in that huge bag on the back of your bike.
Originally Posted by Louis
Originally Posted by miss kenton
...And I can assure you, the portables are potable!
Originally Posted by rtool
Come on Jim, 3 for 3, you gotta do it man. Martini Kit and all...
Packing for the trip is step #8, that’s easy; the hardest part, more difficult than even training or driving is step #3:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
1) schedule time off from work: four driving days, ride day, 2-3 days to hang out
2) train with winter commuting, then intensify in mid March (10 weeks until June 2)
3) ask Family permission to go away for one week (they probably would not want to go)
4) arrange accommodations
5) pre-ride bike check at LBS
6) rent car if necessary
7) map driving route (~1100 miles)
8) pack

(Watkins Glen was a three-day weekend, and Ann Arbor included driving my son back there from a Boston visit.)
Old 10-19-11, 06:58 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
The location is great. I think you will draw people who live within a day’s drive of Nashville. That includes most of the Great Lake states and the South.

If additional events are held in New England and on the west coast, participation in each event should be healthy.

I'm concerned about joining an event that draws 1500 riders. The benefits include SAG support, but I'd rather take a calmer ride in May.
The One Helluva Ride last summer in Ann Arbor had about 1700, but the "peleton" was quite spread out. People started whenever they were ready (including the BF50+ Grey Cats), so there was no such thing as a clump. Some riders rode in platoons and you did have to watch out to your left. Food was QUITE plentiful. It's worth it to solicit some local feedback for the Tn ride, but it is possible to do these large rides well.
Old 10-19-11, 07:02 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

And what's not in the bag can be in the many pockets of his cycling surgical scrubs!

Seriously, this might really work for me! It's too early in the summer for Mrs. Road Fan, however; her school is still in session.

BUT, Marc, well done!
Old 10-20-11, 07:36 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Freida Barry,President of the Harpeth bike club, promised to keep us in the loop and let me know registration will start. The ride will be limited to 1500 and don't underestimate the Lance factor. Nobody says he'll be back, but Nissan is a marquee sponsor again this year and it starts on their parking lot. Whether he comes or not, the expectation will draw a crowd.

Marc
Old 10-20-11, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by irwin7638
Freida Barry,President of the Harpeth bike club, promised to keep us in the loop and let me know registration will start. The ride will be limited to 1500 and...the expectation will draw a crowd.

Marc
Again Marc, nice job of staying on top of it. I'll have to add Ride Registration to my To Do list; for the two previous Annual Rides I did it on-site.
Old 10-20-11, 10:46 AM

Bikes: Electra Townie Sport Tiagra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, it may not matter, but the Natchez Trace State Park does not connect with the Natchez Trace Parkway. So I would not consider it as a place to lodge.
Old 10-20-11, 07:04 PM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Originally Posted by Brent P
Also, it may not matter, but the Natchez Trace State Park does not connect with the Natchez Trace Parkway. So I would not consider it as a place to lodge.
I kinda figured that, it's about 120 miles from Franklin where the event is held also. I'm in contact with a fellow cyclist who has property including a rental cottage about 1/2 mile from the trace. Hopefully that will work out.

Marc
Old 10-21-11, 12:02 AM
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was wondering what kind of elevation change there was in the metric ride, assuming from past rides this would be the most travelled by our group. Here's a link to the map and summary info: https://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Cour...?course=321308
This looks like a great ride. I'll be there. I was none too happy about missing this year's and already told the family about this one!
Old 10-21-11, 07:55 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seenoweevil
I was wondering what kind of elevation change there was in the metric ride, assuming from past rides this would be the most travelled by our group. Here's a link to the map and summary info: https://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Cour...?course=321308
This looks like a great ride. I'll be there. I was none too happy about missing this year's and already told the family about this one!
FWIW- It appears that the organized ride does not use the Natchez Trace Parkway.
Old 10-22-11, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by billydonn
FWIW- It appears that the organized ride does not use the Natchez Trace Parkway.
The parkway itself is a few miles west of the organized ride. I am planning to be down a few days early for some exploring on my own. The club sponsoring the ride has a regular Thursday ride on the Trace and "Nashcommguy" has several other routes on the Trace ranging from 20-100 miles in length. There are plenty of opportunities for fun!

Marc

Last edited by irwin7638; 10-22-11 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-27-11, 06:32 PM

I talked with Jeff (nashcommguy) who owns the property near Franklin with a cottage and land for camping.
He gave me this:

Here's a link to the cottage: https://www.flipkey.com Enter 'Franklin, TN' in the site search. Our cottage is called "Cycler's Rest'. Not sure if I mentioned it or not, but it cottage sleeps four...six w/cots and sleeping bags. It's connected to our main house w/a 20 ft long walkway.

Let me know who might be interested, he said there is room on the property for camping even if the cottage is rented to somebody else.

Marc
Old 10-28-11, 01:04 PM
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everybody. As Marc has stated there's 'plenty o' parking'. Also, for those of you that may not be interested in a sponsored 1500 cyclist ride I'm willing to lead a small, non-sagged contingent on anything in the area on the same day. Temps normally range in the 70-80s until the middle of June when things begin to really heat up in this area. I usually take longer rides on Saturdays, anyway. My work week is 4 days, so I'm available on Friday as well.

One route laid out is 106.54 miles of rolling terrain on rural main roads(no dogs, light traffic) w/plenty of shoulder and approximately 40 miles utilizing the NTP. Also, a 30 and a 40 both having 15 miles on the NTP along with main and secondary rural roads. My metric century doesn't use the Trace at all, though I could lay one out including it pretty easily. In fact, a straight down and back from MP 423(where we live) to MP 391 would do it. There's a campground/restaurant at the exit that would afford a nice break. And the asphalt everywhere in this area is in great shape due to the overall light traffic volume.

If called for I've laid out a ride that includes 6 stiff hills of 17-24% of approximately 50 miles. I call it 'The Dirty Half-Dozen' honoring Danny Chew's 'Dirty Dozen' of Pittsburgh, PA fame...or infamy depending on your perspective.

Btw, we've got indoor plumbing and Wi-Fi as well.
Old 11-21-11, 04:46 AM

I wanted to let everybody know that I am watching the.website for the Harpeth River Ride to be sure those interested have a chance at early registration. It will probably be open after the holidays.

Marc
Old 11-21-11, 08:29 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to let everybody know that I am watching the.website for the Harpeth River Ride to be sure those interested have a chance at early registration. It will probably be open after the holidays.

Marc

They also have a Facebook page for those on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/harpethriver...wall&filter=12

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 12-18-11, 09:09 PM

As you know, the poll for a location was very closely split with the "Memphis Natchez Trace" barely winning and locations in New England and San Diego following close behind. It only leads me to think there should be interest in three regional get togethers. I originally mentioned Memphis (which admittedly was a point on the map to me) and many people chimed in with the Memphis Trace, sooooo. Here we are, the Natchez Trace Parkway is 444 miles long from Natchez Ms to Nashville. The Natchez Trace State Park is 120 miles from Memphis and 97 miles from Nashville. That's a whole lot of area to look at and not a lot of metro area actually on the route, the entire parkway is a designated bike route so I thought groups should start at each end and meet somewhere in the middle for a party. Ok, I'm kidding.
I did contact Jeff near Nashville, he lives .6 miles from the Parkway, rides the parkway on his daily commute, has several routes mapped out in the area ranging from 20-100 miles and also owns some land with a cabin, camping area and plenty of parking (to paraphrase the immortal "We got that going for us!").
At Jeff's suggestion I also contacted the Harpeth bicycling club in Nashville. They not only have a weekly ride mapped out using the Trace, they hold an annual event in the area. Here is what he said:

"Our club will host the annual Harpeth River Ride on June 2, 2012. Don't know if you're familiar with this event, so here's the rundown: Next year will be our 17th for hosting the Harpeth River Ride (HRR); it starts and ends at the Nissan Headquarters in Franklin, TN; offers routes of 25, 44, 62 and 100 miles; last year we had 1500 riders, including Lance Armstrong and 2 other members of Team RadioShack. Would love to have your group join us."
https://harpethriverride.com/

That's what I got so far. Suggestions? Comments?

Marc
I would only be able to come to this solo. Mrs. Road Fan's school district will still be in session.

She and I are planning to go on the Shoreline Michigan Upper Peninsula ride again this year, July 14 through 21. Maybe I can do all of it this time!

https://www.lmb.org/index.php/Events/LMB-Bicycle-Tours/

Weekend prior to that is the Ann Arbor One Helluva Ride. If I do the 65, 75 or 100, it will be a great capstone to a tour training program.

Last edited by Road Fan; 12-18-11 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-30-11, 09:39 PM

How much commitment is there for this ride? Is it The Plan?

Is a sign-up required, with a payment? How much and when? When does the window of opportunity close?

Things may be changing for me, so I need to look at it as something I'll do.
Old 12-31-11, 08:51 AM
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I'm certainly planning to ride it. Things look much more stable for me this year, settling nicely into the new position, etc., so this ride is definitely in my "Ride Plan" for 2012 as long as there will be some others coming as well! This ride is just one step from local for me, so I'm still interested in a good road trip ride too! I just might make it to Michigan this year!
Old 12-31-11, 09:32 AM

As you know, the poll for a location was very closely split with the "Memphis Natchez Trace" barely winning and locations in New England and San Diego following close behind. It only leads me to think there should be interest in three regional get togethers. I originally mentioned Memphis (which admittedly was a point on the map to me) and many people chimed in with the Memphis Trace, sooooo. Here we are…

Originally Posted by Road Fan

Is a sign-up required, with a payment? How much and when? When does the window of opportunity close?

Hi guys,

I don’t mean to intrude onto this thread entitled “4th Annual 50+ Ride (Natchez Trace Area)” but I would still like to keep open the possibility of a New England ride, particularly in Metro Boston. I had suggested a ride annually sponsored by the Mass Bike Coalition, and this is the current message on their website, massbike.org: “We are currently in the planning stages for the next Summer Century & Family Ride. Stay tuned!”

My major trepidation is that accommodations around here are pretty expensive compared to the more rural locations of previous rides and the current Natchez Trace proposal.

It turns out that we have a family wedding in Florida the week before the Natchez Trace ride. The possibility of a round-trip circuit from Boston to Florida to Tennessee and back to Boston certainly appeals to my wanderlust.
Old 12-31-11, 10:04 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Their website hasn't posted any information on this year's ride. I know I'm still planning on attending

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 12-31-11, 10:34 AM

I and several others are committed to the trip. I am checking their website several times a week to get the registration info. Once that is available I will pass it on.

Marc
Old 12-31-11, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Hi guys,

I don’t mean to intrude onto this thread entitled “4th Annual 50+ Ride (Natchez Trace Area)” but I would still like to keep open the possibility of a New England ride, particularly in Metro Boston. I had suggested a ride annually sponsored by the Mass Bike Coalition, and this is the current message on their website, massbike.org: “We are currently in the planning stages for the next Summer Century & Family Ride. Stay tuned!”

My major trepidation is that accommodations around here are pretty expensive compared to the more rural locations of previous rides and the current Natchez Trace proposal.

It turns out that we have a family wedding in Florida the week before the Natchez Trace ride. The possibility of a round-trip circuit from Boston to Florida to Tennessee and back to Boston certainly appeals to my wanderlust.
Wanderlust away, bud, but don't lose track of those pavement seams!

I need to just keep an open mind. A Boston ride sounds good to me, too. Those rolling hills from Boston up through Peterborough would be a considerable challenge.

Perhaps we need to re-open the discussion of a single group destination? I was hoping some West Central or West Coast folks would make a suggestion, though I might have missed it.
Old 12-31-11, 10:47 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Wanderlust away, bud, but don't lose track of those pavement seams!

I need to just keep an open mind. A Boston ride sounds good to me, too. Those rolling hills from Boston up through Peterborough would be a considerable challenge.

Perhaps we need to re-open the discussion of a single group destination? I was hoping some West Central or West Coast folks would make a suggestion, though I might have missed it.
You could combine a Colorado ride with watching the USA Pro-Cycling Challenge - drawing top riders from around the world through Colorado Mountain passes - August 20 for several days. A huge draw last summer.

https://www.usaprocyclingchallenge.com/host-cities

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.