User Tag List

My Bikes
    2009 Felt F3SL; Gios Compact
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most comfortable chamois

What are some of your favorite chamois'? My sit bone area is depleting and I need some more comfortable shorts. I have used Pearl Izumi for years - don't recall the exact models but the cheaper one is about $75. The Pearl Izumis are still somewhat comfortable, until my ride exceeds 30 miles. It's not a saddle issue, either, as I have about a dozen saddles in my closet and my current, i.e. most comfortable, is my Brooks B17, nicely broken in. I'm sixty and my muscle mass is slowly approaching that age where my riding is not keeping my sit area conditioned. I guess I'm looking for a slightly thicker chamois than the ones on the PI's.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 66.8 years old. I love my De Marchi Contour bibs.
    Second choice but more expensive is Etxe Ondo bibs.

Maybe you need to ditch those other saddles and try what I have on my new bike, a Specialized Toupé.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good quality short-Or Bibs- and most have a comfortable lining. The pad is not for comfort though- it is for wicking away moisture.

Last Sunday I rode a bike I have not ridden for years. It has a new saddle on it and I know how to set the saddle up for my Butt. Did it visually and then sat on it- I could feel it so nose down a fraction and all I felt were my sitbones. 28 miles later and I could still not feel the saddle. That saddlle set up is critical. I know how to set it up for me and it is a couple of minutes to set up up- check and re-adjust.

BUT- I have a pair of shorts that has a 1" foam pad instead of the normal liner. They do feel uncomfortable when walking and it does get warm after about 2 hours riding but they are comfortable. These are the shorts for the 2nd days riding for me.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need thicker padding under the sit bones, the Sugoi RS or RSE are the shorts to have.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 65 and use the same PI Attack shorts that you are using and have no problems with them, even after several hours in the saddle. I ride 20 miles a day (weather permitting) and at least one 30 mile and one 45 mile ride on the weekends. I have three pairs of these shorts. I have tried bibs and they are the most uncomfortable things I have ever worn. The straps over my shoulders just drives me nuts.

I have never tried a Brooks saddle so I can't speak from experience, but I would think that riding on nothing but leather would be a little harder on the sit bones. From the posts that I have read on BF, there are quite a few users of the B17 saddle who know more about it than me.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far, my fave is any thin(ish), firm, FLAT, honest-to-God CHAMOIS pad (as in real leather). Synthetics and especially the new "3-D" pads are for the birds! Oh and a leather (as in Brooks) or leather-covered saddle is a must, too. Breatheability is a MAJOR plus! And most synthetics don't breathe well enough for me.

[/rant]

SP
    Bend, OR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    I would think that riding on nothing but leather would be a little harder on the sit bones.
    Actually, quite the contrary. Leather "gives" where you need it to. Plastic most emphatically does NOT.

SP
    Bend, OR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and despite my pro-leather comments, my go-fast bike has a Fizik Antares saddle. (My everyday bike has a B17) I'm just too much of a weight weenie to put a 1 lb+ saddle on an 18 lb bike. But the Antares does fit me pretty well, and that's what counts.

SP
    Bend, OR

A little North of Hell
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XXXI

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bent riders dont need no stinkin dead goat skins. snork snork grin!!!

My Bikes
    2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still haven't built up enough of whatever needs building up to protect my sit bones, so I do prefer a thicker pad. I have the PI Elite and PRO shorts, and I use the Elite for shorter rides, and the PRO, with a thicker pad, for longer rides.
    2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Kona Jake, Centurion LeMans RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fwiw - I have a pair of DNA Italico bibs, and recently picked up a pair of PI elite. Both were significant upgrades for me, and after riding back to back 75 mile rides for our local MS fundraiser, I am sold on them, at least for rides of that length or longer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NealH View Post
    If you need thicker padding under the sit bones, the Sugoi RS or RSE are the shorts to have.
    The Sugio RS is on my wish list but I was under the impression it had a relatively thin pad. Especially compared to Pearl Izumi's.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have PI pro shorts which are good and I use for trainer rides. My club's team kit is by Voler. I really liked the 2010 chamois in the Voler bib shorts. It was firm but not thick. Monday, I saw and tried on the new Voler bib shorts that we can order for next season. They have a new upgraded chamois that is technically better than the previous version and there is a new updated fabric.

IMO, most of the sit bone problems are due to position and pedaling technique versus the saddle / chamois discussion. The points of support on the bicycle are the sit bones, hands and feet. With each pedal stroke, the feet help support the body. A tough day in the saddle is cruising around sitting back on the saddle in an upright position without much power being applied to the pedals.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtownmatt View Post
    The Sugio RS is on my wish list but I was under the impression it had a relatively thin pad. Especially compared to Pearl Izumi's.
    No, its thicker....at least under the sit bones. The Sugoi uses a stepped transition approach. Under the sit bones the chamois is fairly thick or dense, then it rather quickly steps down to thin. I've heard the comment that the transition can be felt. This is probably true so, if you're used to a thin pad then you might not like it. But I like the extra cushioning plenty. Still, as mentioned above if you're an easy rider with an upright position your sit bones will probably rebel.
    Last edited by NealH; 10-21-11 at 06:50 PM.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    .....snip.....

IMO, most of the sit bone problems are due to position and pedaling technique versus the saddle / chamois discussion. The points of support on the bicycle are the sit bones, hands and feet. With each pedal stroke, the feet help support the body. A tough day in the saddle is cruising around sitting back on the saddle in an upright position without much power being applied to the pedals.
    This makes a lot of sense to me. And, I'll hazard a speculation that for most people saddle matters more than chamois in the grand scheme of things. I have six or seven different sets of bibs/shorts and they all seem work pretty well regardless of chamois thickness. I do prefer bibs with a thicker chamois in cool weather for warming reasons.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The multi-density Cytech pad, as used in Capo's Peloton short, is my current favorite. The Peloton also has the most comfortable straps of any bib I've tried.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbycorno View Post
    So far, my fave is any thin(ish), firm, FLAT, honest-to-God CHAMOIS pad (as in real leather). Synthetics and especially the new "3-D" pads are for the birds! Oh and a leather (as in Brooks) or leather-covered saddle is a must, too. Breatheability is a MAJOR plus! And most synthetics don't breathe well enough for me.

[/rant]

SP
    Bend, OR
    I agree, the old naturals are the best. But where do you find them? Everything new seems to be a synthetic.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFit View Post
    I agree, the old naturals are the best. But where do you find them? Everything new seems to be a synthetic.
    Boure makes an imitation chamois that works well.

No pad, there are 3 layers of fabric, a base layer, a slippery layer and a wicking layer.

http://www.boure.com/1100.html

I like their knickers a lot, and have one pair that's made from regular lycra,
    and another from a thermal fabric that is quite good for Fall riding.
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

My Bikes
    (See sig block)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLafayette View Post
    What are some of your favorite chamois'? ...... I'm sixty and my muscle mass is slowly approaching that age where my riding is not keeping my sit area conditioned. I guess I'm looking for a slightly thicker chamois than the ones on the PI's.
    I'm only a couple of years behind you. My current favorite brand is Endura: http://www.endurasport.com/ They have three grades of chamois in their riding shorts: 200, 400, and 600. My current go-to shorts are a pair with a 400, purchased at my LBS about a year ago.
    2011 Masi Speciale Randonneur
    2009 Trek FX 7.3