Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    1974 Raleigh Grand Prix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reducing arthritis and joint pain- both on the cutting edge and cheap

I just wanted to post links to some research on a short list of substances that originated in plants, many of which have been showing promise in treating a great many health problems. One of them is arthritis and more generally, joint pain/cartilage deterioration.

A growing body of evidence shows that resveratrol protects joints..

Other plant substances, notably curcumin, silymarin, EGCG (green tea), quercetin, etc. also are suddenly the subject of intense inerest in the medical research community.

It is not by any means fringe science. These substances, in the last few years, have become the subject of worldwide, mainstream attention.

Molecular targets of natural health products in arthritis
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...7/?tool=pubmed

The antioxidant resveratrol protects against chondrocyte apoptosis via effects on mitochondrial polarization and ATP production
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1.../art.23799/pdf

Pomegranate extract inhibits the interleukin-1β-induced activation of MKK-3, p38α-MAPK and transcription factor RUNX-2 in human osteoarthritis chondrocytes
    http://arthritis-research.com/content/12/5/R195

Effects of resveratrol in inflammatory arthritis.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17115116

There are lots more on PubMed, just follow the related articles links on the last article to get started finding them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Substances" that originate from plants are called drugs. The drugs that you're referencing are unregulated, wrt efficacy and quality. If you want to experiment on yourself, go ahead. Maybe you already have.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reads more like a cutting edge rip-off. People been searching for Ponce's fountain for ages and to no avail. And rest assured its not going to be found in some plant growing in your front yard.

Eat balanced meals and see you doctor if you have problems.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NealH View Post
    And rest assured its not going to be found in some plant growing in your front yard.
    How about the back yard?

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    How about the back yard?

Well, if its my back yard all you'll find is poison oak and Japanese Kudzu. I kinda doubt this will do much for arthritis.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pessimists abound.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    pessimists abound.
    Ain't it so... one could grow old waiting for the medical establishment to conclude anything.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of those will reduce inflammation.

And that will help all over the body.

Here are some others to play with, Omega 7, Astaxanthin and Ubiqinol.
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

Motorcycle RoadRacer cehowardGS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only speaking for myself, and others might agree or disagree. I have arthritis in my shoulder and arms, and legs. At one time the attacks were very bad. However, I have found out from EXPERIENCE, that daily exercise keeps arthritis at bay, allows me to function better even at my age level. BTW, I don't take NOTHING for the arthritis, maybe a aspirin every once and a while..
    2001 Raleigh R700
    1996 Litespeed Classic
    1995 Klein Quantum
    1989 Cannondale Black Lightning
    1988 Centurion Expert Ironman
    1989 Centurion Master Ironman
    1986 Schwinn Prelude(Beater)
    1986 Raleigh Grand Prix(Beater2)
    1985 Raleigh Prestige
    1985 Raleigh Competition
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #1
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #2 (project #1)
    1985 Raleigh Super Course (project #4)
    1979 Raleigh Competition GS-1

2007 Suzuki GSX R1K (commuter)
    http://www.cehoward.net/pretty.jpg
    74,Old,Dirty,&Fast

the Bayou City perpetually under construction
    My Bikes
    2001 DBR Axis TT, 1998 Trek 5500 OCLV, 1993 Trek 1100, 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1972 Gitane Attic Beater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you just have to take a pill, try MSM for joint health.
    "If we don't change direction, we will end up exactly where we are headed."

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    "Substances" that originate from plants are called drugs. The drugs that you're referencing are unregulated, wrt efficacy and quality. If you want to experiment on yourself, go ahead. Maybe you already have.
    Many of these substances have been known and used for thousands of years, the issue is that you you don't have .03 cents worth of plant material that has been packaged up by big pharma and sold to you for $1.50 a pill....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonefree View Post
    If you just have to take a pill, try MSM for joint health.

MSM? What exactly is that?
    Lately I have been using Glucosamine/Chondroitin, works great for knee pain. Instead of pain and snap, crackle,pop it sounds kinda squishy when you bend your knees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey!!!! christoph this is gracie, actually I'm looking for a supplements to clear the joint pains problem i have the some supplements list but i need best supplement so if you have any idea about the supplements also please share your information here.......

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad G View Post
    Lately I have been using Glucosamine/Chondroitin, works great for knee pain. Instead of pain and snap, crackle,pop it sounds kinda squishy when you bend your knees.
    All placebo. Not a shred of evidence that it works.

My wife has been on industrial strength Turmeric for some time now. I think she gets better relief from willow bark.

Right. Willow bark is the source of aspirin. But now that you can get the stuff in a bottle, it must not be any good

Maybe some of these treatments will pan out. I hope so because I would take them myself. But in vitro activity doesn't always translate into in vivo ​effectiveness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Ain't it so... one could grow old waiting for the medical establishment to conclude anything.
    If you laid all the doctors in the world end to end they still wouldn't reach a conclusion.

My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD 8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have severe RA and take Enbrel, Methotrexate and Meloxicam (mobic)... Helps, while i was waiting to be diagnosed i was on Prednisone for 2.5 years and develloped Type 2 DIabetes...That is why i started cycling...The cycling helps my knees more than anything i have done over the last 10 years...I can pedal and a very nice cadence and do 20 miles i find without ANY joint pain...My muscles now ,,,, LOL yhat's another story...working on that...I tried MSM, Chondroitin and Glucosamine either by themselves or all together with absolutely no results... My rheumatologist said while not really snake oil it is hit or miss in about 75% of his patients...Catching it on time and treating it is the best to prevent real joint damages...
    BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE.....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
    If you laid all the doctors in the world end to end they still wouldn't reach a conclusion.
    Hey! That's my line. I want an asterisk or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about that. Hope there isn't a repeat fee.

My Bikes
    Trek FX 7.6, 2013 Fuji Rubaix 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had arthroscopic surgery on both knees and been diagnosed with arthritis in my left knee. I used glucosamin & condroitin for a while but on my annual physical the doctor noticed some abnormal liver numbers. I stopped taking it and all went back to normal.

Since then I came across Voltaren Gel. My knee has ached for years. With voltaren twice a day my knee pain is completely gone and I exercise on an elliptic for forty minutes and ride my bike the same length each day. The advantage of Voltaren is the aspirin in it goes right to the joint instead of throughout the body. I read somewhere your system gets only 1-2% of the NSAID from a normal aspirin.

Rich

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    All placebo. Not a shred of evidence that it works.
    Don't know (or really care) what 'evidence' you feel you need before trying glucosamine/chondroitin, but MY personal experience is: it DOES work, no placebo involved. I've done straight gluco, little effect. Done gluco/chon/MSM, no EXTRA effect from the MSM. Done gluco/chon/hyaluronic acid, terrible side effects.

Being a suspicious and skeptical person, placebo effects are largely lost on me. If I try some sort of preparation for an issue, I DON'T just EXPECT it to work, I wait and see IF it does.

I'm actually GLAD there's "not a shred of evidence" -- that means the f'n FDA will leave it alone, and the cost will stay down.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post
    Don't know (or really care) what 'evidence' you feel you need before trying glucosamine/chondroitin, but MY personal experience is: it DOES work, no placebo involved. I've done straight gluco, little effect. Done gluco/chon/MSM, no EXTRA effect from the MSM. Done gluco/chon/hyaluronic acid, terrible side effects.

Being a suspicious and skeptical person, placebo effects are largely lost on me. If I try some sort of preparation for an issue, I DON'T just EXPECT it to work, I wait and see IF it does.

I'm actually GLAD there's "not a shred of evidence" -- that means the f'n FDA will leave it alone, and the cost will stay down.
    I accept the reprimand, intended or not, and admit my post was needlessly brusque.

A bit of context, and I mean nothing personal in this: an "explosive" article came out recently, here: http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org...405-9/fulltext

The article is called medical reversals and outlines 146 things that doctors thought were good ideas that, in the opinion of the authors, proved to be flat wrong.

I read the entire thing. As I was working down the list, there was one "blunder" after another: this thing didn't work, that thing was counterproductive, and this thing over here was a flat disaster. I imagined readers saying, "Yeah, you arrogant creeps. Think you know everything, wrong half the time, and you charge too much".

Then when I got to the entry about the ineffectiveness of glucosamine, I imagined people hopping up and yelling, "Now wait a minute!! You've gone too far!!!".

It's like the old Southern joke: watch it, preacher man, you've gone from preaching to meddling with that one".

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Notgrownup View Post
    I have severe RA and take Enbrel, Methotrexate and Meloxicam (mobic)... Helps, while i was waiting to be diagnosed i was on Prednisone for 2.5 years and develloped Type 2 DIabetes...That is why i started cycling...The cycling helps my knees more than anything i have done over the last 10 years...I can pedal and a very nice cadence and do 20 miles i find without ANY joint pain...My muscles now ,,,, LOL yhat's another story...working on that...I tried MSM, Chondroitin and Glucosamine either by themselves or all together with absolutely no results... My rheumatologist said while not really snake oil it is hit or miss in about 75% of his patients...Catching it on time and treating it is the best to prevent real joint damages...
    i agree. i have both osteoarthritis and RA and i am taking methotrexiate, predisone when i have the flares and leflunomide tho i don't want to take these meds i do find that it does help tremendously. the VA has already told me i should be on enbril, with Iv 1 x monthly but so far i am staying away from that as long as i can. Cycling does help quite a lot, but when the flares hit nothing seems to help
    "Advantages Must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Aw crap, I think I'm going to quit:

My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD 8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me the Enbrel made the most difference...I give myself a shot once a week...They offer a Copay card and it only costs me $10.00 a month...
    BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I'm sure the OP has read this re resveratrol : http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...ercise/277993/

Oh crap, I'm drinking a glass of red wine right now.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast