Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question from a maybe silly person

As I was finishing PT today the Therapist made a point of showing me a picture of a man some several years older than me completing a triathlon. It was The Triathlon, The Iron Man. She was the latest in a string of people suggesting I train for and compete in a full triathlon. That leads me to some reality checking.

How many of you in the 70+ bracket do triathlons? How many do you know who are elders and do triathlons?

Obstacles? Lessons Learned?

At first glance it seems silly for me to even consider such a thing. But, at the same time the prospect is tantalizing.

Responses?
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not start with a Sprint Tri first?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug64 View Post
    Why not start with a Sprint Tri first?
    +1

Our sprint tris are:

swim 500 yards

ride about 13 miles

run (walk is OK) - 5km - 3.3 miles

I am considering for next September, when we have the rec center "Fall Frenzy"
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-19-11 at 08:00 PM.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm only 66 and I don't do triathlons. I've had arthroscopic surgery on both knees and the doc said my running days are over -- but he said I can ride until I'm 100.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I'm fond of telling my kids, I'll bet you're capable of a whole lot more than you think you are.

SP
    Bend, OR

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you like to ride? Do you like to swim? Can you tolerate a little running? If you do, and your Doc is suggesting it; You should totally go for it!!
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never learned to swim. I tried to learn a few years ago after one of my daughters did the tri in Lake Placid NY. I was there for the event and even worked an aid station. I got the bug when she introduced me to a guy after he did the tri too. He was 73. The difference was, this was his umteenth tri. I had never run, and can't swim either. Well my daughter got me into running but the swimming was a different matter. I just got discouraged with the swimming thing and decided, I can live without doing a tri.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the others said, if the idea appeals to you, go ahead and try a small one to start. For a good many of us the impact associated with running would be a problem. For me personally, I'm just not into swimming all that much and see no reason to let it and running get in the way of cycling (and core training).

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember hearing the quote that triathlons sounded like fun except for the running and swimming parts, and that's pretty much me.

One of our local riders started taking up triathlons and did his first Ironman a while back. He's mid-50's. But he spent a lot of time working on the swimming part, too. As in going down and swimming for a couple of hours every day. Unless you're already good at it, that's not just something that happens on its own. And if you have classical cyclist physique, you may be a worse swimmer than the average non-rider.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the Dr. is setting up a "goal" when what really counts is the training. Go for it.
    Just Peddlin' Around

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, triathlons never appealed to me. Maybe it is the notion of timing how fast you can change your clothes (transition time) that bothers me.

It probably depends on what floats your boat. The running part can easily blow your knees up. Running is high impact and on us older coots, we maybe do not have that much mileage left. I would prefer to be able to walk more years and indulge in other ways of exerting myself that are low impact like cycling.

Quite a few people thrive on triathlons, so if it motivates you, you enjoy it and your joints are ok, then it is your call.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatW View Post
    Personally, triathlons never appealed to me. Maybe it is the notion of timing how fast you can change your clothes (transition time) that bothers me.

It probably depends on what floats your boat. The running part can easily blow your knees up. Running is high impact and on us older coots, we maybe do not have that much mileage left. I would prefer to be able to walk more years and indulge in other ways of exerting myself that are low impact like cycling.

Quite a few people thrive on triathlons, so if it motivates you, you enjoy it and your joints are ok, then it is your call.
    For me, the time of completion and placing in the event would not be important. Like a century, simply finishing would be my goal. As to the running, I have observed our very informal "fall frenzy" - open to all - and I see lots of folks walking instead of running.

Actually, only a couple of folks competed in my age (70-74) category last year.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't swim-Don't run-Bike a bit.

I'll stick to cycling.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input.

I had no intention of starting out with a full triathlon. Good to see y'all agree. But, given how the subject came up from different sources the idea of a short one is intriguing. Actually, my rehab includes the kinds of things I should be doing anyway for training, except for running. I just need to expand a bit and focus.

We'll see.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    09 Giant Cypress DX, 89 Schwinn Cruiser Supreme
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my favorite things about cycling is....there is no running.
    Set phasers to butt-whup!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laserman View Post
    One of my favorite things about cycling is....there is no running.
    Completely and absolutely correct. I tried running a few years ago, figuring that if I can cycle a few thousand miles a year, I run a couple. Ended up with a bone bruise in my knee (if long had pronated ankles). Running is bad for you.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine doing a Triathlon. I've always been a sprinter not a distance runner and thanks to college football my running days are long past. Cycling doesn't hurt my body and my limits on the bike are really all about my commitment to riding more than I do now.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to run a lot when I was in my 40's, but my knees can no longer take more than half a mile, so I no longer run. Being born and raised in Florida, you would think that I can swim like a fish; not so! I can swim the length of my daughter's swimming pool but after that, I'm done for. For me cycling is the way to go. However, if you are able to do the running and swimming, then I say go for it. If it helps with whatever you are doing your PT for, it can't hurt. Especially, when your doctor suggested it.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to run 800+ miles a year, but injuries took their toll. Not a swimmer. Still, no reason why a sprint tri wouldn't be doable with a good coach. The swim part seems to be the hardest for many people, based on what friends have told me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I trained for a half marathon last spring with a program i got online called training for a half marathon for beginners.It was just to get me to the finish line,which it did but it was a 12 week training plan.I cannot imagine the time it would take to train for a full triathlon like the Ironman.