Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   New to forum (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/776614-new-forum.html)

balbrt1 10-20-11 10:15 AM

New to forum

I am 62 and returned to biking about 7 yrs ago. I started with a Schwinn but just a week ago I bought a Trek Pure Deluxe lowrider. I am only 4 ft 11in so it was hard to find a bike to fit me. How does everyone feel about this bike. Did I make the wrong choice? We camp alot and retiring soon and love to ride. Not an endurance rider just fun. No races for me. I just want to keep up with everyone...Thank you so much.

Daspydyr 10-20-11 10:27 AM

Welcome aboard Balbrt1. Biking is a huge way to stay in shape and enjoy life. The Trek is a nice bike and would be good for cruising around camp grounds and running out for coffee and a few errands around the house. Plus the three speeds give you some choices for uphills and down. If in your camping, you want to try some of the single track trails or fire roads, you might wish that you had picked up a bike with my gears and at least a front suspension fork.

But for fun and general riding, that should be a very worthy choice.

Dan Burkhart 10-20-11 11:14 AM

Hi, and welcome. That is Trek's version of flatfoot technology,(meaning you can put your feet flat on the ground with the seat set for proper leg extension) and should be very nice for casual riding. Hope you have tons of fun with it.

teachme 10-20-11 12:03 PM

:welcome

leob1 10-20-11 01:00 PM

Smiles not miles.
Enjoy the ride.

AzTallRider 10-20-11 02:34 PM

Welcome to the forum. Ride lots... the more you ride, the easier and more comfortable it becomes. Miles ARE smiles! :thumb:

chasm54 10-20-11 02:39 PM

Welcome. As for the bike, do you like it? Are you comfortable riding it? If the answer to these questions is yes, you have made a good choice

goldfinch 10-20-11 03:08 PM

I am 4'11" too, so I know the difficulties in finding bikes that fit. My concern with the Pure is whether the handlebars are too high and far away. But, it does look like you can bring the bars forward and down on that bike, or at least the pictures look that way, so some adjustment is possible.

As chasm says, what is important is whether you are comfortable riding the bike.

scottogo 10-20-11 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great! I have a Townie and really like it. Reversing the stem which holds the handlebars made it an easier reach.

balbrt1 10-20-11 05:33 PM

Thank you for all your warm greetings. Since I have not gotten to ride much do to work.:( jobs always get in the way...lol. I am not sure about the adjustments and may have to reverse the handle bars more. Nice to know you can do that. Being short is not fun. I will let you all know after this weekend..

zonatandem 10-20-11 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=223837
My wife/stoker is also 'height-impaired' at 4 ft. 10 3/4 inches.
She has covered over 230,000 miles (right amount of zeroes) on custom tandems with me since 1975. And she's only 76 years old . . .
You've got lots of riding miles left before and during retirement!
If it fits, and you are comfortable, then the bike is A-OK for you.
Pedal on!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem

Beverly 10-20-11 06:32 PM

Welcome :)

As others have said, if you enjoy riding the bike then you've made the right choice.

big john 10-20-11 07:19 PM

Welcome to the forum. Any bike you enjoy is the right bike for you.
Here is my friend who is 4'10" and has a custom Seven road bike with which she kicks butt.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...john53/lea.jpg

BluesDawg 10-20-11 08:08 PM

Welcome. Enjoy your new bike. Ride it forever or until you decide you want a different one. :)

qcpmsame 10-21-11 09:10 AM

Welcome aboard BF and to the 50+ gang. My wife is vertically challenged but still manages to enjoy riding a lot. Have fun with your bicycle rides.

lphilpot 10-21-11 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by balbrt1 (Post 13390780)
I am 62 and returned to biking about 7 yrs ago. I started with a Schwinn but just a week ago I bought a Trek Pure Deluxe lowrider. I am only 4 ft 11in so it was hard to find a bike to fit me. How does everyone feel about this bike.

My wife is 5' 2" and has a Trek Pure Lowstep. We bought it for the same reasons - She can easily get on/off it and it's a good casual ride.

Banded Krait 10-21-11 07:15 PM

Welcome, balbrt1! Enjoy your bike and come back often to share your experiences with us.

balbrt1 10-27-11 07:15 AM

I finally got to ride my new and it was "Pure Joy" Very smooth and comfortable. I did make the right choice.

Beverly 10-27-11 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by balbrt1 (Post 13419150)
I finally got to ride my new and it was "Pure Joy" Very smooth and comfortable. I did make the right choice.

This is good to hear:thumb:

Dan Burkhart 10-27-11 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by balbrt1 (Post 13419150)

Great! Nothing better than starting off with the right bike. Waiting to read about your adventures.

az_cyclist 10-27-11 10:52 AM

Welcome to the forum, balbrt1 :)