Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   N+1 dilema. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/776963-n-1-dilema.html)

skilsaw 10-21-11 07:24 PM

N+1 dilema.

Went into one of the bigger bike shops in Town today to sniff the grease, and saw a Madone 5.5 Pro for $3500. That appears to be a truly excellent bike for that price. The bike (without riding it) is my size. The problem is that I've been thinking my next "bike" will be a canoe. I've just been holding off while I build up the bank balance.

So I must deal with my bicycle coveting and bike lust until it fades away. Tough being in the "me first and deny me nothing" generation. Learning to delay gratification is so hard!

teachme 10-21-11 08:28 PM

Take a deep breath... Step away from the bicycle... Feel better now?

Louis 10-21-11 08:49 PM

Bike or canoe, hurry before you squander the money on something foolish like food and shelter.

Sgt Mac 10-21-11 08:54 PM

Hold off on the canoe until spring, winter she's coming, & if you really like the bike I would get it. I have spent $9K on bikes in the last 2 months alone, I just need/want one more.

stapfam 10-22-11 01:16 AM

Get the test ride and see if you want it more--

lookinUp 10-22-11 09:36 AM

skilsaw...

You can always rent a canoe!

Get the bike. FWIW, I just got a Madone 4.5 wsd instead of new kitchen cabinets. NO REGRETS! The Madone is awsome.

overthehillmedi 10-22-11 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by lookinUp (Post 13399322)
skilsaw...

You can always rent a canoe!

Get the bike. FWIW, I just got a Madone 4.5 wsd instead of new kitchen cabinets. NO REGRETS! The Madone is awsome.

What does SWMBO think of you getting a new ride and her kitchen not getting new cabinets, and how did you resolve the conflict?

cranky old dude 10-22-11 10:08 AM

Problem solved...

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...ayak-2012.html

...and you can buy two for the cost of the Madone.

Now wasn't that easy? :D

lookinUp 10-22-11 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by overthehillmedi (Post 13399380)
What does SWMBO think of you getting a new ride and her kitchen not getting new cabinets, and how did you resolve the conflict?

Since I AM the SWMBO and report to no one - pretty much do as I please... and I 'pleased' a new bike!

david58 10-22-11 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by skilsaw (Post 13397781)
Went into one of the bigger bike shops in Town today to sniff the grease, and saw a Madone 5.5 Pro for $3500. That appears to be a truly excellent bike for that price. The bike (without riding it) is my size. The problem is that I've been thinking my next "bike" will be a canoe. I've just been holding off while I build up the bank balance.

So I must deal with my bicycle coveting and bike lust until it fades away. Tough being in the "me first and deny me nothing" generation. Learning to delay gratification is so hard!

That delayed gratification stuff is tough (says the guy that just bought two new bikes...).

What is your ride today? Maybe go out in the garage, clean it up, love on it a bit, and the desire for a Madonegasm will decline.

Heresy on this site I know, but a nice canoe is as beautiful a thing as a nice bike (I'm saving for one now that I gratificationed myself with the bikes for me and SWMBO).

BikeWNC 10-22-11 01:55 PM

Delayed gratification for what? The grave? lol We all must live within our means but when it comes between kitchen cabinets and a bike come on, is there really a choice? I can hear the guys talking now. I really like hanging out with lookinUp and her new cabinets. haha

stapfam 10-22-11 02:40 PM

I retire in January- or may do. Money is going to be tight but I still want N+1. So I will work on for a few months to get N+1. May mean that if I work for 4 months I can get the top of the range instead of the base model. Just face- I will have a long retirement so might aswell make the most of it with a bike I enjoy riding instead of wondering how good the top of the line model would have been.

Go on- test ride the Madone- you know you are worth it.

Louis 10-22-11 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by BikeWNC (Post 13399930)
Delayed gratification for what? The grave? lol We all must live within our means but when it comes between kitchen cabinets and a bike come on, is there really a choice? I can hear the guys talking now. I really like hanging out with lookinUp and her new cabinets. haha

:lol: