Thread: Seeking Advise

My Bikes
    Cannondale Caad 8, Cannondale Quick 5, Gary Fisher Aquila
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeking Advise

I am new to road biking and purchasred a 2010 Cannondale Caad 8 I have been riding every chance I get. Love the bike but it seems every time I am out something allways go wrong with it .From the derailer going to far ,the chain snapped in half and today a spoke just broke.
    I have been averaging 25 to 30 miles with speeds averaging out to 16.5 miles a hour on smoth roads and have never hit anything.I enjoy this bike very much and was debating upgrading the rims and crank.My other choice is to upgrade to a super six but I now wonder if this is a Cannondale problem and should I just buy a Specialized or a Trek.
    I would realy like some feed back as I realy enjoy this sport and would like to make the correct choice.

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much do you weigh? How many miles on the bike? What maintenance do you do?

The derailluer was an adjustment issue that could happen on any bike. If it was the RD and a drive-side rear spoke, they could be connected. Chaain snapping is usually lack of maintenance. None of it sounds brand-specific.

I understand a new wheelset but what is the reason to replace the crankset? New bikes are cool but, if you don't keep up on maintenance, you will have problems. Even with maintenance, things wear out and break.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CACy is asking good questions. Sounds like the bike is not dialed in properly. A routine maintenance at a bike shop might get everything squared up for you. A derailer going to far is a simple adjustment gone bad. Swammie sees a Rim Truing in your near future.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Cannondale" is just the frame. The components that you had issues with are found on many other brands of bikes. In what order did those thing happen and how were the rectified? If the rear derailer went to far, the chain might have been damaged. If it or the chain hit the spokes, the spokes probably got nicked and that will cause them to break. So, one improper adjustment could be the cause of all those problems.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problems you mention could very likely be due to parts needing routine adjustments.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You say you are new to Road Biking. I'll answer your quest assuming you are either new to cycling as a sport or returning to cycling after a long absence and are unfamiliar with modern equipment. Not knowing your skill level mechanicaly, I'll refrain from trying to address the mechanical issues you've listed in an effort to not muddy the waters.

I would advise shopping for a nearby bike shop that you can trust (easier said than done, especially in rural areas). A good shop can not only maintain your machine but can also teach you the maintainance basics if you don't already have those skills. Once your bike is in tip-top shape and you possess the basic skills necessary to change tires, assess chain and cassette wear, and change cables and brake pads your road trips should become a long series of very enjoyable adventures.

There are also many internet sites from which one can learn basic bicycle mechanics. This forum has a section dedicated to bicycle mechanicals and repair. Park Tools has a very descriptive repair site complete with pictures. There are many tutorials on You Tube.

Welcome aboard and be sure to let us know how you make out with your new bike.
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 10-22-11 at 01:50 PM.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome and enjoy.

I'm not a mechanic, so I 2nd the recommendation to find a GOOD Local Bike Shop (LBS) to keep things in order, or learn to do them yourself.

As to the various parts, I'll reemphasize what was mentioned above. The Cannondale refers to who "made" the frame and assembled the bike. Actually, the frame was probably designed by C'dale, and made, along with many other brands, in a factory in Taiwan or China.

Once a frame is completed, then standard parts from just a few manufacturers are placed on the bike. Common ones are Shimano, Campagnola and SRAM. These are the same parts that go on dozens of "name-brand" bicycles - Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Jamis and many others. These would include the front Chain Rings, the rear derailleur and cog set, the chain, the brakes among other parts.

So, buying a new brand of bikes won't solve ytour problem, which is one of adjustment of parts, possibly your weight and where you ride?? etc.

Good luck.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-22-11 at 01:48 PM.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you bought the bike new, you should have brought it back into the shop after several rides to have it adjusted. Cables stretch, wheel spokes loosen, especially rear non drive side spokes. It's also possible it wasn't perfectly dialed in when you bought it. That's not too unusual though a good shop will test ride it before it goes out the door. Take it back in and get it checked out. Have the wheels checked for tension and the shifting adjusted. All should be ok after that.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Third the suggestion to find a Good Bike Shop In Which You Have Confidence. This may take a bit of shopping as bike shops have personalities almost like people. Once you find "your shop" make sure they understand what you want and that you are willing to pay for it. Later, as you get experience you may want to do your own work. For now take their suggestions.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. The bike only has 300 miles on it I weigh 260 lbs as far as maintaince all I have done so far was clean and lube the bike. I did not think that a bike that was basicly not even broken in should have these problems but if its lack of maintaince I will purchace a manual and keep on top of it. The reason I was going to replace the wheelset and crankset is that the bike store recomended it they said that replacing the maddux with mavics would make the bike lighter and mavics are a better wheel.I was also told that the stock crankset is much heavier than some of the higher end cranksets. I bought this bike to go what I consider long distance but now wonder about what might go wrong next my goal is to go 50 to 75 miles when I take this bike out.I have a cannondale quick 5 that I go 30 miles on no problem and its only 2 months older than the caad 8 it has not ever given me a problem with over a 1000 miles on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't upgrade any of those parts for quite sometime, I'd ride that bike for at least two years before I'd consider those upgrades.

As far as the broken chain not sure why that happened, could have been defective or over stressed. "The derailuer went too far" which one? Front derailuers can move the chain off the chainring if not adjusted properly, rear derailuers sometimes get bent out of alignment. Spokes break from hitting bumps, if they are nicked or if they are not robust enough to support a particular rider's weight, sometimes they are defective and break (I had a two month old spoke break this summer).

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically any new bike will need some minor adjustments in the first 500 miles.
    Cables stretch, spokes may need to be retensioned, der. and brakes adjusted.
    The shop where you bought it should be able to do that; many shops offer free adjusments after initial break in.
    Stick with the components you've got and learn to do your own maintenance.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix/upgrade it!

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with not changing the wheelsets or the crank out. You don't need a real light weight wheelset with your build. I kept the 32h wheelsets on my R500 C'dale. I weigh 237 and am 6'-1" and want the stability and reliability the stouter wheel assemblies give me. I doubt you would notice any difference with the different crankset except the lightness in your wallet. Your bike is a super model and will serve you well. As said these are component problems not Cannondale problems. It seems like things were not set up 100% and you experienced the failures close together.

I'd hold the LBS to making the bike right and get it properly set up for you. You paid good money for it so they should stand behind their sale. Best of luck and hope you enjoy the CAAD 8 and riding.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One question,Did you buy the CAAD 8 new or used? That matters in whether and why things failed.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Endura, 1977 Peugeot A08, 1973 Mercier 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree with most posts, you dont need lighter stuff, hang on and once you loose some weight your ride will lighten up, Hopewell eh! I got a friend on clovebranch rd.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first read the title of this thread I thought it said "Seeking Abuse." Silly me.
    more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The chain snapping issue is pretty strange. I have ridden a pile of miles and I have replaced many, many chains because of wear. I have never had a chain snap. I wonder if you chain was properly installed. Something isn't right.

Bicycle manufacturers generally make the frame only. The major component manufacturers like Shimano, Campy and SRAM make the deraillers, brakes, cranks, hubs, headset, chains and so on.

A bike needs maintenance and it needs adjusting. Like the others, I think your going to a good mechanic and having the components adjusted and possibly cleaned and lubed would be a very good idea.

Normally a quality road bike will give you thousands of miles of fine performance (I and other people I know have had bikes go for tens of thousands of miles without significant incident) as long as it is given decent routine maintenance.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bill
    I did buy the bike brand new and I will take your advise

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)