Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2, 2010 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A unique way to deal with demon possessed dogs

I've had my own share of run ins with evil demon possessed dogs. Here is a unique method for dealing with them:

Big Dog Bark!!

BTW this Blog happens to be one of my favorites. I read it daily! No it's not mine...

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the thinking behind my shouting "NO!" in as large and deep a voice as I can muster. That and the hope that the dog has heard the command enough times before that somewhere in his brain stem is an automatic reaction to stop, at least for a split-second.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My fav dog-deterrent almost happened on yesterday's ride. As I rode by one house where a man was raking leaves, a large dog suddenly broke from behind the man and hit the pavement right behind me, toenails a-clattering. The mini-van who'd been getting ready to pass me almost nailed it.

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, I'd like to imitate a pit bull in a full on Michael Vick death match; combined w/ VF's link suggestion, that would be most satisfying, indeed. Especially if I can end up chasing the dog for a while.

My Bikes
    surly LHT, surly CC, trek 5000, paris sport fixie (my 1970 bike...repurposed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    This is the thinking behind my shouting "NO!" in as large and deep a voice as I can muster. That and the hope that the dog has heard the command enough times before that somewhere in his brain stem is an automatic reaction to stop, at least for a split-second.
    +1. I do same and it does give you an extra second to make your getaway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ruff ruff.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest problem with dogs is it can be very difficult to guess their intensions.

My original pair would have been a nightmare for the tough guy attitude, and that includes this version.

Now mine rarely got out, so no danger to people. And the way to go was to treat them as friendly (and if they did get out and were away from home it is doubtful they would seem aggressive).

But they would present a very real danger to a cyclist with the bark strategy. Why? because they would see that as an invitation to play. A playful jump can translate to a broken collarbone.

Actually the waterbottle squirt is a pretty good idea, most dogs dislike it, but no harm, no revenge trigger in the dogs. With my pair one would hate it, the other not. But the one would did not hate it would have enjoyed it, which would have been more than enough distraction to let you be gone.
    Perish any man who suspects that these men either did or suffered anything unseemly.

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VertigoFlyer View Post
    I've had my own share of run ins with evil demon possessed dogs. Here is a unique method for dealing with them:

Big Dog Bark!!

BTW this Blog happens to be one of my favorites. I read it daily! No it's not mine...
    I'm wondering if one of those boat air horns would work, Okay mutt, try this on for size, BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARP!!!!!!

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still like a can of wasp and hornet spray. It sprays 15 feet in a straight line.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    I still like a can of wasp and hornet spray. It sprays 15 feet in a straight line.
    I hope you are joking. Spraying poison chemical into a dogs face is very cruel and wrong. If you must, use pepper spray that will not cause permanent damage.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAura View Post
    I hope you are joking. Spraying poison chemical into a dogs face is very cruel and wrong. If you must, use pepper spray that will not cause permanent damage.
    Crashing due to a dog attack could cause permanent damage to ME. I wouldn't havewasp spray with me unless it was a repeat problem, but you can be certain that if it was, the dog's welfare would be way down my list of priorities.

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    My method too. Never had it fail yet.

Works on some motorists too.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just couldn't bring myself to yell (or bark) at the last dog that chased me. Actually, he was more of an undernourished rat named Buck, and his owner was hobbling after him as fast as he could. I stopped so the owner could catch up and carry Buck home. We exchanged some friendly words and he clearly understood how awful it would be for Buck to get in front of a bike heading down the hill as opposed to up. He was setting to work on the fence as I rode home later that day.

Why is it nice people have harmless dogs and jerks have pit bulls?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my many dog encounters featured a not-so-pleasant conversation with the dogs owner. He finally told me that I should "stay in the city where I belong...this is the country".

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    One of my many dog encounters featured a not-so-pleasant conversation with the dogs owner. He finally told me that I should "stay in the city where I belong...this is the country".

I love that one. I've had that line delivered to me by folks who lived in the suburbs that I passed through on my way to work from home. At the time, I lived sixty miles from the city along a river in the forest in what I also considered to be the suburbs. I consider anyplace where most of the people living there commute into the city to be a suburb. If most of the people make their living off of the land or the place is unpopulated, then it is rural.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    Let us see now: Spraying a poison in an uncontrolled way in public. Owner and maybe the owner's children are exposed when they contact the dog. Bystanders are exposed to poison depending on wind. Dog dies due to poison. Yep, just the way to deal with the situation.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    I love that one. I've had that line delivered to me by folks who lived in the suburbs that I passed through on my way to work from home. At the time, I lived sixty miles from the city along a river in the forest in what I also considered to be the suburbs. I consider anyplace where most of the people living there commute into the city to be a suburb. If most of the people make their living off of the land or the place is unpopulated, then it is rural.
    Agreed.

I almost laughed in his face when he said that. I grew up around farms, I had horses as a kid, I've bailed hay, I've shoveled manure. Still can't figure out what made him think I was a city boy.

Banned
    My Bikes
    2011 Giant Defy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my neighbors psycho dogs got out and was waiting for me at the end of my driveway. I locked up the brakes on my bike, pulled out my trusty K-Bar (USMC Fighting knife) & offered my arm to the dog all the while wearing a menacing warface and yelling come on MFR You want some of this, come and get it. All the while I am marching toward the dog with my left arm out front as bait. But I accomplished exactly what I thought I would. The last thing he thought was that I would stand up to him an 80+lb German Sheppard, I backed him all the way off my property and back on to his, with his head down and tail tucked. Had he actually bitten me I would have decapitated him. Sounds cruel, but I have a daughter and had he thought he could terrorize us with impunity and attacked my little girl, I shudder to think of what I would have done to the owners.

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post

Yes and the country way to deal with a dog that is attacking you is a 12 gauge or at least a 22, which does not bode well for the dog. I still say, it's not the dogs fault, it's the owners.... The owner should have the dog properly trained or keep the dog tied up. I've seen dogs that were trained to know how to guard property, and they wouldn't dream of chasing a car or a bicycle down the street, unless that car or bicycle came onto their property, then of course if the person was known by the dog, they would still be okay.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Mac View Post
    . . . I locked up the brakes on my bike . . .
    Over the years I've found this sudden STOP a key for dealing with potentially troublesome dogs. That not only transforms us from chase toy or potential prey to human but also provides us with a stable platform for whatever action is required. Almost all dogs prove either friendly or disinterested. Others can receive our full attention whether that means a loud "No! Bad dog!," the swing of a frame pump or the promise of a K-Bar insertion.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    Crashing due to a dog attack could cause permanent damage to ME. I wouldn't havewasp spray with me unless it was a repeat problem, but you can be certain that if it was, the dog's welfare would be way down my list of priorities.
    Wait a minute, who's repeating the problem, you or the dog? Once again, use pepper spay if you must, NOT TOXIC CHEMICALS. Plus, aren't you BlazingPedals who should be able to out pedal a dog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Challenging dogs can be a rewarding proposition. I've done it myself many times with good results. First, some rules.The larger dogs who aren't making any noise and aren't bothering you should be left alone. They are the self confident ones who know there is no need to prove themselves by making noise. They will deal with you if they have to, and they're able to do so. Second, leave all pit bulls alone. Avoid them, and run if you have to.

Most of the rest are insecure dogs who think making lots of noise lets their owners know they are "on the job". They quickly fold when challenged. Or you can simply chase them so far away that they will never find their way home. This usually solves the problem permanently.

The 'big bark' works well too. Once, on a walk through the neighborhood, an owner was in the front yard gardening. Her dog was on the sidewalk, barking like mad at me, while I was across the street. I stopped and let this go on for a few minutes, with no response from the owner. I walked across the street, dropped to my knees in front of the dog. "Face to face', the barking continued. I grabbed his collar, twisted it tight, and let out the big bark while we were nose to nose. When I let go the dog it ran off, whimpering all the way. It was an inside dog after that. bk

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAura View Post
    Wait a minute, who's repeating the problem, you or the dog? Once again, use pepper spay if you must, NOT TOXIC CHEMICALS. Plus, aren't you BlazingPedals who should be able to out pedal a dog.
    No, I can't always outrun a dog. Oh, small and medium-sized dogs on flat ground are not a big problem unless they're lying in wait for you. But the big ones can sprint faster than any bike. I've done all the stuff listed by others, at one time or another. Chasing a cowardly German Shepard back home was a fun one. But some dogs just don't give up. Ever had a pack of three of them encircle you? I have. For them, it's either them or you. I presume from your reaction that their welfare is more important to you than you are?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we supposed to worry about damaging the dog? Nah, no way. bk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope! Never worry about damaging the dog, just worry about the dog's owner damaging you in retaliation! You people are full of it.

There seems to have been quite a bit of imagination involved in creating some of the fairy tales posted in this thread. No doubt inspired by all the video games which have replaced real life experiences for many of the worlds less fortunate souls. If some of you had been given a dog and the responsibility of caring for it instead of a TV, a video game, an I pod or a cell phone, you would have a better grasp of reality. It is amazing how ignorance of the canine world can result in the ignorant spreading such large helpings of bovine waste.
    Larry

It is truly amazing how intelligent we think a person is when he agrees with us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast