Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Head Cam advice needed.

I am seriously thinking about a Head cam for cycling. I was initially thinking about the GO-Pro in one form or the other but They are not cheap in the UK. Maybe cheaper in the US if I can find a link to a US Supplier--Help needed on the link though if anyone has one.

BUT a couple of bad points and one is viewing that you have set the camera up correctly. There is no preview screen on the camera to see if you have it in the right place-------so Looked at the Drift HD170 and the X170. Seems to be a More user friendly unit and a bit smaller in profile so less impact area.

Now I know there are Go Pro's in Various Formats and quality- and the same with the Drift. Would I need the higher definition cameras- hence more expensive- to get good cycling videos? Can I get by with the lower definition camera? Just face it- If I want a good video - then out would come the proper camera.

So help

Anyone got experience of either with the +s or -s? And anyone got a link to a reliable Online supplier in the US?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a ContourHD. Nice little unit, but also has no preview. It's easy to use and takes pretty good pics. If you're going to put stuff on youtube et. al. then you don't need super-high def because the compression algorithm on the posting site will kill the HD anyway. Here is a clip I took at the *lowest possible* resolution on the Contour. There's lots of user-submitted videos on the Contour website, under 'community.'

The GoPro seems to be a well-liked unit, although it'd be clunky sitting on a helmet. Don't know anything about the Drift 170, except to say it looks interesting. You obviously won't be able to use the preview screen while it's attached to your helmet and you're recording.

On-One/Titus USA
    My Bikes
    Lots +1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I am seriously thinking about a Head cam for cycling. I was initially thinking about the GO-Pro in one form or the other but They are not cheap in the UK. Maybe cheaper in the US if I can find a link to a US Supplier--Help needed on the link though if anyone has one.

BUT a couple of bad points and one is viewing that you have set the camera up correctly. There is no preview screen on the camera to see if you have it in the right place-------so Looked at the Drift HD170 and the X170. Seems to be a More user friendly unit and a bit smaller in profile so less impact area.

Now I know there are Go Pro's in Various Formats and quality- and the same with the Drift. Would I need the higher definition cameras- hence more expensive- to get good cycling videos? Can I get by with the lower definition camera? Just face it- If I want a good video - then out would come the proper camera.

So help

Anyone got experience of either with the +s or -s? And anyone got a link to a reliable Online supplier in the US?
    The ContourHD is now a discontinued model and can be found all over (at least in the US) for $138 including Amazon.

For a camera with a preview, I have the Drift Innovations. It has a built in LCD screen that makes it VERY easy to aim, preview and review your shots.
    titusti.com
    mtbtires.com
    Why I Ride Dropbars
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ContourRoam is supposed to arrive tonight. It is the updated version of the ContourHD. This version is waterproof and shock proof which would be good for your area. There is no screen but it has laser sighting. Amazon has them as well as others.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    2013 Scott CR1 Pro carbon, 2013 Brompton S6L-X titanium, 2013 Citizen Tokyo steel
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gopro sells an optional LCD screen:
    http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/lcd-bacpac/

Unfortunately it's not available for my model, Gopro HD Hero 960(video set at 720p):

On-One/Titus USA
    My Bikes
    Lots +1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    My ContourRoam is supposed to arrive tonight. It is the updated version of the ContourHD. This version is waterproof and shock proof which would be good for your area. There is no screen but it has laser sighting. Amazon has them as well as others.
    The Roam also has a wider angle lens than the HD.

I picked the HD for my second POV vidcam for the 130 degree lens to go along with the 170 degree view I get with my Drift X170.
    titusti.com
    mtbtires.com
    Why I Ride Dropbars
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    I....snip....

The GoPro seems to be a well-liked unit, although it'd be clunky sitting on a helmet. Don't know anything about the Drift 170, except to say it looks interesting. You obviously won't be able to use the preview screen while it's attached to your helmet and you're recording.
    I have a GoPro and it IS CLUNKY sitting on a helmet. It does work just fine otherwise.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night I ordered a Contour Roam, can't believe how much wild life I'm seeing while riding.
    Turtles, snakes (one 5' rattler yesterday), deer, hawk, and more.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to decide whether the new features of the Contour Roam offset the extra $30-40 over the HD and the extra weight. I wonder how the battery life of the Roam's internal battery compares to the removable battery in the HD. Is the wider angle lens a plus or a minus. Has anyone used both?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My riding buddy got a Roam. I looked at it and decided it was a cost-reduced version of the HD. How's it have more features?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    My riding buddy got a Roam. I looked at it and decided it was a cost-reduced version of the HD. How's it have more features?
    Different at least.

contour.jpg

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you don't mention what phone you use. contour has an app that interfaces with the iPhone. uses the iphone as the LCD screen for it. remote control of contour via iPhone. very clever. saw it at the REI recently and was impressed. will wait a while before jumping into the big expensive camera's.

http://contour.com/software/mobile/overview

just peeked in their APPS link and now it runs on Android phones too. very clever.

do small video camera's allow you to rotate the lens? if the camera is not level on the helmet your video will be tilted unless you can adjust the image level to the horizon?
    Last edited by bikegeek57; 10-25-11 at 09:53 AM.
    Georgia state law stating that bicyclists “May Use Full Lane” when lane widths are not wide enough for motorists to safely pass cyclists and stay completely within the travel lane. (now all I have to do is convince GA drivers to read the law).

Cannondale Synapse 6.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    contour.jpg

more of the comparison

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    ..snip..
    ..snip..
    I haven't used any of these, but:
    All these cameras have a very wide angle lens, so the exact pointing direction isn't too critical. You probably don't need a preview screen. The ones with no screen are less likely to get damaged. And a preview screen will get washed out in direct sunlight.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right- Ordered the Drift X170--The Non HD version.

Looked at the contour and the Go-Pro. The contour is more expensive over here and Go-Pro is a Bit geeky looking to me--And very expensive. I did think about the Drift HD170 but the end result I need will not be high definition. It will only be posted on You-Tube or the forum so HD just is not necessary. I already have a respectable Sony Video Camera if I do need better definition.

But Paid £90 for the X170--- The HD170 starts at around £145-Go pros start at £180 and upwards and the contour HD at about £155.

So Look forward to scenes of the English countryside and the hills I ride(They will be at a slow speed though) and splats of Mud coming at the lens as it is just getting sensible for MTB rides over here.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    I recently got a ContourRoam, the combination of the laser sighting and the very wide angle lens makes it so a viewfinder is not really needed. I have mine mounted on my handlebar.

If you get the ContourGPS, or the other model, they have an app which lets you use your smartphone as a viewfinder - seemed like of fun, but I really didn't see the utility in this.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sauerwald View Post
    I recently got a ContourRoam, the combination of the laser sighting and the very wide angle lens makes it so a viewfinder is not really needed. I have mine mounted on my handlebar.

If you get the ContourGPS, or the other model, they have an app which lets you use your smartphone as a viewfinder - seemed like of fun, but I really didn't see the utility in this.
    That was my take as well. I decided to purchase the MicroSD card locally and I cannot find a supplier. Best Buy and Costco have them online but nothing in retail stores. I found Class 4s but not a Class 6 that Contour recommended.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein