Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Back on the upright bike a bit (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/777481-back-upright-bike-bit.html)

Tom Bombadil 10-24-11 03:46 PM

Back on the upright bike a bit
 
A couple of years ago, I had to stop riding my two "upright" / traditional bikes due to significant pain in my right thumb and left wrist. Whenever there was constant pressure on either one for more than about 5 minutes, it would flare up.

I was fine on my recumbent and my Electra commuter, where the upright riding position and swept back handlebars keep most of the pressure off.

About a month ago, I decided to take my Fuji Absolute 1.0, which is a fairly high level fitness hybrid, out for a spin. I hadn't notice much pain in my wrist for a while, so I wondered if I might be able to ride for a while. Didn't go far, about 8 miles, but I was fine.

Over the past month I've had it out 3 more times. Just on 15-20 mile rides. I take 2 ibuprofen before riding, as that helps keep down the swelling and pain in my thumb. The rides all went well. It was really fun to be back on this bike, as it is my lightest, fastest bike. And it has such a smooth ride. I do have extra cushy, ergonomic grips and bar ends on, which help.

I thought I might never ride it much again, but now I plan to keep it in my rotation.

Bunnicula 10-24-11 03:54 PM

Congrats! Those Ergon-type grips really help, imo. Gloves helped me as well. No more pain. :)

Tom Bombadil 10-24-11 03:58 PM

Yes, gloves do help a bit. I went through a couple dozen different types of gloves, to find the one that had the best padding over a particular spot at the base of my thumb. Most gloves have no padding at the spot where my pain originates.

BluesDawg 10-24-11 04:21 PM

Great to see you posting again, Tom Bomb! :)

Glad to hear that you are able to enjoy another part of your stable. I remember the long process you went through choosing just the right bike. Don't be a stranger.

DnvrFox 10-24-11 04:38 PM

I thought you had ridden your 'bent off into the Wisconsin sunset, such as it is. Great news about the DF - in the meantime I have bought a 'bent - just for fun - still ride the DF's.

I am very glad you are posting again.

gcottay 10-24-11 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 13408053)
Great to see you posting again, Tom Bomb! :)

.

+1

qcpmsame 10-24-11 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcottay (Post 13408148)
+1

+1 , n+1:innocent:
Good to have you post today Tom.

Bill

Nightshade 10-24-11 05:49 PM

See if you can find a pair (or more!) of these anti-vibe gloves from Carhartt.
http://www.constructiongear.com/carh...skin-a254.html
(Note: they 're discontinued but you might find some online or a local store. They make great cycling gloves!)

I have issues with damage to my ulnar nerve that isn't going away and these bad boys ,along with my upright posture and high handle bars, make it possible to ride with no pain or discomfort at all !!!

Good luck on your search.........

Louis 10-24-11 06:11 PM

Welcome back, T-Bomb.:beer:

JanMM 10-24-11 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 13407957)
Yes, gloves do help a bit. I went through a couple dozen different types of gloves, to find the one that had the best padding over a particular spot at the base of my thumb. Most gloves have no padding at the spot where my pain originates.

Yeah, I used to be on a Quest for the Perfect Gloves, when I was riding flatbar hybrids.
Any old gloves, or no gloves at all, are OK when you ride on the dark side.
Good to see you can go from Dark to Light and back again, as you wish.

Tom Bombadil 10-25-11 10:57 AM

Thanks for the welcome messages. I have been away for a while. May not be a regular again, but hope to check in now & then. This year has been a very hectic one.

My favorite ride is still my RANS Stratus, but it's difficult to transport with my compact cars. I don't use gloves with it at all and can ride for hours.

Good to see some of my old 50+ friends still posting.

Tom Bombadil 10-25-11 10:59 AM

Of course, if whatever was wrong with my wrist hadn't healed, the gloves wouldn't be the solution. I had tremendous pain in my left wrist anytime I applied pressure to it for a while. Had an MRI and they found nothing. Was told that it was a "roughage" in the joint.

Apparently it went away, or at least subsided.

Beverly 10-25-11 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 13408466)
Welcome back, T-Bomb.:beer:

+1

I checked and re-checked the posting date to be sure it wasn't an old post. Welcome back:)

Dudelsack 10-25-11 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 13408108)
I thought you had ridden your 'bent off into the Wisconsin sunset, such as it is. Great news about the DF - in the meantime I have bought a 'bent - just for fun - still ride the DF's.

I am very glad you are posting again.

Not to hijack a thread or anything, but I'm shopping for a 'bent as well. What kind of bike did you settle on? If you've already posted about it, I'll try to track it down rather than make you write everything twice.

DnvrFox 10-25-11 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 13411532)
Not to hijack a thread or anything, but I'm shopping for a 'bent as well. What kind of bike did you settle on? If you've already posted about it, I'll try to track it down rather than make you write everything twice.

Posted here and in the recumbent forum. A Sun Super Cruiser bought "just for fun and variety" at $350.00.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=sun+recumbent

stapfam 10-25-11 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 13411362)
+1

I checked and re-checked the posting date to be sure it wasn't an old post. Welcome back:)

Did the Same

You were missed Tom. Keep posting.

Tom Bombadil 10-25-11 01:41 PM

Denver, which Sun did you get? That thread says it was an EZ-1 Super Cruiser, but in this thread you are saying it is a Sun Easy Rider. Those are two different bents. One of my bents is the Sun EZ-Rider, which has a shock absorber in the frame, and uses somewhat high end components, like SRAM X.9 derailleurs and Avid BB disc brakes.

Dudelsack 10-25-11 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 13411725)
Posted here and in the recumbent forum. A Sun easy-rider bought "just for fun and variety" at $350.00.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=sun+recumbent

Thanks for the link. It is a veritable cornucopia of information which I desperately need. I have my eye on a Bachetta Giro ATT, which is the only 'bent I've ridden so far. I liked it. Wish it were not so pricey.

DnvrFox 10-25-11 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 13412015)
Denver, which Sun did you get? That thread says it was an EZ-1 Super Cruiser, but in this thread you are saying it is a Sun Easy Rider. Those are two different bents. One of my bents is the Sun EZ-Rider, which has a shock absorber in the frame, and uses somewhat high end components, like SRAM X.9 derailleurs and Avid BB disc brakes.

Oops!!

As you noticed, I am not an expert on bents. Super Cruiser - the plain jane model

CrankyFranky 10-25-11 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 13411152)
... Had an MRI and they found nothing. Was told that it was a "roughage" in the joint.

I've got similar issues, but with my left ankle/right knee. Doctors all shrug, say "you're getting older...". It comes in waves, for weeks at a time, then subsides, but never goes away. Eat "vitamin I", stay off pressure points and aggrivating motions, still not much relief. Odd thing is for me, even though these things hurt and hurt a little more when I use them, overall I still find it better to not avoid the motions. Oh well...
Keep on checking in, Tom! As a member of the AWOL brain club, we need all the help we can get.

Tom Bombadil 10-26-11 11:05 AM

This one?

http://www.jbimporters.com/web/links...Z1%2005.00.pdf


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:03 PM.