Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back on the upright bike a bit

A couple of years ago, I had to stop riding my two "upright" / traditional bikes due to significant pain in my right thumb and left wrist. Whenever there was constant pressure on either one for more than about 5 minutes, it would flare up.

I was fine on my recumbent and my Electra commuter, where the upright riding position and swept back handlebars keep most of the pressure off.

About a month ago, I decided to take my Fuji Absolute 1.0, which is a fairly high level fitness hybrid, out for a spin. I hadn't notice much pain in my wrist for a while, so I wondered if I might be able to ride for a while. Didn't go far, about 8 miles, but I was fine.

Over the past month I've had it out 3 more times. Just on 15-20 mile rides. I take 2 ibuprofen before riding, as that helps keep down the swelling and pain in my thumb. The rides all went well. It was really fun to be back on this bike, as it is my lightest, fastest bike. And it has such a smooth ride. I do have extra cushy, ergonomic grips and bar ends on, which help.

I thought I might never ride it much again, but now I plan to keep it in my rotation.
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 10-24-11 at 04:55 PM.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! Those Ergon-type grips really help, imo. Gloves helped me as well. No more pain.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, gloves do help a bit. I went through a couple dozen different types of gloves, to find the one that had the best padding over a particular spot at the base of my thumb. Most gloves have no padding at the spot where my pain originates.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to see you posting again, Tom Bomb!

Glad to hear that you are able to enjoy another part of your stable. I remember the long process you went through choosing just the right bike. Don't be a stranger.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought you had ridden your 'bent off into the Wisconsin sunset, such as it is. Great news about the DF - in the meantime I have bought a 'bent - just for fun - still ride the DF's.

I am very glad you are posting again.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Great to see you posting again, Tom Bomb!

+1
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
    +1
    +1 , n+1
    Good to have you post today Tom.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See if you can find a pair (or more!) of these anti-vibe gloves from Carhartt.
    http://www.constructiongear.com/carh...skin-a254.html
    (Note: they 're discontinued but you might find some online or a local store. They make great cycling gloves!)

I have issues with damage to my ulnar nerve that isn't going away and these bad boys ,along with my upright posture and high handle bars, make it possible to ride with no pain or discomfort at all !!!

Good luck on your search.........
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back, T-Bomb.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Yes, gloves do help a bit. I went through a couple dozen different types of gloves, to find the one that had the best padding over a particular spot at the base of my thumb. Most gloves have no padding at the spot where my pain originates.
    Yeah, I used to be on a Quest for the Perfect Gloves, when I was riding flatbar hybrids.
    Any old gloves, or no gloves at all, are OK when you ride on the dark side.
    Good to see you can go from Dark to Light and back again, as you wish.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the welcome messages. I have been away for a while. May not be a regular again, but hope to check in now & then. This year has been a very hectic one.

My favorite ride is still my RANS Stratus, but it's difficult to transport with my compact cars. I don't use gloves with it at all and can ride for hours.

Good to see some of my old 50+ friends still posting.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course, if whatever was wrong with my wrist hadn't healed, the gloves wouldn't be the solution. I had tremendous pain in my left wrist anytime I applied pressure to it for a while. Had an MRI and they found nothing. Was told that it was a "roughage" in the joint.

Apparently it went away, or at least subsided.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Welcome back, T-Bomb.
    +1

I checked and re-checked the posting date to be sure it wasn't an old post. Welcome back
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I thought you had ridden your 'bent off into the Wisconsin sunset, such as it is. Great news about the DF - in the meantime I have bought a 'bent - just for fun - still ride the DF's.

I am very glad you are posting again.
    Not to hijack a thread or anything, but I'm shopping for a 'bent as well. What kind of bike did you settle on? If you've already posted about it, I'll try to track it down rather than make you write everything twice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Not to hijack a thread or anything, but I'm shopping for a 'bent as well. What kind of bike did you settle on? If you've already posted about it, I'll try to track it down rather than make you write everything twice.
    Posted here and in the recumbent forum. A Sun Super Cruiser bought "just for fun and variety" at $350.00.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=sun+recumbent
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-25-11 at 06:05 PM.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    +1

I checked and re-checked the posting date to be sure it wasn't an old post. Welcome back
    Did the Same

You were missed Tom. Keep posting.
    Last edited by stapfam; 10-25-11 at 01:52 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver, which Sun did you get? That thread says it was an EZ-1 Super Cruiser, but in this thread you are saying it is a Sun Easy Rider. Those are two different bents. One of my bents is the Sun EZ-Rider, which has a shock absorber in the frame, and uses somewhat high end components, like SRAM X.9 derailleurs and Avid BB disc brakes.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Posted here and in the recumbent forum. A Sun easy-rider bought "just for fun and variety" at $350.00.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=sun+recumbent
    Thanks for the link. It is a veritable cornucopia of information which I desperately need. I have my eye on a Bachetta Giro ATT, which is the only 'bent I've ridden so far. I liked it. Wish it were not so pricey.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver, which Sun did you get? That thread says it was an EZ-1 Super Cruiser, but in this thread you are saying it is a Sun Easy Rider. Those are two different bents. One of my bents is the Sun EZ-Rider, which has a shock absorber in the frame, and uses somewhat high end components, like SRAM X.9 derailleurs and Avid BB disc brakes.
    Oops!!

As you noticed, I am not an expert on bents. Super Cruiser - the plain jane model

My Bikes
    Enough bikes...for today!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... Had an MRI and they found nothing. Was told that it was a "roughage" in the joint.
    I've got similar issues, but with my left ankle/right knee. Doctors all shrug, say "you're getting older...". It comes in waves, for weeks at a time, then subsides, but never goes away. Eat "vitamin I", stay off pressure points and aggrivating motions, still not much relief. Odd thing is for me, even though these things hurt and hurt a little more when I use them, overall I still find it better to not avoid the motions. Oh well...
    Keep on checking in, Tom! As a member of the AWOL brain club, we need all the help we can get.
    '69 Raleigh Sports, '72 Atala Record Pro, '82 Stan Pike (made for me!), '08? Serotta Legend Ti

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)