Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    1961 Follis Road Bike, 1992 Specialized Allez, 2008 Specialized Roubix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Graphic Image - Pict of Aftermath of My Non-Bike Fall - Squeamish? Don't Look!

I didn't see any pics on DnvrFox's excellent post about falling when not on a bike, so I thought I'd contribute a separate post with a photo of my bruise.

A little over a week ago, while conducting a night photography session at the base of Yosemite Falls, I managed to fall, tripping over a five-foot long, six-inch high, sharp-edged rock. Frankly, the rock was more like a small boulder and I went down like the proverbial tree in the forest.

The bruise itself didn't begin to appear for at least two days. I'm surprised it took that long, because I'm on aspirin and an anti-coagulant. However, the medication explains, I'm sure, the severity of the bruise, which kept growing, little islands of bruises, converging to form a Pangea-like continent of purple.

There wasn't time to react. When I hit, I landed on my knees and my right arm, including my wrist and elbow. It hurt so mightily that, upon standing up, I stretched out on the ground again, because I felt like I was going to vomit.

When the pain in my extremities subsided, I realized I had the mother of all charley horses. I couldn't stand for a few minutes, much less walk. After a while I was able to hobble back to my room.

Much of the pain in my thigh is gone. However, I must have squished a nerve, because I still have strange pains, especially in bed when I simply move my leg - a slow-moving pain works its way from my knee to my hip and lasts for several seconds. It's made sleeping difficult. My right knee is tender to the touch. I can walk, I can ride my bike (I think inertia from the pedals helps with the latter), and while it hurts a little, I can bear it. In fact, I rode 20 miles around Yosemite Valley and up the incline to the famed Tunnel View four days later.

This photo is a couple days old. While there's some obvious healing now - a lot of it has started to fade - the bruise has also continued to grow, spreading down over my knee and the down part of my shin, and it's all over the top of my thigh, too. I guess it's added to my cyclists' tan.

At 63, I think I might be lucky I didn't break anything. Definitely it sent another whiff of mortality coursing through me. I was tremendously relieved when I realized I hadn't broken anything - at least nothing apparent - yet I'm dismayed at the strange, lingering pains. Then again, maybe I should be glad that's all I have, and glad that I can feel something at all.

I hope an old dog can learn new tricks. If I have to walk as much as a step away from my camera and tripod, I'll make sure I keep my headlamp on next time I make some night photographs.

Thanks, DnvrFox, for letting me show off my bruise!
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Icyclist, the blog considered too areodite for bikeforums

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoulda bunny hopped it.

Glad you are recovering.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As my mother used to say, 'Pick up your feet' and 'Watch where you're going'.

The best injuries are the ones we avoid.
    Who is John Galt?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icyclist View Post
    Thanks, DnvrFox, for letting me show off my bruise!
    You are very welcome, but I really didn't want to be the cause of someone getting terrible bruises and pain to share a photo. You went beyond the call of duty

BTW, I would have those strange nerve sensations checked out. Lots of possibilities, most of them not very good.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad it wasn't any worse. That looks pretty painful in the pics, hope you don't have any latent surprises such as a hair-line fracture. Please let us know how your recovery goes.

Bill

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    You are very welcome, but I really didn't want to be the cause of someone getting terrible bruises and pain to share a photo. You went beyond the call of duty

BTW, I would have those strange nerve sensations checked out. Lots of possibilities, most of them not very good.
    I'm going to see my my dr. tomorrow!
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Banned
    My Bikes
    2011 Giant Defy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better you than me Hope it looks worse than it feels.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope nothing got damaged below the surface and it's a good thing that you are going to see your doctor for it. I know that this is suppose to be for non bike related falls, but looking at the photo, it reminds me of my left hip when I first went clipless. Ouch!
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP:
    I know that look. Have 1/2 dozen on my arm, hip and left buttock. Decided not tiopublish mine. May post my pretty side later.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP: Re-reading your post

A lot of your symptoms sound similar. They said in the hospital to be concerned if the pain and tingling got down around the toes and the front of the foot.

I felt no nausea at any time. Nor loss of consciousness,
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sculptor7 - I hope you're OK, at least I hope you're better now - I assume you're out of the hospital.

I did see a dr., nothing broken as far as he could tell. The bruise is shrinking, and I continue to feel better. Although I still have some significant pain and tenderness, it doesn't hurt to ride my bike.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The good news is that it doesn't hurt to ride your bike.

The bad news (apart from all the pretty colors) is the pain and tenderness. Hopefully time will heal all!

Rick / OCRR

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I hope an old dog can learn new tricks. If I have to walk as much as a step away from my camera and tripod, I'll make sure I keep my headlamp on next time I make some night photographs."

Yep, old dogs can learn new tricks......when there is pain involved.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Squeamish? It's a bruise. I hope people that could possibly be squeamish over that don't watch any of the CSI, Bones, or any of those shows!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)