rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the mother hill-pics

Having some time on my hands yesterday, (the joy of retirement) I decided that a ride was in order. The mother hill, and in the spring I add a couple of syllables to that description, I realized had not been ridden this year and so off I went.

This is the view from a couple of hundred yards back and, as can be seen, it continues downhill until just beyond the bridge.

This picture was taken just beyond where it starts up and the highpoint that you see is actually only about a third of the way up.What makes it the mother hill is the fact that depending on whom you believe, the part at which you are looking is either a 17%grade(skipper's gps) or a 22% grade according to the county. At the visible crest it mellows a bit and ends up averaging about 12% or 175bpm. This time of the year with miles under my legs I only used my 36-34 gear thus "the mother hill". In the spring without good legs, I use the 26-34 gear and it is the mother! hill.

I know that there are a lot harder hills out there but this is mine. The upside is that I feel quite manly when I'm at the top and yesterday I hit 46mph going down. Gotta love that speed! Apropros of nothing below is a picture of my cat "Goliath"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a brutal climb! How long is it?

Our local brutal climb goes from a village (Mt. Baldy Village) to the Ski Lift parking lot. It gains 2,000 feet of elevation in 4.6 miles. The steepest bits are the hairpin turns (doesn't look like your climb has any . . . or maybe they're just not in the photo) at 20%. There are extended sections of 12% and a nice 18% kicker for about 1/4 of a mile near the top. It takes me about and hour to climb, plus or minus a few minutes depending on my condition and the weather.

On the Tour of California, it was rated "HC" or beyond category for the Pros. Taylor Phinney said it was the toughest climb he's ever done (and he looked pretty wiped out at the finish). Andy Schleck didn't have any problem with it, but he still couldn't catch Levi and Chris Horner.

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lately, most hills I encounter are real mothers.

I don't think I'll be coming up to conquer that one any time soon.

Nice kitty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty!!

Oh, and that is one humburger of a hill!! Is that a new word - humburger??

Congrats on making it. I couldn't.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rck View Post

Pretty good design with the 'brake failure turn off track' at the bottom of the picture.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

rck
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Sounds like a brutal climb! How long is it?

Rick / OCRR
    Rick-Its not a terribly long hill, no more than .4 miles. It is somewhat emblamatic of the hills here. They have a tendency to be short but steep! Usually, however, they are more in the 10% range.

CB HI-that would be a tricky stop indeed! The fastest I've hit on that hill has been a touch over 55mph. You can't see all that well because your eyes are watering and from the top you can't see the bottom making it a bit of an adventure. I had a friend on a full fairing recumbent hit 67mph(on his 67th b-day) albeit it took him two tries, the first time he only hit 63mph. Whats the old line-"old enough to know better,too young to care"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Soma Stanyan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos riding in NorCal the climbs are a lot different. Like my old friend Eddie the biker used to say (he still says it) "nothing gets you in shape faster than going up hills".
    To me the life is a glass half full, I love optimism, life's better that way.
    Riding the streets of San Francisco, the roads of West Marin and Northern California...

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty!!

Oh, and that is one humburger of a hill!! Is that a new word - humburger??

Congrats on making it. I couldn't.
    Denver, this reminds me of that one steep hill that we rode on the Santa Fe Century, MAN, was that a mother hill!
    Last edited by Shifty; 10-29-11 at 01:58 PM.
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    Denver, this reminds me of that one steep hill that we rode on the Santa Fe Century, MAN, was that a mother hill!
    "Heartbreak Hill" - I believe - and you may have ridden it. I didn't. Here I am at the top. I walked the last steps with a local who was highly pissed because he had made it during practce the previous week, but not TODAY!!

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the view from a couple of hundred yards back and, as can be seen, it continues downhill until just beyond the bridge.

Oh, my God!!
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    "Heartbreak Hill" - I believe - and you may have ridden it. I didn't. Here I am at the top. I walked the last steps with a local who was highly pissed because he had made it during practce the previous week, but not TODAY!!

Yep, I rode it all the way, and at nearly 7000 ft, I was out of air near the top. I started the climb with April and Steve, April made it pretty far, can't remember what happened with Steve. Nick aced it too. It really hurt...ouch!
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some big climbs,I was riding in whats called the sweet corn challenge,and i was huffing and puffin up a steep climb and this guy next to me said Heck you got a triple. I said yup but today i need a quadruple.His wife cracked up he just looked like he sucked a lemon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is quite a hill. Maybe I can get a picture of one next week. It is on MO 121 by Wallace State Park in the state of Misery. There are harder hills in the Ozarks but this is the closest hill that makes me want to walk. But my bone head attitude won't let me walk. My riding buddy used it for training before a Leavenworth KS ride last year. Three trips up one after the other on two knee replacements. He was 73 last year, just as hard core as ever. That makes me keep my mouth shut about how much I'm hurting.
    " If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I lived near UCLA I did one or more major hill climbs almost every week. I miss having something like Roscomare Rd., Franklin Canyon, Tuna Canyon, Benedict Canyon, etc. within minutes of home. Coming out of downtown, Encinitas does have a few one-block-long climbs in the 10 to 16% range.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    When I lived near UCLA I did one or more major hill climbs almost every week. I miss having something like Roscomare Rd., Franklin Canyon, Tuna Canyon, Benedict Canyon, etc. within minutes of home. Coming out of downtown, Encinitas does have a few one-block-long climbs in the 10 to 16% range.
    old Torrey Pines Grade? Or is that too easy for you/

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That hill does not really look all that scary.... but the one thing I have learned is that they are very, very difficult to judge visually.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomrider1 View Post
    Those are some big climbs,I was riding in whats called the sweet corn challenge,and i was huffing and puffin up a steep climb and this guy next to me said Heck you got a triple. I said yup but today i need a quadruple.His wife cracked up he just looked like he sucked a lemon.
    Did a hill yesterday- or several- but halfway up one the bike would not change into granny. Bit of swearing and persevere up. Finally tried again- looked at the Chainset and I was already in it. Comes to it when you need a gear lower than granny.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

rck
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Billydonn, That is the problem with 2 dimensionsal views. I have to admit, however, that the pic Shifty posted looks pretty scary to me!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Mountaineering thing Hillbasher's Avatar
    My Bikes
    4 Road 2 Mtn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Billydonn, That is the problem with 2 dimensionsal views. I have to admit, however, that the pic Shifty posted looks pretty scary to me!
    Looks more like a really good challenge to me than something scary. Love hills, would rather do them than flats anytime. Living at the base of the mountains in Southern California, I better like them, or all my rides would have to be boring flat ones.

My Bikes
    98 built up Zurich Burley Duet and a few others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your picture looked like some of the hills I ride and then I noticed we both live in the driftless area of Wisconsin. I've seen some pretty strong looking young guys on state of the art bikes very humbled on our hills. We live in a great area for cycling . Our short season is the only drawback . Frisky

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stapfam; Quote.
    Did a hill yesterday- or several- but halfway up one the bike would not change into granny. Bit of swearing and persevere up. Finally tried again- looked at the Chainset and I was already in it. Comes to it when you need a gear lower than granny.

Been there and done that on many occasions. It seem to happen more and more often for some reason.-0)
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine about 50 miles of that and you have the Garrett County(Maryland) Grand Fondo. I dropped out at 32 miles! But I did the Seagull Century with relative ease.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)