Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Ride in 30 Years

First Post - Long time Lurker -

I'm not inactive but I have not been on a bike in over 30 years (I'm 52). I decided to get in a little better shape and purchased a Trek 8.5 DS last weekend. I also purchased a trainer for the winter months. We had an unexpected 50 degree (F) day today and I decided to hit the bike path. I went 22 miles out and 22 miles back for a total of 44 miles! I'm pretty happy with my performance. The last 3 or 4 miles were pretty tough and I'm a little sore, but all in all a good day.

A quick question....

My breathing, comfort on the seat and riding position were fine. My legs simply gave out around 40 miles. I did not eat anything during the ride but I did drink plenty of water. Is this normal for a first time rider? Does this go away with training? Thanks.

Last edited by Rktman; 10-30-11 at 07:00 PM.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    44 miles - first ride?? Congratulations, WOW and, yes, that would be normal to have your legs give out. Cycling takes different muscles. They are going to have to be conditioned. You are expecting a lot from your body. Now, let it rest and recover a couple of days. And, you need nutrition on a 44 mile ride. What are you, some kind of super-athlete?
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-30-11 at 07:26 PM.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Lynskey Helix, Wilier Izorad XP, Specialized M2 and a Trek 8500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took you two years to pick out that bike?
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...o-50-What-Bike

How long did the ride take you? I would say that's a darn fine first ride after 20 or 30 years...especially on a mountain bike...

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, giving out after forty miles is not at all normal. Most would have made a much shorter ride.

Have you yet planned a winter cycling vacation?
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rktman View Post

My breathing, comfort on the seat and riding position were fine. My legs simply gave out around 40 miles. I did not eat anything during the ride but I did drink plenty of water. Is this normal for a first time rider? Does this go away with training? Thanks.
    No, this is not normal for a first time rider. The normal ride for most first time riders is more like one half to one fourth, maybe even one eighth of what you rode.

Well done.

At 40 miles, you might want to think about a mid-ride snack and perhaps some sports drink. During the warmer months, fuel and fluids get more critical.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rktman View Post
    I'm not inactive but I have not been on a bike in over 30 years ...

A quick question....

I did not eat anything during the ride but I did drink plenty of water.
    30 years?? What took you so long?

Rules for cycling:
    1. Drink before you're thirsty.
    2. Eat before you're hungry.
    3. Rest before you're tired.

Eat something every 15-20 miles. Not a meal. Something like a Hammer gel or energy bar.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast after the car-bike accident. R.I.P.
    * * 2014 or 2015 CAAD 10 3 coming soon. Decision time. * *

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with others. Most first-time riders would think 10 miles to be a very significant ride. I'm a lifelong rider, and I think 44 miles is a long ride. My usual training ride is 20-30, and 40 is a longer ride. You'll be riding a century before you know it!

My legs almost never give out. Instead, my arms and shoulders start to hurt, along with my butt. I get "core fatigue" - my heart and lungs start telling me to get off the bike. However, I went on a 30 mile ride with my 23-year-old son a couple of weeks ago. It was his first ride in months. He was really a slug on the last 8 miles. He said his legs were really tired.

It takes all kinds, I guess.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outstanding first ride you've done. Welcome to BF and the 50+ group.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brew1 View Post
    Took you two years to pick out that bike?
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...o-50-What-Bike

How long did the ride take you? I would say that's a darn fine first ride after 20 or 30 years...especially on a mountain bike...
    I laughed when I saw the thread you referenced. I guess it shows us that whatever you put on the web can come back forever! I forgot about the post completely. Yes, it took me two years to make a decision. I just never got around to pulling the trigger.

My computer told me that my average speed was 12 MPH with a MAX of 21 MPH (I'm sure the MAX was downhill). I was out for a little over 4 hours with a few breaks along the way. On the way out I had a 200 ft. increase in elevation. The journey felt pretty flat both ways.

My legs giving out really bothered me as I thought I was in pretty good shape. I did a little more research last night and I think I need to begin incorporating some endurance training into my workouts. I use an Elliptical and also a treadmill 4 times a week and lift weights 3-4 times a week. I think the fact that I am not using any sort of interval training has led to my body performing well for the 30-40 minutes I'm on the Elliptical but the 44 mile showed me that I have reached a plateau . I need to shake things up a bit.

Thanks for your response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd say you over-did it by about 20-30 miles for a first ride

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    '11 Cannondale Synapsese 5 105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back to two wheels and welcome to the forums. I would have to say that 44 miles is not a normal first ride. My first ride back after about 15 years was only about 10 miles and I thought I was going to die. Your legs giving out after that distance is expected. I am not sure whether eating would have prevented that after such a long layoff, but the advice you were given earlier regarding eating was spot on.

We are at about 60F up here today.....andI am stuck indoors at work. We do not get to many November days like this up here and I am bummed that I am missing one.

Cheers,

Brian J.
    “A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence. ”

― Bruce Lee

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said, that's a good effort after a long lay-off. For the future, if you're going to be out for less than two hours, don't bother taking food. If more than two hours, I'd eat something - banana, flapjack, something like that - after one hour and each half-hour thereafter. Drinking is more important, you need to stay hydrated.

You're obviously in pretty good shape, you'll find that your stamina on the bike increases rapidly. If you want to make the fastest possible progress I'd suggest riding for an hour at a time at the fastest speed you can maintain for the whole hour. It builds endurance.

Enjoy it, there's nothing better.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

My Bikes
    4.7 Madone, Cannondale Black Lightning, Nishiki International
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoy! Your legs giving out is absolutely normal when you push it longer and harder than you are used to, even when in shape. For that kind of mileage, however, you should consider a road bike (save that one for the trails). MUCH more enjoyable for longer rides. I am 52 and started riding again 4 years ago (first time riding regularly in 25 years). Can't go without it now. I also just bought a trainer for the winter months and have been on it several mornings a week. I have my 1983 Nishiki hooked up to it. Looking for good weather this weekend to get outside!
    “with the breakdown of the medieval system, the gods of chaos, lunacy, and bad taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius J. Reilly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey - Thanks everyone for the responses. Having a few days to think about things, I'm going to build up to the longer rides. I'm starting the trainer activity in the basement as well. I'm setting a goal of riding the GAP from Pittsburg to DC next year.... a little lofty at the moment but something I want to really try. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rktman- your first ride back on the bike beats my first month back n the bike some years ago. Good luck with the training, and your ride goal!