Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Driving lights

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-11, 08:39 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by xizangstan
I would think a light with a battery pack that goes into a bottle cage would be handier than one that straps to the frame. Is it because you want to keep your bottle cages open for water bottles, or is there another reason you like the strap-on batteries?
It's a matter of personal preference. Do you prefer chocolate or vanilla?

I prefer to keep my bottles in my bottle cages, but since the lights I chose come in only strap-on, it's really not an issue.

BTW, mine are strapped to the stem to avoid paint wear on the frame.

On that particular light, I have no experience with it so I can't comment specifically. It's also a brand new model. I haven't seen any reports from other buyers yet.

I can give a couple of thoughts. First, in general, lights made up of multiple LEDs are not as bright as a single LED of the same rating. Think of four 25-watt light bulbs vs. one 100-watt light bulb.

Second, the reflector seems configured for a broader pattern as opposed to longer "throw". Think car low-beam as opposed to aircraft landing light. It's probably just the ticket for off-road where a broad spread is favored. It wouldn't be a good choice for my eyes (remembering my night blindness) on city streets. I need the longer "throw" to match my higher speed and sometimes limited choices for dodging obstacles.

Again, chocolate vs. vanilla.

Last edited by tsl; 11-02-11 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-02-11, 09:26 AM

Bikes: Trek 800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see these hand-held spotlights advertised, something like 1,000,000 candlepower. I'm going to cooking school and leave while it is still dark. Too bad they don't make a way to hold one of those little beauties on to the handlebars. In fact, I have thought about one of those aimed backwards in my car for the jokers that follow six inches off the back bumper with bright lights on.
Old 11-02-11, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
First off the tail light is much more important that the head light, while you can (depending upon circumstances) get away with a weaker headlight, you need the brightest tail light you can buy to give the motorist passing you in your lane time to react. Dinotte makes the best IMO.

Head lights fall into two categories 1.) seeing and 2.) being seen. Being seen lights can be less bright than seeing lights.

To figure your needs for a seeing headlight, you need to factor in your speed (if not you could end up with a light that can't keep up with you), other ambiant lighting (riding in the city requires less light than unlit country roads), and personal taste. When you shop for those lights factor in the batteries (taking them in and out of a battery holder will wear out the battery holder), the charger (smart chargers don't over charge batteries), connectors (I have had problems with Night rider connectors coming apart when I least wanted it), the way the lights connect to the bike (if you fall will it break or just twist) as well as the beam pattern of the light (had one set with a black spot right in the middle of the light).

Keep in mind that you want to not only see the line you will be riding in but also the line to the right and the left so you can decide which way to go around an obstacle. Weight is a concern that not all riders share but if you are trying to keep everything as light as possible, you need to think about how much that battery weighs against the amount of time you will be riding. Water proofness is probably more important to commuters, but its something to consider. I use the Lupine Wilma headlight, after discarding five (cheaper) previous systems over that past fifteen years, the Wilma and I are very happy.
Old 11-02-11, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Some of you are mentioning MagicShine, from a place called GeoMan. Okay, I looked them up:
https://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...u8gfj1g5h7ka81

So what's the feedback on this?
I have the MagicShine 900 lumen light. I got it from GeoMan. No problems. I'm starting my third season with it. Mine has the original battery, but it still works and has not overheated or caught fire.
Old 11-02-11, 01:52 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
When the MagicShine came out- several members here were raving about them. It was so cheap I reserved judgement. Battery problems and recall and although that problem may be solved- I thinK I prefer a Known lamp from a Known manufacturer. 6 years later and my quality lamp has never let me down and still works as good as the day I bought it.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-02-11, 09:33 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Another two votes for Magic Shine. My rides often take me out into the wilderness and believe me its dark out there. I have one on my helmet and one on the bar. Its like taking your own street light with you. When I turn my head I can see great. I went through the battery recall but thats not a sigh of an inferior product. Remember Toyotas recall. Sometimes stuff happens, and at least they took care of it.
I give Magic Shine 5 stars.
Old 11-02-11, 09:43 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Battery problems and recall and although that problem may be solved- I thinK I prefer a Known lamp from a Known manufacturer. 6 years later and my quality lamp has never let me down and still works as good as the day I bought it.
36 (or is it 37?) later and my generator has never let me down, never needed recharging, and still works as good as the day I bought it.
Old 11-03-11, 08:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just tested a new light, Cygolite 400 usb, flashing before sunset, then on high for ride home.
Plenty of light, plus mounting options.

https://www.amazon.com/CygoLite-Expil...0373263&sr=8-1

Got this tail light, works great.
https://www.amazon.com/Portland-Desig...bxgy_sg_text_b
Old 11-03-11, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OKIE_55
I just tested a new light, Cygolite 400 usb, flashing before sunset, then on high for ride home.
Plenty of light, plus mounting options.

https://www.amazon.com/CygoLite-Expil...0373263&sr=8-1
Given my experience with the Expilion 250, I'm thinking that the 400 would be a super light.
Old 11-04-11, 06:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j
Given my experience with the Expilion 250, I'm thinking that the 400 would be a super light.
With only one ride using the cygolite 400, I can tell you drivers see me much sooner in daylight on the flash mode.
I was impressed by the amount of light it throws out on a dark road, plenty of light for me, but I'm not riding 30mph either.
Old 11-04-11, 08:03 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wouldn't they be "riding" lights? I mean you don't drive a bike, right? Sorry another pet peeve of mine, especially in the motorcycle arena. Can't stand when someone says something about "driving" a motorcycle. You RIDE a motorcycle.
Old 11-04-11, 01:46 PM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf
Wouldn't they be "riding" lights? I mean you don't drive a bike, right? Sorry another pet peeve of mine, especially in the motorcycle arena. Can't stand when someone says something about "driving" a motorcycle. You RIDE a motorcycle.
A tad off topic, but to me the term, "ride" implies passive behavior. "Driving" something means, to me, being active. I can ride in a car or drive it. I can ride in a boat or drive it. So, yes, being ON a bike rather than INSIDE it, might seem like you're riding it. But I'm too active on my bike to just be a rider.

- Just saying...

By the way: I have an endorsement on my DRIVER'S license for operating a motorcycle. The DRIVER'S license doesn't say a word about riding a motorcycle.

Old 11-04-11, 02:02 PM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
The best place to look for comparisons and tech information is Peter White cycles. You can learn more from his website than anyplace I have seen. Personally I still like tire driven dynamos with a good LED. I don't ride in the dark daily, so I like the fact that they are cheaper and lighter than dyno hubs and also don't create any resistance unless they are being used. What I have is here.

Marc

Last edited by irwin7638; 11-04-11 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-04-11, 02:12 PM

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am surprised that so few people are reporting the use of dynamo hub powered lights. Are there some general issues with these that make less less than useful?
Old 11-04-11, 02:30 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikepwagner
I am surprised that so few people are reporting the use of dynamo hub powered lights. Are there some general issues with these that make less less than useful?
Probably the biggest issue is cost, with the secondary issue be lack of flexibility. One battery powered light can be used on multiple bikes, which is much harder, if not impossible with the generator versions.
Old 11-04-11, 02:30 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

You can't just use any old wheel. You have to build up a wheel with a dyno hub.

Last edited by jimmuller; 11-04-11 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Proofread to make sure you haven't a word out.
Old 11-04-11, 07:30 PM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
My guess would be availability. Every bike shop (and REI) in the country has neato-bandito battery-powered light displays. Plunk down the card and walk off with one. If you learn enough that you want a dynamo, then you have to figure out where to get it, and the light, and how to build the hub into a wheel... Plunking down the plastic is so much easier.

Another possibility is that some of us old farts remember the bottle generators from the 19X0s. Hooked up to a flashlight bulb, you could almost see the ground. That was before halogen bulbs, much less high-powered LEDs. (Probably LEDs, period!) Which is brighter, the flashlight bulb you remember from 50 years ago, or that searchlight of a triple LED in that display case right there?!
Old 11-04-11, 08:20 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by irwin7638
Personally I still like tire driven dynamos with a good LED.
Me too! Pick me! Pick me!

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Another possibility is that some of us old farts remember the bottle generators from the 19X0s. Hooked up to a flashlight bulb, you could almost see the ground.
True enough. But those bottle generators provide plenty of juice for today's LED lights! My Union (I think it is) is over 35 years old and powers a B&M Lumotec IQ CYO (meant for a dyno-hub) and a B&M Topline taillight with ease. The Soubitez generator which came with our '82 Peugeot tandem also handles them easily. I think the Soubitez is lighter and smoother, and on the tandem we never notice any difference whether it is engaged or not, except that the lights come on!

The generators weren't the problem back then, the lights were.
Old 11-04-11, 08:36 PM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just another vote for MagicShine - I have one of the 900 lumen models, and another on order. I have found one on high is great for seeing, but I like having more lumens on my helmet. Today I run a cateye on "blink" on my noggin, but will put the new MS on when it comes in. My plan is to run it and the handlebar light on Medium intensity in the dark, and both on flash mode in the daylight. I am totally convinced that the MS on flash mode has made my ride safer in the daytime.

I am new to dark commuting - but I think I like it better than twilight commuting. I have four lights (3 blinking, one steady) on the back, all red, and two headlights, and reflectors. Blinking to be seen, steady (in the case of headlights) to see.

Now just to see how much guts I got for commuting in the cold and wet...
Old 11-04-11, 09:34 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
...Some of you are mentioning MagicShine, from a place called GeoMan. Okay, I looked them up...So what's the feedback on this?
I'm echoing what TSL said, and will add that the people I dealt with at Geoman were unusually customer orientated - I have the MS 900 lumen light, and an MS taillight (comes with a Y-cord, so you only need one battery. Couldn't be more pleased. I only commute 5 miles each way, but it is through a construction zone, so lots of rough riding - so far no problems. I'm also considering buying another from Geoman. I imagine I could get my wife to ride at night with me, these lights are so adequate. If I can't, I might just pop a second system on my ride. The new Geoman battery pack has a truly awesome fixing strap - you can stick it anywhere and as long as you pull the velcro tight, it'll stay.
Old 11-05-11, 08:56 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I also have a dynamo hub on my primary commuter. There are three downsides to dynamos. They have always been so, and remain.

First is cost. My hub was $140, then I had to have a wheel built around it. Rim was $80, 32 spokes at $1.50 each, plus labor. Then you have to buy the lights.

Second is portability. It's easy to move battery lights from one bike to the other. While you can easily move a wheel from one bike to another, there's still the matter of lights and wiring.

Third is light output. Yes, the new LEDs put out tons more light than the old halogen systems. But they're still limited by the 3-watt output of the hub. People with younger and better eyes than mine, or those who ride slower than I do, can probably see pretty well with just the dynamo headlight. I can't.

While I was very impressed with the output of my Schmidt Edelux as compared to a buddy's halogen system, it's still weak and wimpy as compared to a MagicShine. My guess it's that it's 230 to 250 lumens--tops. In other words, a smidge brighter than my DiNotte 200Ls. And that's the light that with one exception (see below) is acknowledged as the brightest dynamo headlight on the market.

This year I faced the choice of trying the SuperNova E3 Triple--an unregulated dynamo light with three LEDs, allegedly two or three times brighter than my Edelux--or buy more MagicShines. I bought more MagicShines.

For less than the cost of the E3 Triple alone, I bought two more MagicShines. If I'd purchased the E3 Triple, it's incompatible with my B&M taillight. I would have had to buy SuperNova's taillight too, and replace all the wiring. I'd have also lost the reflectors that are part of the B&M taillight.

The other thing is that even with the Edelux and a pair of DiNotte 200Ls on my bars, I was still dismissed as "just some guy on a bike" by motorists and pedestrians alike. With just a single MagicShine, I'm respected and treated as traffic by cars and peds. That's worth it all to me right there.
Old 11-05-11, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
I can be both sloppy and clumsy and have destroyed several batterypack and lighthead setups. I will ride quite a few miles both commuting and training after work in our very long Norwegian winter so I decided to buy some new lights this autumn. The one light that I have not managed to destroy is a Silva LX, not really meant for bicycling but it has served me well both CX skiing and cycling. However I need more light as the years go on and now I bought an Exposure Lights cordless setup with a Diablo on my helmet and a Maxx-D on the bars. No cables for me to wreck and the build quality seems very good. Lots of light !