Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera - Just Bought an Inexpensive (cheap) digicam just for bicycling pics

I'm not one for expensive toys. I have wanted an optical zoom camera for bicycling, but they all seemed pretty expensive for my tastes. While my cell phone takes decent pics, it has only a digital zoom - not what I really wanted.

So, I saw this at Amazon today for real cheap - 50% off because, I guess, it is red - anyway the silver and black are about twice as much. Now, red doesn't bother me a bit, as it is easier to find. 8x optical zoom. Pretty good reviews.

And, if I lose it or break it - well, $75 won't kill me!!

So,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003B45FU2

" Red
    If you want it all, you want a power series camera from GE. A slim metal housing, lithium battery, and glass lens, coupled with the latest in high-tech features, make the power series the one you'll reach for every time. The E1480W has a spacious 3.0-inch high-resolution LCD screen with auto adjust brightness so you won't miss a thing. Featuring a generous 14.1-megapixel resolution, 8x optical zoom and 6x digital zoom. The E1480W also provides panorama photo stitching allowing you to take 3 images and create a seamless panoramic picture, face detection, automatic face exposure, in-camera red-eye removal, optical image stabilization, blink detection, smile detection, hdtv output with HDMI, and Quick Time Motion JPEG movie recording. Plus the impressive 18MB internal memory is expandable with an SD/SDHC card up to 16 GB. Additional specs include Focal length of 5.1mm (wide) to 40.8mm (Tele) which is the 35mm film equivalent of 28mm (wide) to 224mm (Tele), F number of F3.3 (Wide) to F5.8(Tele), Normal focusing range of 60 cm (Wide) to 100 cm (Tele), Macro of 5cm-100cm Wide and 100cm Tele. Shooting modes of Auto, Manual, ASCN, Image Stabilization, Movie, Scene (Sport, Children, Indoor, Leaf, Snow, Sunset, Fireworks, Glass, Museum, Landscape, Night Landscape, Night Portrait), Portrait, and Panorama, Auto ISO sensitivity of 3200. Pictbridge compatability,ExifPrint support, multi-language support, USB 2.0, HDMI out and AV out (proprietary connector) jacks. This products ships with rechargeable lithium-ion battery, battery charger, USB Cable, Wrist Strap, CD-ROM, Manual, Quick Start Guide, Feature Guide, Warranty Card. "
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-31-11 at 03:12 PM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems this Forum is going to get interesting. I have just bought a Headcam for about double the price you paid and for a respectable headcam that was cheap.

I used to take Videos on my camera but the quality was never that good and it used up battery life very quickly. A Dedicated Digicam is going to take better videos and be economic on Battery life (Hopefully).

I had a problem mounting my camera to the bike and managed to utilise an old Lamp bracket. Problem I had was getting a long enough screw with the right thread to mount the camera and finished up buying a cheap tripod at a Boot fair-paid about $4 for it--and used the head off the tripod to mount to the lamp bracket.

So we can expect to see some action shots of your offroading shortly. That should be fun.

Edit--The onboard Memory is not going to be big enough so look for an online supplier for the SD memory card. My head cam has 32mb on it and that is only good enough for 6 minutes. A 16gb sd card can give up to 16 hours.
    Last edited by stapfam; 10-31-11 at 03:20 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a Nikkon CoolPix L10 for 3 years. It ran me a bit over $100 when I bought it. It is nice for carrying in a camelbak for cycling pics.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $75 is not cheap!! To me, cheap would be < $30.
    I'm always looking for a *small* camera that will take good quality pics - at least 5 MP.

Now where are the pics from your last ride?
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking for a camera that I could fit in my jersey so I wouldn't have to take my expensive camera strapped around my neck on rides. I found a Polaroid camera at Target for $39.00 and bought it. It's only 3 MP but takes really good pictures for it's price. My only issue with it is that it goes through batteries very quickly, especially if you leave them in the camera when it's not in use. However, after I bought it, I found a nicer 7 MP camera at Wal-Mart for the same price. Next time I'm at Wal-Mart, I'll take a closer look at it and if I get it, this one will go to one of the grandsons.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    I'm always looking for a *small* camera that will take good quality pics - at least 5 MP.

Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    I was looking for a camera that I could fit in my jersey so I wouldn't have to take my expensive camera strapped around my neck on rides. I found a Polaroid camera at Target for $39.00 and bought it. It's only 3 MP but takes really good pictures for it's price. My only issue with it is that it goes through batteries very quickly, especially if you leave them in the camera when it's not in use. However, after I bought it, I found a nicer 7 MP camera at Wal-Mart for the same price. Next time I'm at Wal-Mart, I'll take a closer look at it and if I get it, this one will go to one of the grandsons.
    I really wanted an optical zoom, which is what makes the price difference. Agreed $75 is not cheap - but for an optical zoom, at least in my experience, it is.

Motorcycle RoadRacer cehowardGS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am packing and old Olympus 310 (I think). It is halfway broke. I have a HD videocam, but it freaky with the white balance, and I have a Nikon D5100, that I don't know how to work!! .. So, the old broken Olympus gets carried most of the time..
    2001 Raleigh R700
    1996 Litespeed Classic
    1995 Klein Quantum
    1989 Cannondale Black Lightning
    1988 Centurion Expert Ironman
    1989 Centurion Master Ironman
    1986 Schwinn Prelude(Beater)
    1986 Raleigh Grand Prix(Beater2)
    1985 Raleigh Prestige
    1985 Raleigh Competition
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #1
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #2 (project #1)
    1985 Raleigh Super Course (project #4)
    1979 Raleigh Competition GS-1

2007 Suzuki GSX R1K (commuter)
    http://www.cehoward.net/pretty.jpg
    73,Old,Dirty,&Fast

Motorcycle RoadRacer cehowardGS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I'm not one for expensive toys. I have wanted an optical zoom camera for bicycling, but they all seemed pretty expensive for my tastes. While my cell phone takes decent pics, it has only a digital zoom - not what I really wanted.

So, I saw this at Amazon today for real cheap - 50% off because, I guess, it is red - anyway the silver and black are about twice as much. Now, red doesn't bother me a bit, as it is easier to find. 8x optical zoom. Pretty good reviews.

And, if I lose it or break it - well, $75 won't kill me!!

"[/I]
    Now you gotta show us some pics with your new toy....
    2001 Raleigh R700
    1996 Litespeed Classic
    1995 Klein Quantum
    1989 Cannondale Black Lightning
    1988 Centurion Expert Ironman
    1989 Centurion Master Ironman
    1986 Schwinn Prelude(Beater)
    1986 Raleigh Grand Prix(Beater2)
    1985 Raleigh Prestige
    1985 Raleigh Competition
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #1
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #2 (project #1)
    1985 Raleigh Super Course (project #4)
    1979 Raleigh Competition GS-1

2007 Suzuki GSX R1K (commuter)
    http://www.cehoward.net/pretty.jpg
    73,Old,Dirty,&Fast

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you very well know, DF, without pics, it didn't happen!

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot, Raleigh Delta (Project Bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post

My first camera cost me $325 in 1977 dollars it would have been around $1150 today, my dSLR, I bought used for around $400, but when new it would have cost about $1,200 so yea, $75 for a camera is cheap. I find that small cameras made by traditional camera companies are better then small cameras made by electronics companies, simply because they have better lenses, which means they take better pix.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waldowales View Post
    As you very well know, DF, without pics, it didn't happen!
    The camera went into the USPS shipping mail today. When I get it, I will have the camera take a picture of itself in a mirror, and then ask the camera to post it!! All just for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    C'mon, Denver. 4 posts by you in this thread and this still needs to be said?

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I really wanted an optical zoom, which is what makes the price difference. Agreed $75 is not cheap - but for an optical zoom, at least in my experience, it is.
    At 14 MP with a 8x optical zoom, that camera should take some really great looking pics. Enjoy it and definitely do show some pics.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Kona Dew Drop, Specialized Expedition Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
    My first camera cost me $325 in 1977 dollars it would have been around $1150 today, my dSLR, I bought used for around $400, but when new it would have cost about $1,200 so yea, $75 for a camera is cheap. I find that small cameras made by traditional camera companies are better then small cameras made by electronics companies, simply because they have better lenses, which means they take better pix.
    Panasonic Lumix cameras -- many of them anyway -- have Leica lenses, and Panasonic actually makes digicams for Leica.
    My knockin'-about camera is a waterproof, drop-proof, dustproof Fuji. It's durable enough to take anywhere -- biking, skiing, kayaking, even swimming. It gets used a lot more than fancier, more delicate machines.
    Last edited by marmot; 11-01-11 at 06:17 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marmot View Post
    Panasonic Lumix cameras -- many of them anyway -- have Leica lenses, and Panasonic actually makes digicams for Leica.
    My knockin'-about camera is a waterproof, drop-proof, dustproof Fuji. It's durable enough to take anywhere -- biking, skiing, kayaking, even swimming. It gets used a lot more than fancier, more delicate machines.
    Panasonic may make cameras for Leica, but that's made to Leica's specifications and have to pass Leica's quality control. The lenses used by Panasonic, would be manufactured by Panasonic, under licence from Leica, and probably need to pass, some level of Leica mandated QC, in order to abide by the licence. Once upon a time, the Leica lens factory was here in Canada, they made some cameras in the Eastern Bloc, Poland I think, but they did their design work in Germany. I think they still do the design in Germany, but all the manufacturing is done in Asia....

Not to say that their own cameras aren't any good, but Panasonic makes a lot of different stuff, and camera's are not their primary business. Personally, if I were to buy a new camera, it would be a Canon, only because, for digital cameras we have had good luck with Canon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    C'mon, Denver. 4 posts by you in this thread and this still needs to be said?

The camera went into the USPS shipping mail yesterday. When I get it, I will have the camera take a picture of itself in a mirror, and then ask the camera to post it!! All just for you.

My Bikes
    '11 Cannondale Synapsese 5 105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,

AT $75, you really cxan't go too wrong. 8X optical zoom is admirable and at that price, again, you really can't go wrong. I am not overly thrilled with that many megapixels on such a small sensor....often it can cause "noisy" pictures (pics that don't look as sharp as they should), and at full resolution each pic would eat up a lot of memory space on your memory card, as well as take longer to write to the card....not huge deals for sure but can get annoying over time. I would keep my resolution to around 5 or 6 MP. For any photo up to about 12"x14" you don't need any more than that. Also there will be some shutter lag, this is the time it takes for the shutter to actually fire after you depress the shutter button. Almost every pocket digicam has this issue, so shooting moving objects will be a problem. Picture quality should be quite good with that camera. Most optics for pocket cameras are pretty similar until you get up to the multi-hundreds of dollars, and at that point, you may as well get a DSLR which, clearly, you do not need or want.

You should enjoy that camera very much...and SHOW US SOME PICS!!!!

Cheers,

Brian J.
    Fellow members. I am riding in The 2014 Ride to Conquer Cancer
    I am starting to raise $2500 to support the wonderful work done at The Princess Margaret Cancer Centre. Please support this great organization.

Please help me by donating so that I can ride. Please go to my link at www.conquercancer.ca/goto/Brian_Johnson . I would greatly appreciate it.

Bless You All.

Brian J.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baj32161 View Post
    Greetings,

AT $75, you really cxan't go too wrong. 8X optical zoom is admirable and at that price, again, you really can't go wrong. I am not overly thrilled with that many megapixels on such a small sensor....often it can cause "noisy" pictures (pics that don't look as sharp as they should), and at full resolution each pic would eat up a lot of memory space on your memory card, as well as take longer to write to the card....not huge deals for sure but can get annoying over time. I would keep my resolution to around 5 or 6 MP. For any photo up to about 12"x14" you don't need any more than that. Also there will be some shutter lag, this is the time it takes for the shutter to actually fire after you depress the shutter button. Almost every pocket digicam has this issue, so shooting moving objects will be a problem. Picture quality should be quite good with that camera. Most optics for pocket cameras are pretty similar until you get up to the multi-hundreds of dollars, and at that point, you may as well get a DSLR which, clearly, you do not need or want.

You should enjoy that camera very much...and SHOW US SOME PICS!!!!

Cheers,

Brian J.
    Thanks - I am aware of all of the above. If the camera was $150, I would likely have considered and bought others - but, in this case, the price made the difference, and the camera - as described - meets my projected needs. I have been taking all of my pics with my cell phone, so I hope this is a step up.

I will post. Right now, any pics would be white on white.

My Bikes
    '11 Cannondale Synapsese 5 105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    COOL!
    Fellow members. I am riding in The 2014 Ride to Conquer Cancer
    I am starting to raise $2500 to support the wonderful work done at The Princess Margaret Cancer Centre. Please support this great organization.

Please help me by donating so that I can ride. Please go to my link at www.conquercancer.ca/goto/Brian_Johnson . I would greatly appreciate it.

Bless You All.

Brian J.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My camera is built into my iphone which not only serves to get me help in an emergency but it is also my bike computer (iBike). One device for all three purposes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marmot View Post
    + 1 ! I have the Lumix DMC Fx-3 with the Leica Vario Elmarit, and it is a great camera. Sharp, tiny, reliable. And a lot of features, when you navigate the menus. It even took my avatar picture.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gear View Post
    My camera is built into my iphone which not only serves to get me help in an emergency but it is also my bike computer (iBike). One device for all three purposes.
    There is the age old issue of having one device do everything. If you break or lose your phone, you also broke and lost your camera and your bike computer at the same time.....

My Bikes
    My War
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Of course a camera and bike computer are kinda extra geegaws compared to a phone. Unless you're talking about a fancy GPS bike computer and you're in an area you're not familiar with.

If you're worried about breaking your phone you should bring two. The cam and computer are just frills, IMO.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Olde Western Auto Cruiser.

My Bikes
    Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An Olympus D425 is my favorite very simple digital camera for bike rides and hiking.

It has few moving parts (zoom is internal). Uses AA batteries. Very simple to use. Riding a bike I can use one hand to take it out of my pocket, hit the on switch and take a picture, even on a climb.

I'm keeping an eye on flea-bay for a cheap one to replace my old one. <$25.
    Gunnar Sport
    Specialized Ruby
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX
    Jamis Dragon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast