Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is the coldest temperature you will ride in . . .

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • 61 - 70F

3 2.05%
  • 51 - 60F

10 6.85%
  • 41 - 50F

25 17.12%
  • 31 - 40F

42 28.77%
  • 21 - 30F

18 12.33%
  • 11 - 20F

19 13.01%
  • 01 - 10F

13 8.90%
  • -9 - 0F

7 4.79%
  • -19- -10F

4 2.74%
  • Something else? - please tell us below. Thanks

5 3.42%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Coldest Temperature You Will Ride In Is . . . .

Winter is approaching in the Northern Hemisphere - so . . .
    Given:

• No or little wind
    • Clear sky, no precipitation
    • 10+ mile ride
    • Level or near level
    • Daylight
    • Average speed 12+ mph
    Or as many of these as your riding situation fits. (And, I am sure I forgot something above, which someone will kindly point out to me. )

So, what is the coldest temperature Fahrenheit you will ride in?

And, what secrets do you have about staying warm???
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-01-11 at 09:42 AM.
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have now had a couple of rides starting out at 30 degrees, warming into the mid 40s. My issue has been cold fingers and watering eyes. The fingers I can deal with by getting different gloves or lobster mitts. But the eye thing is more difficult.

I wear a wool beanie under the helmet. Full finger gloves. Wool zip neck top, with extra long sleeves with a thumb hole, I pull these sleeves down to keep the tops of my hands warm. Plain old nonbiking windbreaker type light jacket. I would prefer a jacket with pit zips. Terry tights. Wool socks.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted -9 to 0, which is about the coldest range I have ridden in, but only because that's as cold as it ever gets here. I would ride at lower temps.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

My Bikes
    2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw this thread in iSpy (so I'm under 50). As a fellow Denverite, I face the exact same weather as the OP. It's supposed to snow tomorrow, so I definitely won't ride tomorrow. It also snowed on this past Wednesday, but the ground was clear of snow on Friday. I was lazy and didn't get to ride until Sunday. It was a brisk 45 when I started, and it warmed up to 59 when I got home. I was comfortable in my legwarmers, bib shorts, long-sleeve compression shirt, and jersey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
    Weird spell/word check. "***" is "***". I'll never understand this computer. Andy.

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 31 to 40 range is about as cold as we see here in western Oregon, so that's about my limits. I've been out in colder temps (below freezing), but it's no fun.
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't get really cold in NW Florida but I rode a century in an ambient temperature of 21F with a 20-35Knot wind. Don't know what the wind chill would be on the chart. As the Road captain and the one that layed out the course I felt it was my duty to ride regardless.

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 11-01-11 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Can't spell worth a darn.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our coldest ride of 2011 was on Jan 1. The temp was below 32 (26-30 I am guessing) when we left the park.

If I lived in a colder climate, I would have more cold weather clothes. I normally only wear lycra knee and arm warmers, and a jacket, but it usually warms up to the 50's Dec thru Feb.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    32 F, pretty much. I'm basically a roadie so it comes down to a decision between what's more heinous, riding below freezing or riding the trainer. If the roads are nice and clear and it's bright and sunny out, I might go a few deg lower than 32.

My Bikes
    Scattante R670
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The coldest I've gotten to so far is -19* with the windchill on a 13 mile commute. It was not a pleasant experience and I'm not looking forward to the next time. AT ALL!

I love noodles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The parameters of the poll are hard to fit within the conditions I usually have here. I did ride Sunday in 28 to start but ended in the mid 50s. If it was forecast to stay in the 30s I wouldn't have ridden. So while I'll start on a sunny day in calm conditions in the upper 20s it had better warm up. I guess I would say if the temp wasn't going to increase, the mid 40s are about where I draw the line to start. I don't have many flat sections to ride so I have to deal with both climbs and descents and dressing for that is problematic when it's cold.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted for 11 -22. I will ride with buddies on the road with temps that cold but would rather ride inside. Mountain biking in cold temps is really nice because you are going slower with out the wind chill and the ground is frozen allowing for super gripping as long as the track is snow and ice free. Wearing the proper clothing is vital in cold weather riding, over dressing can be just as bad as under dressing due to sweating and dampness in the clothing.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to live in Michigan. I rode during the winter. I found that below 15 degrees, I did not get a decent workout because the wind chill generated by the moving bike kept me from riding fast enough to get a decent work out. Besides, at that temperature, it made sense to switch to cross country skiing.

Here in FL, it almost never gets below 31 degrees and very rarely does it get below 41 degrees.

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Road conditions are probably the limiting factor. I don't like to ride on ice or in slush.

My coldest ride last year was after New Years on mountain bikes up at Fair Hill preserve in Elkton, MD. I think that the wind chill was -17 degrees and the air temperature was just below freezing. Actually, it was a lot of fun, except where we had to cross smooth frozen puddles (scary) for a few feet at a time.

Anything above freezing isn't a problem if you know how to layer and have proper gloves, I think. PG
    Last edited by Phil_gretz; 11-01-11 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Fair Hill - the old Dupont land

My Bikes
    Mercier Galaxy as my daily commuter.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will start my rides when it is in the mid to low 30's as long as it's going to warm up at least to the low 40's. If it's going to stay in the 30's I'm usually on the trainer. I'm lucky cause I also ride motorcycles so some of my MC clothes and some of my ski clothes can used used for cold weather bike riding. Plus my wife is a seamstress/designer so if I cant buy it she can more then likely make it.
    Jay B
    2010 Merceir Galaxy/2011 Bianchi Via Nirone 7
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...1/exercise.png

Motorcycle RoadRacer cehowardGS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have pulled up in front of Bally's Gym at 9 degrees on my motorcycle. My comfort zone in those low temps are about 25 minutes tops.. On the bicycle, I have rode the 7 miles to the subway in 11 degree temps. I have on layers (4)motorcycle cold weather gloves. Comfort zone about 25 minutes. That means after 25 minutes, time to stop and get warm. I go pass my comfort zone, I am unsafe and freezing.

This winter I am thinking about getting some electric socks. I think they might work. Although I will come out and ride in the low temps, I will not mess with the snow/ice.
    2001 Raleigh R700
    1996 Litespeed Classic
    1995 Klein Quantum
    1989 Cannondale Black Lightning
    1988 Centurion Expert Ironman
    1989 Centurion Master Ironman
    1986 Schwinn Prelude(Beater)
    1986 Raleigh Grand Prix(Beater2)
    1985 Raleigh Prestige
    1985 Raleigh Competition
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #1
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #2 (project #1)
    1985 Raleigh Super Course (project #4)
    1979 Raleigh Competition GS-1

2007 Suzuki GSX R1K (commuter)
    http://www.cehoward.net/pretty.jpg
    74,Old,Dirty,&Fast

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a lad I rode in any weather at temps down to -20 deg. Today (me at 65) that has changed to the point that I don't leave the house when temps dip below freezing. My legs just won't take cold anymore. Damn!!!!
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked the +10 range because at the speed given I'm still not in the frostbite category according to the wind chill chart. But, it would have to be a pretty special circumstance before I would ride in weather that cold.

I've ridden in below freezing temperatures a couple of times. One time it turned out to be fun. As the day warmed and I saw new territory and I was able to shed clothes it was a good time. The other time was a group ride with temps in the +20F range. The day was bright sunshine but cold and the route was hilly. It was never fun. My two reasons for riding are, first and foremost, FUN and fitness. That day brought neither due to frequent warming stops.

Now I think that freezing with the forecast it will warm is as cold as I'll go. On the other hand on a motorized vehicle like a snowmachine I have fairly routinely rode in -40F/C weather. Big difference though.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No limit. One difference between cars and bikes is that bikes will start at all temperatures.

Paul

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just started riding again(did as a kid and in college) now at 53, started April '11 so I haven't found my limit yet. I've gathered some cool/cold weather gear to keep riding as long as I can. The lowest temperature so far I've ridden in was on Sunday where it started out at 36F(2.2C) and ended, after 20 miles, around 45(7.2)--plus a nasty wind chill factor since it was fairly breezy. I'm hoping I will be riding when it gets in the 20s F here. Generally, we get a 2 or 3 weeks during the year in the teens with highs in the 20s. Most of the time Winter in my area is in the 30s to the 70s--depending on where the front is over our area. Hampton roads is a winter wonderland--you never can predict what the winter temperatures will be in this land. This reminds me...I need to get a balaclava in preparation.

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Temperature isn't really a determining factor, because you can dress for it, what is, is road conditions, around here, if it's below freezing, there is likely to be ice on the road, and I don't like riding on ice, studded tire are illegal for road use here.....

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually love riding when its between 50 - 55. I will, if forced, ride when its in the high 20's/low 30's but that is cold for me. Living in sunny CA I don't have much experience with really cold weather. On a trip through Utah, one morning started out going downhill when it was around 28 degrees. My hands and brain stopped working and I had to find someplace to warm up before travelling on. I think the downhill was the problem. Had I been climbing, the temp would probably be OK.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany. Just ordered a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105 to replace my "destroyed" CAAD 10 2.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once rode to work in 18F (-8C) temperatures. Not fun.
    Now that I'm retired the coldest I want to ride in is high 30s. That's with lots of sun and little to no wind.

On a related note, I've found that my average speed decreases (on either bike) once the temps get cold enough for knee or leg warmers and full finger gloves. It really slows when I add a vest or jacket. Seems my muscles are rebelling against the idea of being out in the cool/cold.
    Last edited by RonH; 11-01-11 at 03:43 PM.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105 on order

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Voted 21 to 30 as that was the temp I rode in last winter-- Below freezing but not on the road. Too much ice on thin slicks and I am Chicken.

However offroad and Snow- Ice or Mud and there is not a great deal of difference betwen them--Except falling in mud and Snow is a soft landing. Ice still hurts. I have ridden when colder but below freezing is about my limit nowadays--Providing I can find that damn Ski mask that has joined the sock Fairy.

Edit---And speed goes way down. Still do the same routes and hills- Providing the snow is not that deep- but speed well below normal due to the 10Lbs? of restrictive clothing I wear.
    Last edited by stapfam; 11-01-11 at 04:35 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Fail Boat crewman
    My Bikes
    Reynolds 853 Jamis Quest 1990s
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Under 50 here but I commute 365 unless there is a holiday.

In the PAC NW we get rain, sleet, snow, more rain, and a lot more rain. Winds can howl up to 30+ mph inland and double that on the coast.

As long as I can ride on the road and not ice skate to work I am good. I made the news last year for biking in a December "snow storm". There was no storm, just really big flakes that freaked people out.

Bottom:
    Smart Wool Socks
    Sotto Zero Booties
    Two pairs of tights
    Underarmor wind brief
    Snow pants for water

Top:
    UnderArmor compression SS shirt
    Underarmor Cold Gear Compression long sleeve
    Perhaps another tech shirt if I need it.

Outerwear:
    Jacket with pit zips (Mountain Hardware Dragon)
    Buff merino Wool sleeve
    Polar Fleece beanie
    PI Cyclone gloves
    Embrace the suck patch on the beanie.

My commute is not level and my windchills would be about that except my down hills are 20+ mph. So 0 degrees with a 20 mph windchill is cold especially when you are getting pelted with sleet.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was in my 20's and in the military, I did a winter survival training course in Greenland and handled it quite well. Now, I guess you can call me a wimp because I don't like cold weather and don't handle it very well. Thus, the reason I live in Florida. I can take the low temps as long as there is no wind. I just can't handle it when it's cold and there is a wind blowing, even a slight one. We get breezes from the Gulf and the bay and those winds bring moisture with it and it just cuts right through me. Since riding generates it's own wind, I usually don't ride if the temps get in or below the mid to low 50's. Then, it's trainer time.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast