Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Fly fishing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT: Fly fishing

Any fly fishers out there?
    From my last trip. Decent brown. Big ones about to be had soon. 4wt TFO with 6x tippet:

Last edited by bigbadwullf; 11-03-11 at 09:32 AM.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the 1st year that I haven't gone flyfishing in a while. The summer here was hot and windy and with the price of gas being what it was, I was less inclined to drive 2-3 hours to hit my usual spots. Typically I use a 4DT with a 5 or 6x tippet on a Sage 7 1/2ft 4wt rod. One of my winter chores this year will be cleaning, rearranging, etc my gear. Its a wonderful way to fish and particulary with dry flies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've even decided to bass/ bream(blue gill) fish with a fly rod. For that I use a Redington Predator 6wt 7'10" rod. Tons of fun especially when the bass are hitting the surface on poppers! for sub-surface I use a chain bead eyed wooley bugger mainly. The hits are completely different on the wb. More of a slurping up than a hard hit like on typical bass lures.

2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

XR2
    My Bikes
    88 Bridgestone T700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Natives.

I owe-therefore I am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics guys. Here is a nice rainbow taken in late August on the Kanektok River in Southwest Alaska. Caught on a 6wt. Sage Rod using a egg imitation. Quite a fight - the rainbows in Alaska are strong!

I am taking my wife flyfishing tomorrow for our 25th wedding anniversary. Yes, my wife loves to flyfish too...I am a lucky, lucky man!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Northerners, eat yer hearts out. This is what a blue gill is supposed to look like:

Last edited by bigbadwullf; 11-03-11 at 01:49 PM.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, Trek 7200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fly fish mostly in warm water and catch black bass, stripers and white bass around home (east Texas). But my real love is fly fishing on the Texas coast for redfish. If you have never tried salt water fly fishing, do yourself a favor and check it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now this is something I have a desire to learn. Possibly I'll go take the L.L. Bean 3 day fly fishing class in the spring.

But. And a big but. I do NOT need another expensive hobby !.

Sigh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not been for a year or so , but found a whole batch of rods and reels and my big box of fly tying stuff, so later this winter will practice up on tying technique,and get ready for the summer...
    Bud

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't tried fly fishing, do some spin casting though, I don't fish to actually catch anything, I fish so I can sit by the water without needing to really do anything for an hour or two, I'll set my hook a couple of feet above the bottom, take a good cast, and just watch the floater, bounce up and down until I get bored and go home. Last time I caught something good, was with my Uncle and cousin, sitting in my Uncle's boat, I was probably 22 or 23 at the time......

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the Lamar River.... Yellowstone, 2008

I wish fishing was as good for you as cycling!
    On the Elk River British Columbia....

Last edited by billydonn; 11-03-11 at 08:31 PM.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's put this back on topic. Does anyone ride their bike to a favorite fishing hole? I am sort of surprised that I have only seen one person with fishing gear on a bike in all the miles of touring I have done. It seems like a great way to spend a rest day or two, even for someone who is as fishing ignorant as me.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it does turn out that really great flyfishing destinations are often also great areas for cycling... especially mountain biking. Fernie, BC is an example. Durango, CO also, and many places in the great state of Montana.

My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    Let's put this back on topic. Does anyone ride their bike to a favorite fishing hole? I am sort of surprised that I have only seen one person with fishing gear on a bike in all the miles of touring I have done. It seems like a great way to spend a rest day or two, even for someone who is as fishing ignorant as me.
    Sure do. I love to strap my 4 piece rod to my camelback and ride my Mountain Bike in to a number of mountain rivers. On my bike, I can cover so much more ground than a hiker can, and get into places on rivers that get little pressure.

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like such a sissy! I ride 5 miles to a community pond and catch and release hatchery rainbows. Don't tell anybody, but I sometimes bring them home and eat them, fresh or smoked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best trip was combining dirt biking with fly fishing in Colorado. Great way to get from fishing hole to fishing hole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Well, it does turn out that really great flyfishing destinations are often also great
    , CO also, and many places in the great state of Montana.
    The Bighorn in Montana, is really good,,,,
    Bud

My Bikes
    Trek 1400, Trek 6500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When visiting my son, Mountain bike along Rock Creek, MT. Just watch out for the outfitters hauling trailers. They are wide and fast!

RPH-101014-Drake-RockCreek-MT-7478.jpg

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it does turn out that really great flyfishing destinations are often also great areas for cycling... especially mountain biking. Fernie, BC is an example. Durango, CO also, and many places in the great state of Montana.

My town of birth (Fernie). I have been lucky enough to fish the rivers of both and enjoyed them both immensely. Durango is a great little town.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what you do?

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Kona Jake, Centurion LeMans RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I do. Any kind of water, cold, warm, salt..... Great fish pics everyone!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldster View Post
    The Bighorn in Montana, is really good,,,,
    Bud
    I have made a note of that... it seems to be a float trip type environment.

My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have made a note of that... it seems to be a float trip type environment.
    and really worth it....
    Bud

My Bikes
    Trek 2100, Trek 960, Trek 2300, Novara Randonee, Specialized Langster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Billings, MT and back when the the fly fishing passion seized me I used to fish the Bighorn year round. It's not as good as it was--many years of low water due to diminished releases from the dam has reduced the number of fish per mile from around 10,000 to 3,000-4000--but it is still a very good river, though there are far too many guided trips in the summer. A decent fisherman could catch 10-20 good-sized trout 16-24 inches) on a good day, but could almost always come away with half-a-dozen. The first twelve miles below the dam is where the good fishing takes place. You can walk parts of it, but most people float. Drift boats are popular, but you can use a canoe, rowboat, or touring kayak. There is no white water or rocks to worry about. I don't fish much anymore, but the Bighorn is some of the best flyfishing in the lower forty-eight. It is best for nymphing, but there is good dry fly fishing as well.
    Trek 2300
    Trek 2100

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    I live in Billings, MT and back when the the fly fishing passion seized me I used to fish the Bighorn year round. It's not as good as it was--many years of low water due to diminished releases from the dam has reduced the number of fish per mile from around 10,000 to 3,000-4000--but it is still a very good river, though there are far too many guided trips in the summer. A decent fisherman could catch 10-20 good-sized trout 16-24 inches) on a good day, but could almost always come away with half-a-dozen. The first twelve miles below the dam is where the good fishing takes place. You can walk parts of it, but most people float. Drift boats are popular, but you can use a canoe, rowboat, or touring kayak. There is no white water or rocks to worry about. I don't fish much anymore, but the Bighorn is some of the best flyfishing in the lower forty-eight. It is best for nymphing, but there is good dry fly fishing as well.
    Bummer... it is the dryfly experience that I crave the most. I wonder if recent high water in MT will improve the Bighorn? I have fished the Madison many times between Ennis and Quake Lake and it is excellent scenery but not as productive as it once was (I am told). The Elk around the Fernie, BC area is the best fishing I have ever seen so far and I have been up there four times with great results every time. I can't wait to return to Durango someday to combine a fishing and cycling experience. I really liked it there but, alas, was not into cycling at the time of my previous visit.

My Cycling Blogspot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast