User Tag List

My Bikes
    Bianchi Europa, Trek 920, Cannondale RS500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you recommend this bike?

Performance Bike has this bicycle on sale for 800 bucks.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._20000__400315

For years I rode a Bianchi Europa and that was my summer bike for exercise and fun. This year I was given a Cannondale SR 400 and I put Ultegra brakes on it. It's about four pounds lighter than the Europa and in spite of the crap drivetrain and shifters I never ride the Europa. I was planning to upgrade the SR 400 with 800 bucks worth of Shimano components, but the Performance Bicycle is only 800 and it's about 2.5 lbs lighter than SR 400.

The Performance clothing I've bought is inferior. What about their bicycles? Any help appreciated. Vic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From all those reviews it looks like a great bike.I think they talk highly of GTs on the Road forums.Go for it...

My Bikes
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6c
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like a great deal. Aluminum frame with carbon fork. SRAM Apex shifters and derailleurs will be nice, i assume the crank and cassette are not Apex.

I looked at GTs website and they only list that bike with Shimano 105 for $1300.

When I searched for that bike with Sram all the links were redirected to Performancebike's website.

I have Sram Rival and really like the shifters over Shimano.

Call them up and get every question you have answered. The list price of $1300 sounds about right, so the discounted price is nice.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is usually cheaper to buy a whole bike than to do a full groupo swap. You have not mentioned the most important feature -- how well does the prospective purchase fit you and your needs and tastes?
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from Performance. Nothing. Nada. I would rather pay more someplace else than waste good money at Performance. They lost a bike I took in to them and refused to compensate me. Bad news.
    Who is John Galt?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a bit wary of anything from performamnce but occasionally a bike comes along that looks too good to be true. It may be "Too good" to be true in this case but with regard to value- this one looks exceptional. A decent groupset that has not had many downgrades from that advertised and a wheelset in Mavic Aksiums that are of known good quality. In fact- as I am looking for a cheaper bike for next year- This one could interest me.

But be warned- The name of GT used to be a respectable name in bikes. Frame quality was good with the only downside being that they were a bit overbuilt and heavy. Used to be a bike that was well specced for the price and indestructable but handled well. That company went bust and the "New" GT company are not the same so I would not like to comment on the frame quality or ride of these new bikes.

Buying mail order does pose its own problems in that some assembly will be required and if any warranty issues do come about then it cannot be done at your LBS. You have to make certain that the bike is going to fit aswell and be prepared to change a few items that do not suit you at a later date--Or sooner if requiredl.

Now the next bike up is a Sram Rival version for the same price. Listed at a higher normal retail and the only difference being the groupset and colour of the frame. I have some Sram Rival parts that I like and can vouch for. I know nothing about Sram Apex so perhaps someone else can comment.

Much as it goes against the grain for me to say it but I would suggest that if you are on a budget and it will fit-- then go for it. Just don't expect to get the best performing bike around or get the most comfortable of rides.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VicM, Performance bike is large enough to privately spec. the bikes that they sell. There's just enough of the 'right things' about this bike to make it an attractive purchase. It is interesting that the frame with a Rival group is the same price (hint).

Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VicM View Post
    Performance Bike has this bicycle on sale for 800 bucks.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._20000__400315
    Our team rode GT Expert frames w/integrated seat post in 2009 and 2010. We got frames only and we built them out as we wanted. The Expert is very stiff and makes a great crit racing frame. At the time the retail price of the frame was more than the cost of this bike. That said it appears from the price that this is a low end bike which is what Performance usually sells. I suggest you go to a reputable local bike shop and work with them. It's going to cost you more money but you should end up with a better overall bike and one that fits you properly (very important).

Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus, Coachloren, buying from a legitimate local bike shop nets you the advantage of being treated as a valued customer and not just another victim of Performance's.
    Who is John Galt?

My Bikes
    Bianchi Europa, Trek 920, Cannondale RS500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the replies. Friday night I actually started to order the bicycle in question when my cheap-azz genes blocked the transaction. Over the winter I will put modern components on the old Cannondale frame and learn a whole bunch about bicycles in the process. Thanks again for your ideas. VicM

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the replies. Friday night I actually started to order the bicycle in question when my cheap-azz genes blocked the transaction. Over the winter I will put modern components on the old Cannondale frame and learn a whole bunch about bicycles in the process. Thanks again for your ideas. VicM
    The older Cannondales take to upgrading very well, I've an '89 CR300 that's finally built like I like it.

Brad

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the Sram Rival group suits--Why not buy the bike as it will cost about the same as the upgrades you are thinking of. Then transfer all the parts onto the Cannondale and the Parts from the Cannondale onto the G.T.

Instant n+1 or a bike that can be sold to cover any "Extras" that may be required on the rebuild.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VicM, if you are near Ann Arbor there is a Performance bike store there, you could just go look at and ride the GT.just sayin...