Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Got nice news from the Doc

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-11, 11:45 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Well, last year, Aug 2010, the doc put me on a new diabetes med, Victoza, Liriglutide (https://www.victoza.com/learn/about-victoza.aspx , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liraglutide), to replace the Janumet(Januvia + Metformin). I was on Janumet and Glimeperide but it wasn't working well. I still had an HbA1c of about 7.5%. I also weighed 251+ lbs.

Even with starting the introductory dose, 0.6mg(this is an injectable), I saw a drastic drop in blood sugar levels when I measured(around 40 or 60 points)--after I was on the prescribed dose, 1.2mg o.p.d., levels dropped further. When I went back in Dec '10, my HbA1c was at 6.0. and I dropped 30+ lbs(walking, eating better and less + new med). In May, also my physical, I was down to 173 lbs(walking and starting to cycle at the beginning of April), and my HbA1c was at 5.7. Yesterday, I weighed, at the docs, 154.9 lbs with clothing and my HbA1c was at 5.5. Less than 5.7 is considered normal HbA1c blood sugar levels. The doc also said that my cholesterol has dropped a lot as well. He wants me to cut my Glimeperide from 4mg/day to 2mg/day for my diabetes and he wants me to cut out Niaspan completely for cholesterol and reduce my other cholesterol med, Vytorin 10-40 to 10-20(Vytorin is Zetia + Zocor).

Victoza has definitely helped with my diabetes control, but my weight loss and vastly improved physical condition from the walking, and especially, from the biking, which I feel contributed even more, has been the greater benefit for my glucose control and health.

Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 11-05-11 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-05-11, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seems you are a prime candidate to work on the Committee for your local Tour de Cure. That work goes on throughout the year and includes more than just the one day ride.
Old 11-05-11, 02:04 PM
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
As a Type II diabetic myself, this looks very interesting. I will have to talk to my doc about it. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Brian J.

― Bruce Lee
Old 11-05-11, 02:09 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations on taking control and losing 100 pounds! That's quite an accomplishment.

Do you get to reward yourself with new bike schwag?

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 11-05-11, 02:54 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Baj32161, do read the links I provided in the first post. Victoza isn't for everyone. There are some significant warnings and I wouldn't suggest that anyone use it if they can control their diabetes using the usual meds--plus diet and exercise. Maybe if I had been better at exercise and eating earlier in life, I wouldn't need to use Victoza now. But, Victoza really works for me and the benefits far outweigh the dangers...at least for me.

Thanks. I bought a fair amount of cool/cold weather gear so I can keep up the good work during this chilly season. I'm contemplating getting a new bike, either a hybrid or road bike next spring for my birthday. The bike I have, the Diamondback Edgewood LX, is not the greatest but is serving me well. I just need to convince she-who-must-be-obeyed that it's a good idea(really, my wife is a WONDERFUL partner and she won't have an issue--been married 29 years June 2012) I'm going to see if I can sell off a couple of things(not bike related) to reduce the financial pinch.

Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 11-05-11 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-05-11, 03:34 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

You are a poster "boy" for the benefits of exercise and weight loss. My HEARTY congratulations on a very, very significant achievement.
Old 11-05-11, 03:58 PM

Bikes: 2013 Cervelo R3 Ultegra, 2011 Trek 2.1, 80's Guerciotti

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a type 2 diabetic myself, I congratulate you!! It's a lot of hard work to get where you are now, keep it up.
Old 11-05-11, 05:51 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

You are a poster "boy" for the benefits of exercise and weight loss. My HEARTY congratulations on a very, very significant achievement.
Originally Posted by Pokey Rider
As a type 2 diabetic myself, I congratulate you!! It's a lot of hard work to get where you are now, keep it up.
Thank you Pokey and Denvr, and everyone else.

I am determined Never, NEVER, to go back or even slip up. In Aug '10, I had resigned myself to a fact that I wouldn't likely ever be below 230 regardless of what I did, let alone under 200. My present state, mid 150s was not where I thought I would ever get. When I started eating better and walking, I figured if I got to 220 I would be glad and if to 199, I would be very pleased, but I found that even on rest days or lousy weather days I would get antsy and want to go for a walk when that was the exercise routine(4 miles at about 4mph during months 4 through 7 of the weight loss)(walked in cold rain and while snowing with an umbrella, and when I began biking, I would want to get on the bike and push myself. I even had one fall caused by another cyclist, not a serious cyclist, but dangerous cyclist(that gives riders a bad rap), where I badly bruised my thigh, but I was riding the day after my wheel got straightened. A couple of weeks later, a car ran me off the road into a ditch where I jammed my left shoulder quite badly, but I was riding a day or so afterward. I want to ride--I miss it if I haven't. I actually have to force myself to take a rest day. Usually I ride 6 days and rest one. I found the importance of the rest day when after 9 days straight of riding hard, I could tell it was a necessity.
Old 11-06-11, 07:42 AM
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As a height challenged person (I'm not fat, just too short) - seriously great work on your part~! I too have been losing weight, but to date, have yet to see any benefits. Granted, I've only lost 50ish pounds so far. May your health continue to improve, and your pill count continue to lower
Old 11-06-11, 10:07 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter_C
As a height challenged person (I'm not fat, just too short) - seriously great work on your part~! I too have been losing weight, but to date, have yet to see any benefits. Granted, I've only lost 50ish pounds so far. May your health continue to improve, and your pill count continue to lower
Thanks for the words...btw, I'm only 5' 7"(1.7m) (yeah, I shrunk...when I was young, I was 5' 8"(1.73m)...comes with age I'm told). I also would like the pill count to reduce as well.
Old 11-06-11, 12:15 PM
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, a smaller dose will soon equal less pills, as you get to the point that it is no longer needed. Some pills are for life (trust me, I know), but hopefully as you continue it will happen.

Speaking of which, I have already lost 1.5 inches, what a bummer~! I am no longer even 6ft tall (was 6'1") am now only 5'11"1/2
Old 11-06-11, 03:57 PM

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
100 pounds lost - that's is just fantastic Bikey Mikey!
Old 11-06-11, 04:35 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Great news, I am going to talk with my doctor about this stuff. Between being able to ride again and diet maybe this will do the trick.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-06-11, 06:46 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks all. The doc is really impressed with my progress and when I told him that I ride 20 miles/day 5 to 6 days(usually 6) a week and I usually have an overall average/ride of 16 to 17 mph over the 20 miles, his eyes bugged out.