Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Womans helmet?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Womans helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-11, 04:11 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Womans helmet?

Any recommendations for a lady's cycling helmet? I want to get my wife one for Christmas.
Old 12-03-11, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by teachme
Any recommendations for a lady's cycling helmet? I want to get my wife one for Christmas.
i got my wife a unisex LG hemet off bonktown. they were about giving them away (less than $30) and it was much better than both of us expected. it looks great and fits her way better than the bell it replaces. i almost wished i bought a large for myself too.
Old 12-03-11, 04:28 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
i got my wife a unisex LG hemet off bonktown. they were about giving them away (less than $30) and it was much better than both of us expected. it looks great and fits her way better than the bell it replaces. i almost wished i bought a large for myself too.
Just went to bonktown... Cool marketing strategy. Will have to keep an eye on this site. They are currently selling a womans wetsuit. Weather doesn't get cold enough down here in southeast Texas so I will pass on this item, but will definitely save the site to my favorites.
Old 12-03-11, 04:29 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i found it on amazon but it does cost more:

Louis Garneau Mundial
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KKGCH6

hers is silver, she loves it.
Old 12-03-11, 04:41 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
i found it on amazon but it does cost more:

Louis Garneau Mundial
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KKGCH6

hers is silver, she loves it.
Thanks for the headsup on Amazon. I like that helmet! Does any of the foam show in the back? I want to get her a helmet that is completely incased in the hard stuff. Also, the review says it has a low profile look. Is this true? thats what I am also looking for, a helmet that looks smaller on the head. Thanks for your input!
Old 12-03-11, 04:46 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by teachme
Thanks for the headsup on Amazon. I like that helmet! Does any of the foam show in the back? I want to get her a helmet that is completely incased in the hard stuff. Also, the review says it has a low profile look. Is this true? thats what I am also looking for, a helmet that looks smaller on the head. Thanks for your input!
the back side does have the now traditional exposed foam on the back. i wouldnt call it really low profile but that is a product of the size. the small is quite small but still has the same shell thickness of a larger size. in a large it would probably look slimmer.

she has only had it for a week or so. the biggest improvements over her old bell are in fit and ventilation.
Old 12-03-11, 04:54 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
My wife wears the women's Giro helmets. She has a Kaya and a Skyla. They fit her will.
Old 12-03-11, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
My advice is to get her a gift certificate. Good helmets come in different sizes and different models fit differently. The best helmet for a particular person is the one that fits best. Good fit = better comfort and better safety.

If she already owns a helmet that fits well and you really want to buy a new one in advance, different models from the same brand often fit similarly if you buy the same size.
Old 12-03-11, 05:50 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
My advice is to get her a gift certificate. Good helmets come in different sizes and different models fit differently. The best helmet for a particular person is the one that fits best. Good fit = better comfort and better safety.

If she already owns a helmet that fits well and you really want to buy a new one in advance, different models from the same brand often fit similarly if you buy the same size.
this is a good point. we gambled on my wifes helmet (due to the price) and won. it fit great. her old one looks very much the same but fit poorly.
Old 12-03-11, 06:48 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
+1 on the gift certificate for the wife. I let Monica pick her own helmet so she would be comfortable, have the helmet SHE wanted and it fit properly.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-03-11, 08:42 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I recently replaced my Giro with two helmets, one for city/colder weather riding and the other for the road. The road helmet is a Uvex. I had never heard of them but I went to a large bike shop and tried on helmet after helmet. It was light. It was very adjustable. It seems well vented. It doesn't make me feel like I have a mushroom head.

The other helmet I bought was a Bern. I have been wearing this helmet all the time lately because it is cold out. It is the most comfortable helmet I have ever had in my life.

Head size and shapes are so individual that I agree with those who say she should go and try on helmets and pick one out for herself.
Old 12-07-11, 09:52 PM

Bikes: Cannondale R1000 (sold) ; Gary Fisher Cake 2; Gary Fisher Napa (hybrid), and a Brompton M6R raw lower gearing, and my new purchase, a Royal H Mixte.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an expensive roadie helmet (I'm crashing this board). But, as a woman, I would check out some new helmets. Specifically:

Nutcase helmets at www.nutcasehelmets.com
or
Yakkay helmets at www.yakkay.com

If I am going to get a new helmet (and I have two-three old ones throughout the years) - I'm going for these next.