Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garmin 305 died on a ride again. :^( Gonna replace the battery!

I know this probably ought to be in the electronics area, but some of us never go there and this may help someone.

My 2 y/o Garmin 305 is not holding a charge very well. I charged it after my Thursday AM ride, and Sat AM the darn thing died 15 min into my ride. And wouldn't you know, I was on a strange ride I had never done before.

Anyway, I googled "Garmin 305 battery replacement" and I found this site:http://www.jimcarson.com/2009/replac...rmin-edge-305/

Since I was a electronics tech for much of my life, this is a no brainer. And I found the bigger battery on ebay for $2.96 and FREE SHIPPING! So, next week I'll be able to put this in, and enjoy long rides.

Hope this might help some others.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the problems on a Garmin 305 is that the battery conections come loose. I have this on mine but can't be bothered to get it fixed. Incidentally- this is an F.O.C. repair from Garmin.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 305 will be 2 years old this Christmas. I am having charging issues as well. Kinda disappointed. Thanks for the post about replacing the battery and the FOC from Garmin. Since I am really good at frying electrical stuff I think I will check into the Garmin option. But the Do It Yourself is interesting. I bet there are some teenagers around here somewhere that might help. hmmm.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    2014 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 202s 2012 Scott CR1 Team, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had same problem with my 205 last week. Talked with Garmin support. We upgraded the software and that seemed to help. Had it for 3 years and never did Garmin connect thing before.

Oh, if this does not do it, Garmin will replace unit for $69. Very reasonable.

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the surgery to replace the battery went flawlessly. New high capacity battery ($4.00 0nline, delivered) worked great. But....

I was stupid. We had a ratty old tube of rubber cement. Rather than going out and spending a couple of $ on a new tube I use the ratty dried out stuff. And I didn't re-read the assembly directions so I forgot the little dabs of super glue. So....

First ride out about 5 mi into the ride I hit a mild bump. The cover and guts flew out and a car ran over the circuit board and screen before I could get back to rescue it.

I should have listened to that little voice inside that said "get new rubber cement" and "put a rubber band on it, just in case" etc.

So now I'm riding with a borrowed 305 until I can get a new (refurbed) unit, or find a trashed one with a good screen.

Anyway, will I try that again? Yes, but I'll be sure to follow directions and use a new tube of rubber cement. Lesson learned.

"For want of a nail... the kingdom was lost." George Herbert, 1640
    BT
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

My Bikes
    custom
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks much. My 305 has behaving oddly the last month or so and I was in mind to contact Garmin after the holidays. Now I can try to destroy it myself and justify a nice new 800.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthib View Post
    So the surgery to replace the battery went flawlessly. New high capacity battery ($4.00 0nline, delivered) worked great. But....

I was stupid. We had a ratty old tube of rubber cement. Rather than going out and spending a couple of $ on a new tube I use the ratty dried out stuff. And I didn't re-read the assembly directions so I forgot the little dabs of super glue. So....

First ride out about 5 mi into the ride I hit a mild bump. The cover and guts flew out and a car ran over the circuit board and screen before I could get back to rescue it.

I should have listened to that little voice inside that said "get new rubber cement" and "put a rubber band on it, just in case" etc.

So now I'm riding with a borrowed 305 until I can get a new (refurbed) unit, or find a trashed one with a good screen.

Anyway, will I try that again? Yes, but I'll be sure to follow directions and use a new tube of rubber cement. Lesson learned.

"For want of a nail... the kingdom was lost." George Herbert, 1640
    Could it be that the gods are pushing you toward a GPS free ride?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just made a mental note to get mine back to the factory to get the fault sorted.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creakyride View Post
    Thanks much. My 305 has behaving oddly the last month or so and I was in mind to contact Garmin after the holidays. Now I can try to destroy it myself and justify a nice new 800.
    WHen you are done, send me the screen! lol.
    BT
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through three 305s, with the first two being replaced by Garmin, before giving up and getting a 500. The 305 was a good first (or so) generation cycling GPS, but the design flaws just about made it more trouble than it was worth. I used rubber bands and did the battery connector fixit until the last one died in the rain. I've had no such troubles with the 500. I suggest going with that.

My Bikes
    custom
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I screw it up its all yours.

My Bikes
    custom
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had another thought related to this subject and this only applies if you have an iPhone. I had considered that since the Digifit app & dongle are full compatible with Garmin's wireless devices that if my 305 were to die that I would use Digifit in place of the Garmin since the cost would be less than $100 given that I already have the wireless transmitter for cadence & mileage and the Garmin heart monitor.

The Digifit seems to do as nice a job of GPS tracking as the Garmin (I have only tested it a few times for comparison purposes). Also, without the dongle, I have not been able to test the cadence & heart monitor. I have read some discussion on the internet that using the Digifit can significantly degrade battery life & since I have only used it in tracking mode so far I can't verify or refute this issue. Lastly, I have an older AT&T account so my web access is unlimited but I would suspect that a 4-6 hour ride could significantly chew into a limited data account.

Not as compact a solution as the Garmin but since I always carry the phone with me when I ride it seems a viable alternative.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordered a refurb unit today. $117 delivered. Complete. I have an android phone with the MMR app, but for me it's not a viable alternative. Battery life too short, and then there's the data thing. YMMV.
    BT
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"