Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike and the beach

I went for a ride along the beach before my wife started a race she was in. She had to get there early to check in. The temp was 38-40 degrees, not too bad. But the wind was blowing pretty good, 15 at least steady, with gusts thrown in for fun. The wind was blowing north to south, which was the direction I had to ride, along the beach. I started going north, into the wind. I was tough going, 7 miles all against the wind. Not lots of miles, but at that point I had it. So I decided to stop and take a pic of my bike on the beach. I found the logs to lean it against, with NYC in the background(but you really can't see it). I turned away from the bike to get some distance to take the pic. When I turned around, the wind had blown the bike over, on to the drive side! The chain was completely covered with sand, every link. It looked like a donut with sugar on it. I managed to was some off with the water from my bottle, but the first few revolution made a noise I don't want to hear again. It was a crunching sound, mixed with the grinding.
    9'rbeach.jpg
    The ride back to my wife's race was easy, it was all down wind.
    All in all, it was a good ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can so see New York, it's just under that band of smog in the picture.

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget the chain, get a new chain and clean the cogs and rings before putting on the new chain!

Sand and bicycles don't go together!

We can see New York on the picture--but it looks cold!