Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off the bike for a few days

...due to a freak bike accident.

I went on a group ride last night. When we finished up we parked our bikes to hang out for a while. When I was getting ready to leave to ride home, my bike started to fall over. I reached out and caught by the seat, and as I did something went POP in my elbow. The inside of the joint is very sore and in some positions applying any force to it results in a lot of pain. Instead of riding home on the bike, I got a ride from friend.

At rest, it's a little sore, but there are a lot of things can make it very painful.

I'm hoping I just pulled or maybe partially tore a muscle a tendon or something and it will heal up after a few days. If not, I guess I'll have to go to the doctor.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer. Sounds like a job for ICE, and lots of it.

Hope your feeling better soon.

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you rebound soon!!
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    Specialized Crossroads Elite, Specialized Trcross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the ICE.

About 6 months ago, I was reaching for a stray sock at the back of a clothes dryer, and hyperextended my left shoulder. It was sore as hell for a few days, and when I tried to raise my arm more than 90 degress it was really painful - sooo, I started using my right arm more instead. I finally went to see a doc about 6 weeks later and found that I had adhesive capsulitis, (aka "frozen shoulder), on the left side. The good news was that there wasn't a tear of the rotator cuff or surrounding ligaments - the bad news is that its taken about 2 months of PT to regain about half the range of motion I had before the dryer mishap.

Fortunately, I was able to continue riding my dailiy 16 mile round trip to work without incident. Long story short, if it doesn't feel better within a few days, its probably better to see your doctor sooner rather than later. Take it easy, get some rest, and feel better soon!!
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a happy coincidence, I called my doctor to see when I could come in, and they said I already had an appointment for this morning to recheck my blood pressure. Naturally I failed the BP test; it was high due to the pain. But checked checked my arm over and said it's a simple pulled tendon and should be better in a few days. I've never done that before. WOW did it hurt. Feeling a little better this afternoon, even though my ibuprofin has worn off. Ice for another day or two, ibuprofin and rest, including a few days off the bike.

There is some swelling in my elbow now, on the inside corner of it. I can feel the fiber of the tendon running from my wrist all the way to my shoulder. Now that I understand what a pulled tendon feels like, I realize I pulled a lesser tendon in my leg a few months ago (it's doing better now).
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clearly a sign that you should look into recumbent bicycles. Guaranteed to cure hypertension, too.

Or maybe someone should turn you in for abusing tendons.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrap an old tube around the elbow.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Injuries can happen at any time doing just about nothing. I once reached for a towel after a shower and my back went out, didn't even pick it up. layed on the floor for a while before help came. Same thing happened when i dropped a pencil, reached down and kept going, more floor time. Happy to hear it will heal quickly.

Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amputation at the shoulder should completely eliminate the sore arm.
    Who is John Galt?

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a Cat Scan from your avatar's hero! Then you will know. Just watch out for that copay price.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13