Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   My First Bike Overnight (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/780283-my-first-bike-overnight.html)

Trek_geek 11-07-11 08:59 PM

My First Bike Overnight

http://myson1lt.blogspot.com/2011/10...ight-ride.html

xizangstan 11-08-11 12:56 AM

Winter camping is one way to beat the crowds. Nice you had your choice of campsites. But wasn't it a bit chilly, especially around 3 to 5 am?

Louis 11-08-11 01:53 AM

Welcome to the 50+ forum.

I enjoyed your trip report. Yup, there's not much competition for camping spots this time of year.

I was on my way home to Ohio from Pennsylvania one autumn, years ago, and stopped at Pymatuning State Park to camp for the night. I had bought a 6 pack of beer just before entering the campground and "borrowed" a few hands-full of ice from one of the few RV campers prior to setting up my tent. The ice and my beer fit nicely into a plastic grocery bag. It got so cold that night that none of the ice had melted and the remaining 3 beers were still cold when I awoke in the morning.

doctor j 11-08-11 06:37 AM

Looks like a great ride. The peace and quiet must have been great!

Beverly 11-08-11 07:25 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Nice trip report. Are you planning trips for next season?

cleon 11-08-11 07:38 AM

Very Nice!

bigbadwullf 11-08-11 08:56 AM

Not much competition for camping sites? Was at one 2 weeks ago. F U L L!!

irwin7638 11-08-11 09:00 AM

I enjoyed your blog report. It sounds like a few more trips are in the future, you've got the bug! You might like reading the "real bike travel"section on my blog. I've had a similar brand of insanity for 40 years now, it just gets easier and more fun. Don't forget crazy guy on a bike, there are a lot of good stories shared there.

Marc

stonefree 11-08-11 09:01 AM

Good practice for the future.

xizangstan 11-08-11 04:22 PM

My little brother, the crazy one in the family, goes camping high in the Colorado mountains in mid-winter. He has this thing about making a snow cave and using it for his tent. He says snow's a great insulator and of course, keeps the wind out. I wonder how he handles the campfire and marshmallow roast...

Ken Brown 11-08-11 05:18 PM

Bicycle touring is wonderful. I get a real sense of freedom and accomplishment every time. My only regret is that I did not do more when I was younger.

Louis 11-08-11 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 13466609)
Welcome to the 50+ forum.

I enjoyed your trip report. Yup, there's not much competition for camping spots this time of year.

I was on my way home to Ohio from Pennsylvania one autumn, years ago, and stopped at Pymatuning State Park to camp for the night. I had bought a 6 pack of beer just before entering the campground and "borrowed" a few hands-full of ice from one of the few RV campers prior to setting up my tent. The ice and my beer fit nicely into a plastic grocery bag. It got so cold that night that none of the ice had melted and the remaining 3 beers were still cold when I awoke in the morning.

I'm laughing. I was interrupted, as I was typing this reply, by a late night phone call. When I came back I guess I had lost my train of thought by then and hit the "send' button thinking the post was complete. Rereading, I see that I failed to finish making my point which was probably about cold fall camping. Or something. 50+ brain fart.:rolleyes::o:lol:

Trek_geek 11-09-11 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ken Brown (Post 13469624)
.... only regret is that I did not do more when I was younger.

Life (wives, kids, jobs) has a tendency of taking over our youthful expectations and desires. I wouldn't give up a minute of the soccer games, boy scouts, marching band and "life as I have lived it as a father, husband and FBI Agent". I feel blessed that I still have the desire and health to stay off the couch and experience the next chapter in my life and prove what everyone is saying, that 60 is the new 40...

Trek_geek 11-09-11 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by xizangstan (Post 13466533)
Winter camping is one way to beat the crowds. Nice you had your choice of campsites. But wasn't it a bit chilly, especially around 3 to 5 am?

That was my biggest concern, watching the Wx reports to see how cold it was going to get. No worries with my 3 season 20 degree, synthic bag except getting it compressed enough. The bag ended up in a kayak bag on top because of it bulkyness.

xizangstan 11-09-11 11:25 PM

A good sleeping bag can be incredibly warm and snuggly. Makes you go 'turtle' on a cold night. Only problem is when you have to get up in the middle of the night to go pee...

teachme 11-10-11 06:49 AM

Cool story... I liked the part about squirting the dog with water... :lol:

Mark Stone 11-10-11 06:58 AM

Enjoyed reading your story! I bought an M303 at Performance in Denver in 1993, the M series of mountain bikes were built well. I rode mine to death for 15 years commuting, club/charity rides, urban, it did it all. Thanks for posting