Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A Clipless Fall!!! (warning long)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A Clipless Fall!!! (warning long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 05:33 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
If I rode clipless all the time, I am almost sure I would have avoided that fall . . . .
There other day I was riding a neighbor's bike with platforms and near fell over laughing at myself. I couldn't stop without kicking those non-existent clips free. <G>
Old 11-09-11, 05:58 PM
Rabid Member

Bikes: 2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doohickie
This is my challenge right now with one of my bikes recently converted to fixed gear while the other 4 freewheel. Different muscle memory involved. I'm trying to rotate back and forth enough to develop a second set of muscle memory. We'll see if that's possible.
A little bit of a tangent here, but be careful with that switch! 30 years ago someone told me it would be a good idea to train on a fixed gear bike in the spring - plus it would keep my only other bike out of the New Jersey slush, dirt etc. I built one up on an old Peugeot PX-10 frame with some heavy steel rims and pretty wide tires. First run out, everything was going fine, until I came to the railroad tracks that we always bunny hopped. I did the bunny hop just as I always had before on the "normal" 10-speed, stopping my feet with the cranks parallel to the ground and pulling up. Well, the fixed gear would have none of that, and pulled my butt smack down on the saddle, thus slamming the rear wheel right onto the second rail. Somehow I stayed up, but that hit put a big dent in the rim, and all the rest of the ride was "bump, bump, bump" on the no-longer-round wheel. A lighter rim or tire probably would have been toast.
Old 11-09-11, 06:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Some of us still use those.

If you're using slotted cleats, you don't need to pull the straps as tightly as you would with plain soles to get good foot retention. Both my fixed gear bikes are set up for slotted cleats. Once you're accustomed to them they really aren't harder to manage than clipless.
toe clips and straps dont need to have cleats, cleats added make it lots harder,I tried toe clips and cleats once,never again,,,,
Old 11-09-11, 07:31 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
If I could afford them I would gladly ride with Quill pedals, toe clips and straps and my old Detto Pietro shoes. I never fell once from not being able to release from them. In all the miles I ride I never saw a tip over from not being able ti release from clips and straps. I don't doubt it happened I just felt better with the old way.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-09-11, 07:45 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Clipless are much safer because if they are correctly adjusted, the foot should come off as soon as one start to fall, also don't use clipless with a certain amount of angle play.

It is all in the adjustment and experience. Straps and cleats are very dangerous compared to clipless.

I am glad you are okay
Old 11-10-11, 07:56 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by gcottay
There other day I was riding a neighbor's bike with platforms and near fell over laughing at myself. I couldn't stop without kicking those non-existent clips free. <G>
Happens to me on my Saturday morning club rides. There are so many stops during these rides that you end up spending most of the ride clipping out after just clipping in. I have MTB pedals and have an adaptor that clips into the pedals to convert them to platform pedals and end up twisting the foot on the platform when riding with my regular shoes. This happens on the hybrid as well as it also has clipless pedals on it.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 11-10-11, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Why didn't you just lift the front wheel up on to the curb?
Old 11-10-11, 09:15 AM
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mantra: Clip out early, clip out early, clip out early, clip out early, clip out early, clip out early...
Old 11-10-11, 09:49 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Why didn't you just lift the front wheel up on to the curb?
First off, about a hour ago, I passed the exact spot where I fell. I was on another bike, with toe clips/straps. Looking at the spot, I might could have jumped the curb, but my mind didn't think that fast. I just couldn't believe it wasn' t smooth pavement. Not only that, I was only about a yard from the smooth pavement. I might could have made it, if I attempted it. I recall with the same bike, the Litespeed Classic, I had rolled over something at low speed, and the front wheel and the bike was going down. I just snatched the bars back up, and the bike righted itself. So, plain and simple, I didn't think fast enough for that option. In fact, I only thought of it this morning when I passed the spot again, and then you brought it up. Will try that move with my beater bike to see if I can do it..

Thanks for that tip too...
Old 11-10-11, 09:54 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by on the path
Mantra: Clip out early, clip out early, clip out early, clip out early, clip out early, clip out early...
I am on to that BIG TIME now.

In fact, about a mile before the fall, when I was in traffic, I had clipped out the left foot and just roller along because it was stop and go traffic.
As I said in my first post, I am a MUCH WISER RIDER after that fall, and was lucky enough not to get hurt and no real damage to my bike. What I got was a GOOD cheap LESSON..

Clipping out early
Old 11-10-11, 03:07 PM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
I ride my vintage bike 98% of the time. Yesterday, I decided to ride a paved bike trail. So, I took the Litespeed Classic. It has clipless pedals. The trail ride was sweet. The Litespeed, just ****led up the miles. I did about 30 miles on the trail, and called it quits. I took the train back to the city. Now, I am in the city riding with these cleats, I go toward what I though was a smooth pavement up to the bike path, but it was a CURB. I got right up to it, saw where it was indeed a curb, I brake, now I am almost still, I go to move my feet to catch my balance. Can't move my feet, I am clipped in, and oh boy. I went down. My shoulder and my head hit the ground. BTW, I am thinking the whole time "my bike, my bike" . Anyway, I always wear a helmet, no damage there. My shoulder took the bang pretty well, and the Lite speed came out with a few scratches on the left brifter. Everything straight.

It was pretty comical after I hit the ground.. Because I always be kidding with that phrase of "I have fallen and I can't get up"... Well that was the case. After I fell, I fell to the left side, my left foot came up clipped from the fall, but my right foot is still clipped in. I can't get up because I can't twist my right foot to un clip it.

About a 30 seconds after the fall, a bunch of people come over asking me if I am hurt, I smiled and said no, but I can't get up because I am still clipped in. They lifted the bike up gently, and finally was able to unclip my right foot. The red light had stopped the traffic. I have 8 or 9 bikes, no sure, but only one has clipless pedals, the Litespeed. I learned a lot in that fall. In traffic, I will keep one foot unclipped.. If I had one foot unclipped, I would not have fallen.

Can't say enough about wearing my helmet. My head took a bounce off the concrete. Would have been a bad show without a helmet. I am a much wiser riding now too.
This from a rider who just verified every single reason I discourage clipless in urban riding.

Couldn't have said it better myself......

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 11-10-11, 03:42 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by oldster
toe clips and straps dont need to have cleats, cleats added make it lots harder,I tried toe clips and cleats once,never again,,,,
If you only tried slotted cleats once, you really didn't give them much of a chance.
Old 11-14-11, 11:24 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am LEARNING THE ROPES!!

Yesterday, I rode that SAME bike and did the SAME route again. I rode through some traffic to get to the train, then took the train to the bike trail. Did about 30 sweet miles on the trail, then took the train back into the city and traffic. However, this time I am fully AWARE, that I am riding a clipless bike when I was in traffic. Sheesh, I was unclipping at the slightest thought of a stop coming up.. I will contiuned to do it this way until I get FULLY use to going back and forth from toe-clips to clipless. Most of my bikes are vintage bikes, and the Litespeed can almost be classed as vintage too, it is a 96 year model. I will not put toe clips on it, and on the trail, the light weight and low and tall gears of the Litespeed really comes into play.

Here it is yesterday waiting for the train for the ride back in town.. It suffered only a few scratches on the left brake lever in the fall..

Old 11-15-11, 06:53 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Glad to read you got right back on the horse. That is one nice looking Lightspeed you have there.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-15-11, 07:19 AM
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Curbs. Yeah, same thing happened to me my first ride in clipless after not riding any for several years. Brain locked up and forgot how to get unclipped. Just enough time to think, "Well. . . this is going to suck".

Fortunately for me though, the tension on the pedals was so loose I ended up not falling over completely.
Old 11-16-11, 03:45 PM
DisMember

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix, 1984 Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is just the first time you've toppled because of "clipless" pedals? In all your years of riding? Criminy. I do it routinely. All my bikes have rashes, mainly on the handlebar tape, from such behavior. I have a chipped bone in my left elbow from it. Ruined pricey biking shorts doing it. Entertained a large crowd and ex-girlfriend/her USMA-grad son at a Crit with it. I restored a vintage bike and laid it down the first time I rode it because of failing to unclip. Who called these da_n things "clipless" anyway?

You have a lot of catching up to do.
Old 11-16-11, 06:36 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by YokeyDokey
This is just the first time you've toppled because of "clipless" pedals? In all your years of riding? Criminy. I do it routinely. All my bikes have rashes, mainly on the handlebar tape, from such behavior. I have a chipped bone in my left elbow from it. Ruined pricey biking shorts doing it. Entertained a large crowd and ex-girlfriend/her USMA-grad son at a Crit with it. I restored a vintage bike and laid it down the first time I rode it because of failing to unclip. Who called these da_n things "clipless" anyway?

You have a lot of catching up to do.
I've fallen from clipless twice in 13 years - both times in the first month.
Old 11-17-11, 08:29 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dwellman
Curbs. Yeah, same thing happened to me my first ride in clipless after not riding any for several years. Brain locked up and forgot how to get unclipped. Just enough time to think, "Well. . . this is going to suck".

Fortunately for me though, the tension on the pedals was so loose I ended up not falling over completely.
"this is going to suck" That is the same way I felt! That is a weird feeling to come to an almost a complete stop, and then realize, you are going to fall!! Now, I can laugh about it. However, just like with motorcycles, you supposed to learn from all CRASHES/FALL/SPILLS or whatever. Makes us wiser/smarter/safer riders..
Old 11-17-11, 08:30 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I've fallen from clipless twice in 13 years - both times in the first month.
f

That is not a bad average. Hoping I can follow you, and log in my next fall from clipless 13 years from now..
Old 11-17-11, 08:33 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Glad to read you got right back on the horse. That is one nice looking Lightspeed you have there.

Bill
Glad for my helmet in the spill too. As of now, the bicycle gives me more of a rush then my sportbike. They used to be even, now, the bicyles are way, way out in front. The old Litespeed loves the paved trails. That was my 2nd or 3rd ride on a trail. I am loving it!!
Old 11-17-11, 09:13 AM

Bikes: Masi and clunker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are at a full stop you will need to be quick to get your foot loose before you fall over as I discovered recently, A fractured pelvis taught me that lesson so I agree totally with the above mantra.
Old 11-17-11, 01:11 PM

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh International; 1972 Raleigh International; 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fly7hotel
Second the idea of a new helmet. If you actually hit the helmet on the ground (sounds like you did) you may well have delaminated the fiberglass in the shell. Additionally, the foam will be deformed some. It won't protect as well as new. Hang it on the garage wall as a trophy
Emphatic +1!
Old 11-17-11, 01:25 PM

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh International; 1972 Raleigh International; 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I wish I had read this thread before riding Tuesday night. I decided to ride the "safe" bike trail instead of the roads where I had only managed 1,400 incident-free miles since May. I approached a decreasing-radius curve, paved with asphalt, felt great entering the curve, thought I might overshoot a little, so I laid the bike down for a little for more cornering force...big mistake. The 13-dollar Bontrager El-Cheapos lost grip, (rear) skidded sideways and WHOOOMP, down I went, cleats firmly secured to my SPD-SL pedals until impact. Bruises from left shoulder to calf, with a nice big hematoma on my left calf with road rash on my left arm, hip, and calf to show for it. My left Giro glove is a rag (it did its job) and my left shoe is a lot thinner on the outside. Bike suffered a scraped left brake hood, outside of pedal was scraped after my shoe was forced loose and handlebar tape was, somehow, cut. Had I unclipped my inside-of-the-curve pedal, I would have maintained my upright position if not gracefully. Twelve miles later, I rode to drug store, bought bandages and showed off my trophies (not the hip, mind you). I'll be back after the bruise heels a little while!
Old 11-17-11, 01:36 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jbkirby
I wish I had read this thread before riding Tuesday night. I decided to ride the "safe" bike trail instead of the roads where I had only managed 1,400 incident-free miles since May. I approached a decreasing-radius curve, paved with asphalt, felt great entering the curve, thought I might overshoot a little, so I laid the bike down for a little for more cornering force...big mistake. The 13-dollar Bontrager El-Cheapos lost grip, (rear) skidded sideways and WHOOOMP, down I went, cleats firmly secured to my SPD-SL pedals until impact. Bruises from left shoulder to calf, with a nice big hematoma on my left calf with road rash on my left arm, hip, and calf to show for it. My left Giro glove is a rag (it did its job) and my left shoe is a lot thinner on the outside. Bike suffered a scraped left brake hood, outside of pedal was scraped after my shoe was forced loose and handlebar tape was, somehow, cut. Had I unclipped my inside-of-the-curve pedal, I would have maintained my upright position if not gracefully. Twelve miles later, I rode to drug store, bought bandages and showed off my trophies (not the hip, mind you). I'll be back after the bruise heels a little while!
First, glad you okay, and second, you DID LEARN SOMETHING HERE, didn't you? That is the main point.

What you and I went through, it is called "experience"!! We all need it, and it makes up better and much safer riders!!

Safe riding to you,

Old 11-17-11, 01:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this isn't what you guys want to hear - but... A year ago I had a mechanical problem and went down at a very low speed because I was clipped in, and I got hurt rather badly. After that I decided I didn't need the cool factor anymore, and switched to platform 'touring' pedals. I enjoy cycling more now, feel a lot safer, and I think I ride just as fast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.