Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   The Grouch is Back (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/781035-grouch-back.html)

Retro Grouch 11-11-11 03:20 PM

The Grouch is Back

The good news is I didn't miss pie ride day this year. The bad news is that the apple pie that I had was hospital food. Mrs. Grouch and I toppled our Screamer tandem over on Labor Day and I broke my hip. During my recovery I was tottering around with a walker and couldn't get up the stairs to the room that houses my primary computer. I just started using a cane yesterday which made it possible for me to climb the stairs and post this.

Dudelsack 11-11-11 03:35 PM

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...int_teaser.jpg
Holy carp! I'm trying to learn how to ride a SWB 'bent and stories like this make me nervous. Glad you are doing better. Will you be back on a bike anytime soon?

stapfam 11-11-11 03:44 PM

Landing gear not working again?

I know Practice makes perfect but how much Practice do you need before you get it right? :innocent:

Heal quickly.

DnvrFox 11-11-11 04:34 PM

I have noticed that the forum was a bit less grouchy the past couple of months, but I could not figure it out.

Now I know why. Welcome back and heal quickly. :)

NOS88 11-11-11 05:05 PM

I'm so glad your recovery is well underway, and that you've made the climb to your computer. Those first steps are big when you can finally do them. Any sense of how the path looks between today and being back on a bike? And, how did Mrs. Grouch fare in the accident?

overthehillmedi 11-11-11 05:39 PM

And the bike? Heal well and quick!

Beverly 11-11-11 06:24 PM

The hospital is no place to go for apple pie:(

Sorry to hear about the broken hip and hope it heals quickly.

JanMM 11-11-11 08:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Your bentrider clone has been seen inquiring about trikes. There's worse things to ride. Like motorcycles.
Or scooters.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=226547

Welcome back. You'll be pedaling in circles in no time.:thumb:

Artkansas 11-11-11 08:39 PM

Glad you are healing. The ad by your entry is for a Terra Trike. Do you think BF is trying to tell you something?

Dan Burkhart 11-11-11 10:12 PM

Welcome back. You were missed. Hope you heal quickly and the hospital food has no lasting effects.

cranky old dude 11-11-11 10:21 PM

Ouch, Grouch!! :cry:

From "One Hip Dude" to a one hip dude. :innocent:

I do hope the healing process goes well.

miss kenton 11-11-11 10:59 PM

I am sorry to hear of your accident. I hope you heal well.

Nos88, I am happy to see you are back, as well!

Rowan 11-12-11 03:20 AM

You've become a little disaster zone, Retro. Didn't you fall and hit your head just before this episode? Hope you don't have anymore and the hip heals fast.

You've been missed, as has NOS88...

teachme 11-12-11 03:01 PM

Glad your back. Heal up quick! Or err take your time and heal up completely... :)

Retro Grouch 11-12-11 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rowan (Post 13484216)
You've become a little disaster zone, Retro. Didn't you fall and hit your head just before this episode? Hope you don't have anymore and the hip heals fast.

Yup, it's good that I took up bicycling rather than skydiving. In a 25 month period I had 3 bicycle rides that each ended in the back of an ambulance. Mrs. Grouch refuses to ever again get onto a 2-wheeled tandem with me. We're considering buying a pair of recumbent delta trikes that will link together. Anybody want to buy a well spec'ed but lightly used Rans Screamer?

Floyd 11-12-11 03:35 PM

Glad you are OK... and on your way back to putting foot to peddle, not backpeddleing..
keep up the good work

Retro Grouch 11-12-11 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by teachme (Post 13485466)
Glad your back. Heal up quick! Or err take your time and heal up completely... :)

Yeah. My doctor says I'm not out of the woods yet for AVN (a-vascular-necropathy). It means the blood supply to the bone is compromised and the bone dies. If that happens I'll have to get a total hip replacement. What my doctor didn't tell me is what I need to do, or need not to do, to avoid getting AVN. I don't think I'd be very good at basketball or volleyball while using my cane so, for now, I'm just avoiding the bicycle.

qcpmsame 11-12-11 03:46 PM

Hey Grouchy one,
Sorry to read that you were injured and had some hospital time. Glad you are doing better now and can post again.

While you were away we voted you a chapter President and Sergeant-at-arms:innocent:. You now get to do all duties and jobs that pop up here. Should have never missed a day here, you got elected:p.

Hope everything heals well, take your time and heal completely. Hope you can still enjoy Thanksgiving and some family time.

Bill

baj32161 11-12-11 07:16 PM

Welcome back and its good to hear that you are recovering. I have enjoyed reading your posts over in the Road forum. Now that I am an "older guy:D" I can continue to do so over here

Hope you are back in the saddle soon.

Cheers,

Brian J.

cranky old dude 11-12-11 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 13485553)
Yup, it's good that I took up bicycling rather than skydiving. In a 25 month period I had 3 bicycle rides that each ended in the back of an ambulance. Mrs. Grouch refuses to ever again get onto a 2-wheeled tandem with me. We're considering buying a pair of recumbent delta trikes that will link together. Anybody want to buy a well spec'ed but lightly used Rans Screamer?

Must be why they named it a Screamer? :D

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist.

That AVN sounds pretty scarey. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Dudelsack 11-12-11 08:13 PM

Just got off the Rans site. That bike was not inexpensive.

JanMM 11-12-11 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 13486319)
Just got off the Rans site. That bike was not inexpensive.

His has S&S couplers. Did you figure in that cost?
A Screamer can cost more than a Santana. Or less, depending.

Bikes are almost always much less expensive than cars and motorcycles, though.

Retro Grouch 11-13-11 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 13486368)
His has S&S couplers. Did you figure in that cost?
A Screamer can cost more than a Santana. Or less, depending.

Bikes are almost always much less expensive than cars and motorcycles, though.

....AND Phil Wood hubs and bottom brackets and IPS. I've got almost $100 in the (really nice) leather handgrips. Yesterday a co-worker asked me how much I paid for it. I told her that I couldn't answer while there was anybody in the room who had a history of heart problems.

Bicycles are the ultimate status symbol. Park a $30,000 boat and trailer in your driveway and your neighbors might not even notice. Casually let it drop that you paid $7,000 for a bicycle that you still have to pedal and they'll think that you must be made of money.

Retro Grouch 11-13-11 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 13485605)
While you were away we voted you a chapter President and Sergeant-at-arms:innocent:. You now get to do all duties and jobs that pop up here. Should have never missed a day here, you got elected:p.

No way.

Denver's the President and I'm not qualified to usurp his seat.

I'll do Sargeant-at-arms. I can hardly wait to start calling names at the under 50 interlopers who keep creeping in. I drive a school bus so I've developed a good vocabulary of names that I can use.

wobblyoldgeezer 11-13-11 09:16 AM

Wow. That's terrible. I'm sending right back at you, with interest, all the good wishes you offered me after my tumble a couple of years ago.

Strength and courage, pal