Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   50+'rs and Celebrex - usage, thoughts, side-effects?? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/781126-50-rs-celebrex-usage-thoughts-side-effects.html)

DnvrFox 11-12-11 06:44 AM

50+'rs and Celebrex - usage, thoughts, side-effects??

For the past couple of months, I have had increasing left hip pain and a tightening of the muscles around the hip area and into my lower back. This is aggravated by bicycling and walking and perhaps swimming. I am not sure about which causes what, however. It has limited my bicycling just a bit. It is not excruciating, but is certainly noticeable.

I have been doing a lot of stretching (as always), and, while it helps a bit, it does not stop the pain.

My left hip has always been subject to soreness since some acute bursitis from "a lifting a heavy rock injury" many years ago. However, thie most recent flare-up has been persistent. I don't really know if it is bursitis, arthritis or some sort of referred pain.

I know - "See a doctor" - which I will if it persists. But, right now, with my wife's never-ending complications from post-herpetic neuralgia (Shingles) and some other medical difficulties, it seems that we might as well move next door to the docs office. I am trying not to add a further burden and complication.

Which brings us to Celebrex. I am on aspirin therapy (related to my atrial fibrillation I had treated and cured some years ago, but for which I must still take a full adult aspirin per day) which means I can not use Ibuprofen or most other anti-inflammatories. I can use Celebrex, and I finally took one two nights ago. It (or something) provided relief yesterday, and everything felt much better.

So, finally, my question. Besides being horribly expensive, have any of you used Celebrex regularly, and, if so, what side effects or other complications, etc., have you had from it?

Monoborracho 11-12-11 07:27 AM

Denver - I started using Celebrex three years past at age 57. Initially 200 mg daily, then dropped to 100 mg. After having my right knee replaced four months ago ( I know, I owe you guys a long post) I no longer take it every day but rather 200 mg every other day, depending upon arthritic pain in the rest of the body.

The only effect it has on me, best I can tell, is to relieve the arthritic pain in my foot that is now learning to walk with a normal leg, and my other knee.

So, my opinion, ...no side effect....and it works.

buzp 11-12-11 07:58 AM

It can really upset some people's stomachs. I use it at night if I am having aches and pains above the norm. I have two bad shoulders and arthritis and the celebrex really helps, but I do use it sparingly as my doctor has instructed.

Just curious, but you say you have not seen your doctor about your problems. Celebrex is a prescription medication and you should probably see a doc and let him discuss the pros and cons of celebrex before you take it regularly.

DnvrFox 11-12-11 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by buzp (Post 13484470)
It can really upset some people's stomachs. I use it at night if I am having aches and pains above the norm. I have two bad shoulders and arthritis and the celebrex really helps, but I do use it sparingly as my doctor has instructed.

Just curious, but you say you have not seen your doctor about your problems. Celebrex is a prescription medication and you should probably see a doc and let him discuss the pros and cons of celebrex before you take it regularly.

Thanks for the feedback. The Celebrex was prescribed specifically for me by my doc when I was having my back pain and surgery this past year.

Phil85207 11-12-11 09:04 AM

Some interesting stuff on Google.

Looigi 11-12-11 02:21 PM

Here's a quote for what it's worth. Of course, check with your doc.

"The FDA recommends that you consider the following:
  • If you use ibuprofen occasionally, there is only a minimal risk that the ibuprofen will interfere with the effect of low-dose aspirin.
  • If you need only a single dose of ibuprofen, take it eight hours before or 30 minutes after taking a regular (not enteric-coated) low-dose aspirin.
  • If you need to take ibuprofen more often, talk to your doctor about medication alternatives. Your doctor may recommend a painkiller that does not interfere with the effect of low-dose aspirin"

Bluetail 11-12-11 03:01 PM

Celebrex is okay, but for me it seems to take a long time to kick in and isn't as effective at reducing inflammation and pain as 800 mg of ibuprofen.

i'd been taking 800 mg of ibu 3x/day--prescription dose--prior to hip replacement surgery in August and was experiencing the predictable gastric distress, so my doc jumped thru the insurance company's hoops to get an auth for Celebrex, which is supposed to be better tolerated. That's true, but give me ibuprofen any day.

qcpmsame 11-12-11 03:55 PM

Dnvr,
My mother took it for her arthritis in her hands and elbows several years ago. The Celebrex genuinely helped her and she had no side effects, not even the predicted stomach upset. Her doctor spooked when the heart damage warnings came out a few years back and took her off of it. She was furious but wouldn't change doctors and she paid for the hard headedness with increased pain from the arthritis. When she changed to a new, more competent doctor after several gaffes from him she had decided to do without the Celebrex.

I have long wondered if she should start back but I don't want to interfere so I just listen and help as she wants. (She did raise me and my brother and we both turned out semi-respectable, I suppose;).)

Best of luck and keep us posted in how you do if you decide to use the Celebrex. I think you will benefit, personally.

Bill

Monoborracho 11-12-11 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bluetail (Post 13485470)
........ Celebrex, which is supposed to be better tolerated. That's true, but give me ibuprofen any day.

Celebrex works well for me, taken on a regular or as needed basis. As needed - it takes about an hour or so to relieve symptoms.

Ibuprofen does next to nothing in relieving my arthritis symptoms. Just saying......

teachme 11-12-11 04:46 PM

Dnvr,
You might try iceing the lower lumbar region of your spine. It could be an inflamed nerve.

Dudelsack 11-13-11 11:46 AM

Celebrex is easy on the stomach UNLESS you combine it with even low dose aspirin. Then it has about the same ulcerogenic potential of any of the other NSAIDs.

All of the NSAIDs, including Celebrex, seem to interfere with the beneficial cardiovascular effects of aspirin.

If you use Celebrex routinely, get your kidney functions checked every three months.

It's a pretty decent medication.

Peter_C 11-13-11 04:28 PM

I've had a left TKR, and a right THR, and my right shoulder worked on, and my right knee is next. I have 'OA' rather badly, at one point was seeing my heart DR rather often (now bout 10-12 months), and am on many different meds including both aspirin and Celebrex.

I have been taking NSAIDs for some 30 odd years (bloodwork every six months), and once I was put on blood-thinners, I had to switch to Celebrex. Personally, I have never had any stomach issues with any of the meds I take. As with any prescription NSAID, your DR will want to do regular bloodwork to monitor kidney and other functions.

That's my only point. Yes, at one point you were prescribed Celebrex, but your DR will need to know that you are now taking it regularly, as your med list may be different now than when it was prescribed for you, or your condition may be different. In my case, it could be a simple call to my DR's office, letting them know I've restarted it.

As for effectiveness, personally I've used different NSAIDs that worked better for me, but at this point, I have no other choice, and it's better than nothing. The reason they have so many NSAIDs available is that what works great for me, may not work great for you. I do agree, that rather than dealing with joint issues that can be painful, a NSAID is the step to take. Just be aware that by not having an Ortho check you out, you are risking possible new or more damage, if you actually tore something...

Peter_C 11-13-11 04:33 PM

ACK~! To answer your actual question, I take both aspirin and Celebrex daily, and have personally had zero side-effects. Some folks report an upset stomach that is usually resolved by taking it with food. My dosage is one 200mg pill daily, and I take one 325mg aspirin both morning and night. I take the Celebrex in the morning.

Nightshade 11-13-11 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 13484356)
For the past couple of months, I have had increasing left hip pain and a tightening of the muscles around the hip area and into my lower back. This is aggravated by bicycling and walking and perhaps swimming. I am not sure about which causes what, however. It has limited my bicycling just a bit. It is not excruciating, but is certainly noticeable.

I have been doing a lot of stretching (as always), and, while it helps a bit, it does not stop the pain.

My left hip has always been subject to soreness since some acute bursitis from "a lifting a heavy rock injury" many years ago. However, thie most recent flare-up has been persistent. I don't really know if it is bursitis, arthritis or some sort of referred pain.

I know - "See a doctor" - which I will if it persists. But, right now, with my wife's never-ending complications from post-herpetic neuralgia (Shingles) and some other medical difficulties, it seems that we might as well move next door to the docs office. I am trying not to add a further burden and complication.

Which brings us to Celebrex. I am on aspirin therapy (related to my atrial fibrillation I had treated and cured some years ago, but for which I must still take a full adult aspirin per day) which means I can not use Ibuprofen or most other anti-inflammatories. I can use Celebrex, and I finally took one two nights ago. It (or something) provided relief yesterday, and everything felt much better.

So, finally, my question. Besides being horribly expensive, have any of you used Celebrex regularly, and, if so, what side effects or other complications, etc., have you had from it?

From 1998 to 2003 when I had to have both knees replaced I used a med not often heard of that relieved my pain without all the bad stuft that goes hand in hand with "Celebrex".

My doctor tried me ( and my wife) on Celebrex for a short time. My God, I got so crippled up (as did my wife) from that damn stuff I had to take time off from work to recover (1week).

After the failed Celebrex trial my doctor put us both back on "ARTHROTEC 75 TAB" which is what works for us.

Disclosure: http://arthritis.about.com/od/arthro...rotecfacts.htm

DnvrFox 11-13-11 06:44 PM

Thanks to all for the great responses.

Please rest assured that my Doc is being informed of what is happening in regards to my use of Celebrex. I appreciate the alternative suggestions, also, and that is very informative.

This group is a great resource.

qcpmsame 11-13-11 06:55 PM

I could not use Celebrex for either my old back injury nor my chronic, permanent abdominal pain because I have had 2 kidney failures with permanent damage to both kidneys. As I said above mom took it and loved it. Good luck Denver and I do hope the Celebrex gives you some relief.

Bill

scroca 11-13-11 07:35 PM

Have you consulted a chiropractor? Sometimes they can find a spot that is weak and/or tight that's causing the problem and work it as well as recommending stretches for you to do on your own to take care of the problem at it's source.

Emma4141 03-12-12 07:17 AM

I can recommend a reputable pharmacy (Celebrex) -http://www.canada-pharmacy-24h.com I received the order and it was on time and the pills work great.

bigbadwullf 03-12-12 07:48 AM

Celebrex doesn't do much for me. Ibuprofen is a wonder drug for me.

DnvrFox 03-12-12 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by bigbadwullf (Post 13961205)
Celebrex doesn't do much for me. Ibuprofen is a wonder drug for me.

As I am on a full aspirin per day (325) therapy, Vitamin I is out.

I just reordered Celebrex through my health insurance co's mail order at considerably less cost.

It is helping me quite a bit.

Thanks

NOS88 03-12-12 12:04 PM

Denver, I used Celebrex for a short time. It was fine for the first several weeks. Then suddenly I started having allergic reactions to it - difficulty breathing and problems swallowing. My MD says they've seen a handful of cases where allergic reactions don't show up at first, but occur after the drug has been used steadily for a period of time.

DnvrFox 03-12-12 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 13962357)
Denver, I used Celebrex for a short time. It was fine for the first several weeks. Then suddenly I started having allergic reactions to it - difficulty breathing and problems swallowing. My MD says they've seen a handful of cases where allergic reactions don't show up at first, but occur after the drug has been used steadily for a period of time.

Thanks

I have been on it fo a couple of months now with no ill effects that I know of, but will keep alert. I appreciate the heads up.

Terex 03-12-12 07:08 PM

My wife says maybe Naproxen instead of Celebrex, but ask your cardiologist. And afib is never really "cured". That's the reason you're on aspirin.

DnvrFox 03-12-12 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Terex (Post 13964126)
My wife says maybe Naproxen instead of Celebrex, but ask your cardiologist. And afib is never really "cured". That's the reason you're on aspirin.

Numerous internet references indicate that naproxen and aspirin don't mix well.

Here is one of many:

http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactio...1690-2613.html

Terex 03-12-12 08:28 PM

It's complicated. That's why you need to consult your cardiologist. Aspirin and naproxen do compete for same receptors. But the number of studies ("Numerous internet references...") is more a reflection of profitability of certain drugs than actual, medical interest/benefit.

If you trust easily available internet results over that of a trusted physician, you're not doing yourself any favors. If you're trained to review medical studies, and can effectively use data bases like MEDLINE/PubMed (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/bsd/pmresources.html), then you may have the tools to deal with the issues yourself, to a degree. This ain't like buying a yard tractor.