My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Public Bike-Sharing

New York May Become Newest Bike-Sharing Mecca

Looks like there are still some funding obstacles to clear, but NYC is trying to put 10,000 rental bikes in place.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Endura, 1977 Peugeot A08, 1973 Mercier 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen that in Montreal and Paris, you buy some kind of card, then its like a small fee to unlock one to use.

Warning:Annoying to jerks RaleighSport's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Raleigh Team Technium, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very neat! I wonder if it will get used properly?
    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Emerson in His Journals

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Bike-share program in Hangzhou China is the worlds largest with 2000 service points and 50,000 bikes;

http://www.universalsubtitles.org/en.../xwp1xmWSCu7S/
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-15-11 at 05:31 AM.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like it was just a few years ago (more like fifteen, but who's counting) that any proposal for public bike sharing programs was laughed at. It's nice to see a change in the right direction.

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capital BikeShare in DC has been a great success. I see the ride bikes all over town.
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

Commuter
    My Bikes
    Kona Blast Deluxe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brisbane, Qld Australia has a similar scheme. Very unpopular with the cycling hating bogans. One point to make though is that in Australia it’s mandatory to wear a bike helmet and that includes this scheme. Interesting side story. One time I was on my push bike at the lights when someone yelled “you should be wearing a helmet”. I was about to fire off a smart arts comment when I noted that the bonnet of the car was white (same colour as our cops) and held back long enough to note that the advice came from a copper. So I replied that my car had broken down and I had borrowed my mates bike to get money to pay for it to be towed (lies make baby Jesus cry ). Yeah I’m hardcore anarchist

EDIT TO ADD

Link to Brisbanes Bike hire scheme

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traff...ycle/index.htm

Brisbanes former Lord Mayor was a cyclist
    Last edited by frozen fork; 11-15-11 at 02:40 AM. Reason: To add link
    Commuting to work on my 2008 Gold Kona Blast Deluxe Hardtail

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting one "rents" automobiles but "shares" bicycles.

The bike "sharing" schemes I remember laughing at were the "yellow bike" projects.
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Boston, the bikeshare program is called "Hubway". The New Balance shoe company put up a lot of the money. Thus far, it is considered an enormous success.
    official website.

I have not tried one of the bikes yet. I am told that they are heavy, but well made and well suited for their intended purpose. It IS seasonal in Boston though. Any week now, the system will be closed. The bikes will be collected and the stations will be secured for the winter months. Not sure when this will happen.

Heh, it's interesting, but Richard Ballantine wrote about this being a dream of his, back in the 70s in his original, "Richard's Bicycle Book". His dream is being realized, almost forty years later.

We must be doing something right. Back in the 70s, when I biked to Kenmore square, I would never have thought this was possible at all.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimF22003 View Post
    Capital BikeShare in DC has been a great success. I see the ride bikes all over town.
    It's addictive. When I went to last year's Bike Summit, I got a card. Used it afterwards for rambling around. Ended up spending $26.00 on rides over 3 days.

The ride was rough, the aluminum frame is very stiff so you really feel the potholes, but what a great way to get from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial and then around by the MLK, FDR and Jefferson monuments.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have it in Toronto for the first time this year. I have bikes so I have no need of it, but there must be a lot of people who do use it. Are there any people here, regular cyclists, who have a bike but still find ride-share useful in their home city? I can only see using it in a vacation city.