Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need a different bike as I'm maxing out the capabilities of the one I ride

I'm really maxing out the abilities of the bike I have and really want something more capable. I ride 23 miles/day, 5 to 6 days a week, usually 6 and avg between 16 to 17mph overall for the 23 miles(usually around 16.5)--if I get a bike that I can go faster on, I'll likely increase my mileage to 25 or more. Not sure if I should go to the hybrid that is more road like, i.e. Giant Rapid series, or go full on road. The hybrids I tried were the Giant Rapid 3 and the Specialized Sirrus(I believe). Even though the Rapid only had 8 cogs on the rear crankset and the Sirrus had 9, the Rapid was lighter, and seemed faster and smoother in the gearing. The Rapid had 700c x 28 tires whereas the Sirrus used 32s. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/rapid.3/7298/44052/

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=52890&eid=6066&menuItemId=0

Now, if I had the LBS get a Rapid 2 or higher spec Specialized, I start to approach Road bike pricing. Also, Road bikes have more hand positions than the flat bar bikes(even if you do have bar ends). I test rode the Giant Defy 1 and the Specialized Allez. The Allez has a much more aggressive riding position(more like racing). I liked the Defy 1, but the price $13XX.00 is daunting. If I dropped down in component level the price hovers around 1170. The Allez was 830, (the aggressive riding position didn't appeal to me).

The bike I'm really leaning towards is the Giant Defy 1(2011): http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/defy.2/7307/44048/
    I'm thinking road as I there are greater number of hand positions, hoods, flats, drops, than with a fitness, flat-bar, bike, and remember, if I upgrade the components on the Giant Rapid, it's starts to get closer to the cost of a roadie. The Defy 1, $1370, has shimano 105s whereas the Defy 2, $1160 has Shimano Tiagra(the 2012 Defy 2 is 10 speed cassette whereas the 2011 Defy 2 is a 9 speed cassette). The Defy 1 that I test rode is a 2011 model...only difference in '11 and '12 Defy 1 models is color scheme from every thing I can tell.

I also tried a Canonndale Cad8 and a Specialized Sectaur...I still like the Defy better...the Sectaur comes in second.

Defy 1 2012 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/defy/9014/48853/

Defy 2 2011 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/defy.2/7307/44048/

Defy 2 2012 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....2/9014/48854/
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 11-15-11 at 01:57 PM. Reason: fixing links

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the road bike.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you need is a bit more fun. I was riding the same milage and speed as you on this -until November came along...
    You should be looking at a mini velo. Here's a cheap one http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/nano.htm
    Its not how many miles you've ridden but how long you kept the fun meter pegged!

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teachme View Post
    Get the road bike.
    +1 road bike.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Road bike. Flat handlebars are uncomfortable for longer distances.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The economy needs you to buy the most expensive bike you can afford. Whatever you buy you will enjoy the heck out of it for a while, and then you will find yourself looking for n+1. It's an incurable disease with many up sides. Enjoy the new ride, then enjoy some nostalgic rides on the old machine.

My Bikes
    2013 Scott CR1 Pro carbon, 2013 Brompton S6L-X titanium, 2013 Citizen Tokyo steel
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like it's time for a roadbike

My Bikes
    Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't like the aggressive position, set the handlebars higher to be more comfortable. You don't have ride like you're racing.

Marc
    Read Simply Cycle

"I can still do everything I used to, but now I'm mature enough to take a nap without being told." - Me

"You don't deteriorate from age,you age from deterioration" --Joe Weider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the road bike-- and remember, you don't have to ride the drops-- the hoods and the flat part next to the stem are great hand positions that don't give you that aggressive feel you are dreading. Either that, or go to a fixed gear

train safe

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's decided - road bike.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Road Bike. With that kind of dedicated riding schedule, there's no other choice.

You're going to LOVE it.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Road bikes rule.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ladies and Gentlemen, we are witnessing a classic case of N+1 Syndrome.

(psssst! Roadbike)

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ROAD BIKE.

PS I have yet to max out my current bike. My best so far is a no-draft 2-hr half century. Yeah, it's a 'bent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP, a few observations.

1. You don't (iirc) specify what you are riding now. Consequently, it is difficult for anyone here to give you specific, pertinent advice given your stated intentions (e.g. will a "road bike" make that much difference?).

2. You've chosen an excellent comparison. The Giant Defy and Rapid series are both "road bikes". The Rapid is not a 'hybrid' by any rational definition; rather, it is (literally) a flat-barred version of the Defy: same frame geometry (excepting a slightly longer top tube for a given size), frame material/construction and comparable components etc. at the various price levels.

3. As I said above, the Rapid is every bit as much a "road bike" as a Defy (or a Cervelo, blah blah). Flat or drop bars are not, in my view, determinative. The question as to which you prefer (bar type) is one you, and only you can decide. Why?

4. ... because it is simply nonsense to assert (as many do) that 'flat-bars are inherently uncomfortable over long distances' etc. blah blah. For some, and perhaps for you, they are; in that case, drop bars are for you. For some, me for example and many other cyclists, many of whom are ultra-long distance tourers and/or racers (e.g. several 'round the world' record setters), they most definitely are not.

I have twice purchased, and been able to return (great LBS!) drop-bar bikes. I just don't 'get on' with drop bars -- and yes, both bikes were professionally 'fit' to me. I ride a 2010 Spec Sirrus Comp, with flat bars/bar ends and Ergon grips. I ride 'road', I regularly do rides of 40 to 50 miles, and have done a couple of 'century rides' on this bike.

I don't like, and don't want, 'drops', but my point is that is just me. I've yet to find flat bars 'uncomfortable' over distance rides.You may prefer drops or not, but my only advice is go with your real preference, rather than what you think you "should" have and/or what the cumulative wisdom of the InterWebs dictates.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @buelito
    Oh, I know about the drops. When I was in college, I rode a road bike, 10 speed steel bike--rarely used the drops. The Allez had an aggressive position even on the flats and horns.

Thanks for the input everyone. I've just been waffling between the Defy 1 and Defy 2--who am I kidding, 90% it'll be the Defy 1; it has the better components.

@badger,
    I hear you. BTW, right now I ride a Diamondback Edgewood LX, a hybrid/comfort. I may take another test ride of the Rapid and the Defy just to have more recent comparison.
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 11-15-11 at 07:17 PM.

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    @buelito

Thanks for the input everyone. I've just been waffling between the Defy 1 and Defy 2--who am I kidding, 90% it'll be the Defy 1; it has the better components.
    Excellent choice. You'll be very happy with that bike.
    Now, on to the next decision: Pedals. Are you clipless yet and if not, how much convincing do you need to try them?

My Bikes
    Catbike 2010 / Bachetta - Café / Raleigh M80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For comfort, you have to consider a bent. My musashi took me for a 20 mile ride on Sunday. No pain, just fun. Good luck with your decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    ROAD BIKE.

PS I have yet to max out my current bike. My best so far is a no-draft 2-hr half century. Yeah, it's a 'bent.
    Peace & Long Life

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have truly narrowed down the choice between a Defy 1 and a Rapid 3, my vote goes to the Defy. Not because of the straight bar vs drop bar battle, but because the components are much better between the two bikes you are looking at. Of course if you find that you do prefer the straight bar over the drop bar, you can go to the Rapid 1 and get better components. I have been contemplating on selling my Cypress and getting a Rapid 3 because of the decrease in weight between the two bikes. That would give me a drop bar and a flat bar bike that would be able to handle long distance rides.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    I'm really maxing out the abilities of the bike I have and really want something more capable. I ride 23 miles/day, 5 to 6 days a week, usually 6 and avg between 16 to 17mph overall for the 23 miles(usually around 16.5)--if I get a bike that I can go faster on, I'll likely increase my mileage to 25 or more.
    Are you truly maxing your bike or are you maxing yourself? A mountain bike with a 44-11 top gear and 26x2 tyres will get to speeds higher than that without even using the highest gears.

When I bought a cross bike to go alongside my mountain bike I expected it to be much faster. It is faster going up hills, and I can get up to speed faster, but my overall cruising speeds aren't as much faster than the mountain bike as I expected. The simple reason for that is that I'm still using the same engine as before and so both bikes have the exact same shortcoming, they both need an engine upgrade.

If you're wanting a new bike obviously that's your call but sometimes you can get a lot of extra mileage out of an existing bike by just changing a couple of components.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of truth to what Contango has said. I changed the crankset on my mountain bike to a 28-38-48 and the cassette to a 13-34 and I can't outperform it now. When it was a 24/34/44 with a 14-34 cassette I wore out the big ring on the front and little one on the back.

Have you looked at the X-cross bikes? A Giant TCX1 is SRAM Rival.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....1/9022/48877/

If you are going to have a 2 bike garage then get a road bike. Ride as many as the LBs's will allow and then go back for a second or 3rd round before making a decision.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by contango View Post
    Are you truly maxing your bike or are you maxing yourself? A mountain bike with a 44-11 top gear and 26x2 tyres will get to speeds higher than that without even using the highest gears.
    I think you've got it backwards. The hold-up right now is that his current bike isn't designed for the speeds he wants. 'Upgrading the engine' isn't always the answer. Putting huge gears on a barge only makes it go faster if you've got the wattage to burn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get something you won't max out like a Specialized Tarmac SL4. That will work until the SL5 comes out. lol
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    2010 TerraTrike Rover 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about a recumbent trike Comfortable, and you'll get more exercise on it (3 wheels, a bit slower, heavier/ more of a work-out)?

Is the point simply to get more speed, or to build up, or more comfort? What I got from your post is you want more speed. But, is that actually what you are looking for? By really defining what you want to get from the next ride, you'll be able to answer your own question. Of course a trike isn't on your list, but do you know why it isn't?
    Peter_C
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/ <-- My Photos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast