Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 11-15-11, 11:42 PM   #1
Mobile 155

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
The pain of change

I just got John Howard’s book “Mastering Cycling” and have been reading it for a few days. I got a chance to meet John at this year’s Furnace Creek 508 and having seen his accomplishments decided he might be worth listening to if I wanted to take my riding up a notch. Some of his stretching exercises and weight training may take some getting used to but it will be worth a try.

The section on bike fit was interesting because it duplicated what my professional bike fitter suggested. I was skeptical but I decided to give the suggestions and settings a try. True to what John said setting my bike up and engaging the gluteus muscles more by pointing my toes on the down stroke seemed to give me more power.

However at the end of a rather fast 40 miler with a few rollers and a few sprints I got home and after my shower I had a whole new set of muscles that were sore. My upper core felt more relaxed but my legs were pumped from the waist down.

I realize that over the long run using more muscle groups will make longer rides easier and help with climbing but for now change is painful.
Mobile 155 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-11, 03:50 AM   #2
bruce19

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Thanks for the head's up. I will check it out for sure.
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-11, 09:03 AM   #3
Looigi

Bikes:
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
No pain, no gain.
Looigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-11, 10:00 AM   #4
AzTallRider 
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"If you're not sore, you're losing the war"
Old 11-16-11, 10:22 AM   #5
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Word of warning: pointing the toes feels more powerful, but it causes more stress on the Achilles tendon. An Achilles injury will set your training BACK.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-11, 07:56 PM   #6
Mobile 155

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
Word of warning: pointing the toes feels more powerful, but it causes more stress on the Achilles tendon. An Achilles injury will set your training BACK.
I think that may be why he is such a fanatic about stretching and high impact or weight training. He seems to consider flat pedaling or heel drop pedaling lifeless, his words, a problem that keeps you from engaging the lower leg muscles as quickly on the pull stroke. The toe pointing takes place just as you get ready to bottom out. Today I was a lot less sore than Monday. But I will keep an eye out for tendon pain. I know what that feels like.
Mobile 155 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-11, 09:51 AM   #7
bigbadwullf

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
Don't you mean 'dropping your heel' puts more strain on the Achilles? How can pointing your toes put more strain on the Achilles?
bigbadwullf is offline   Reply With Quote