Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

End of a Giant

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

End of a Giant

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-17, 10:32 AM

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
End of a Giant

I was out for a nice pre-Easter ride yesterday and noticed a whirring noise from the rear derailleur. Should have stopped right away, but was one hill climb from home. Full power on, and the derailleur bracket snapped, sending the derailleur between the cog and the chain stay. The chain stay is cracked, and may very well be toast (see pic).

Looks like a very expensive lesson in maintenance 101. It must have been slightly out of alignment from the dog incident in Nov., and I didn't properly check it.

It was a great bike, I rode the heck out of it, and it died a noble death if it can't be repaired.

I ordered a 2018 Roubaix Pro today, which won't roll out until August.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (20.9 KB, 348 views)
Old 04-17-17, 10:44 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
It's probably repairable. I found an outfit herein SoCal that replaced my non-replaceable derailleur hanger (which necessitated cutting off portions of the seat/chainstays for about $150.

Fix it, and you'll have two bikes.

Old 04-17-17, 11:34 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Yeah, that chainstay is a goner. But the good news is that a chainstay is probably the easiest tube to fix. Looks like a carbon fiber frame, so you may want to contact Calfee for repair options.

https://calfeedesign.com/repair/
Old 04-17-17, 11:35 AM

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

I left it at the shop and someone is coming to look at it this week. I understand most of the top notch repairs seem to be in CA. I'm not looking for cosmetic perfect, just structurally sound, if it can be fixed.
Old 04-17-17, 11:44 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Yeah, that chainstay is a goner. But the good news is that a chainstay is probably the easiest tube to fix. Looks like a carbon fiber frame, so you may want to contact Calfee for repair options.

https://calfeedesign.com/repair/
Shop around.

To fix my bike, Calfee wanted:

1. $800
2. Shipping both ways (another $200 minimum)
3. Disassemble the bike to the bare frame (even the fork).

Seemed a little expensive, so I kept looking. I finally relented and called back. They now wanted something more:

4. Another $80 for the derailleur hanger.

Since I had already purchased the derailleur hanger from Scott myself ($10), this was the last straw.

I found a spot locally that did the whole thing for $150, and did whatever disassembly was required (not much ... basically the front and back wheels. They make custom carbon bikes, and did a great job.

These guys are in SoCal. If you want to give them a try (and you're willing to ship your bike), PM me and I'll tell ya who they were.

Old 04-17-17, 01:10 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
People like to say that steel is repairable and carbon is break-and-toss. But carbon is very easy to fix if you have a minimal amount of equipment and don't care what the repair looks like. Like with steel, it's only if you want the repair to look nice that skill becomes an issue. I could totally do that if it were my own bike. Not something I'd want to do for someone else though. And my repair would be UGLY.
Old 04-17-17, 02:22 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Try Frame Doctor in Tavares. They do exceptional work and you can drive there from Gainsville. A friend used them for a busted seat stay on a carbon Cannondale and you can't tell it was ever broken. It's been at least a year since he had it fixed and has been riding it since then with no issues. Of course, buying a new bike works too.
Old 04-17-17, 05:33 PM

Well, now another issue. The rear derailleur probably needs to be replaced as well, along with the bracket. Apparently Shimano didn't make the Di2 6770 (10 speed) for very long, and they're getting hard to find. Used ones on e-bay going for upwards of $300. But not giving up just yet.

John, thanks for the suggestion, let me see how I make out here in VA first (this is my BlueRidge home bike).
Old 04-17-17, 06:47 PM

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Elite DSW

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wthensler
Well, now another issue. The rear derailleur probably needs to be replaced as well, along with the bracket. Apparently Shimano didn't make the Di2 6770 (10 speed) for very long, and they're getting hard to find. Used ones on e-bay going for upwards of $300. But not giving up just yet.

John, thanks for the suggestion, let me see how I make out here in VA first (this is my BlueRidge home bike).
You are not far from me here in VA. I'm west of you over in the the Alleghenys, in Highland County. Good luck with your repair- but the speed with which you pulled the trigger on the new bike, makes me think you are over it
Old 04-18-17, 06:49 AM

To be honest, the Giant no longer suits my riding style. It is more aggressive, sits lower, is 'twitchier' with its shorter wheelbase, and therefore commands far more respect when riding on its narrow 23mm tires. It's been a great bike, but I came to the conclusion, even before this happened, that an endurance bike is more my style now.

I would still like to salvage it, assuming it's not completely unreasonable, as I keep it up in VA and use it in the Mtns.

I'm a little disappointed in Shimano. I buy two new bikes in 2012 with the latest Di2 technology and now I can't even buy replacements less than 5 years later?? Thanks guys!

If anyone knows of an Ultegra Di2 6770 rear derailleur, please PM me. Right now that seems to be the deal breaker, assuming a fix is possible for the frame.
Old 04-18-17, 10:57 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
To be honest, the Giant no longer suits my riding style. It is more aggressive, sits lower, is 'twitchier' with its shorter wheelbase, and therefore commands far more respect when riding on its narrow 23mm tires. It's been a great bike, but I came to the conclusion, even before this happened, that an endurance bike is more my style now.

I would still like to salvage it, assuming it's not completely unreasonable, as I keep it up in VA and use it in the Mtns.

I'm a little disappointed in Shimano. I buy two new bikes in 2012 with the latest Di2 technology and now I can't even buy replacements less than 5 years later?? Thanks guys!

If anyone knows of an Ultegra Di2 6770 rear derailleur, please PM me. Right now that seems to be the deal breaker, assuming a fix is possible for the frame.
It's why my 2012 and my 2017 Colnagos have manual shifting. Di2 technology is nice and it's a definite plus riding hills and mountain roads but as soon as they get replaced with a newer version, the old version seems to go by the wayside. There's still too many 10 speed manual bikes out there to where I don't think I'll have problems finding parts for the 2012.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 04-24-17, 01:56 PM
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I left it at the shop and someone is coming to look at it this week. I understand most of the top notch repairs seem to be in CA. I'm not looking for cosmetic perfect, just structurally sound, if it can be fixed.
I have a friend who lost his beloved carbon Madone to an impact with a concrete parking structure (it was on a roof rack). He's here in CA, but I can't recall who did the repair, just that it wasn't Calfee, and I can't recall what he paid, either. I can ask if necessary.

Anyway, he's back on that bike. Externally, you can't even tell it was ever broken. Beautiful work, and so far as I know, as good as it ever was.
Old 04-26-17, 06:13 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Don't give up on fixing that Its chain stay, as John D said, its about the easiest tube to replace or repair. Calfee my be the big name, they do some good work, but they aren't the only place for good work on CF. I'm hoping your shops visiting expert can work out a suitable plan for your ridge runner. Although, ordering that '18 Roubaix Pro sounds very tasty, what component are you getting on it?

I have seem a few reasonably priced Di2 first generation RD on eBay at decent price, and you should watch for one on the various websites and forums too. If I see one in my eBay surfing sessions I'll send you a link to it. Best wishes with the fixes and on that new Roubaix. A full report on it, with plentiful pictures is of course mandatory.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-26-17, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Don't give up on fixing that Its chain stay, as John D said, its about the easiest tube to replace or repair. Calfee my be the big name, they do some good work, but they aren't the only place for good work on CF. I'm hoping your shops visiting expert can work out a suitable plan for your ridge runner. Although, ordering that '18 Roubaix Pro sounds very tasty, what component are you getting on it?

I have seem a few reasonably priced Di2 first generation RD on eBay at decent price, and you should watch for one on the various websites and forums too. If I see one in my eBay surfing sessions I'll send you a link to it. Best wishes with the fixes and on that new Roubaix. A full report on it, with plentiful pictures is of course mandatory.

Bill
Hey Bill,

I haven't given up on the Giant completely just yet, but am resigned to a new bike anyway, even if it's N+1 or 2. Luckily, I found the last 6770 Di2 rear derailleur from Performance Bike, and since my Domane also has the same one, figure it's good insurance anyway as I plan on keeping it.

The Roubaix Pro comes stock with Carbon Factory 11 frame, CF cranks, and CF wheel set. It won't be here until mid-late August, and if the Experts arrive in May, I may opt for it instead, we'll see. The Roubaix is very close to the Domane 58cm in all dimensions, and I ordered the chameleon blue.
Old 04-26-17, 07:43 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
The new Roubaix, at either level, sounds like a great upgrade. The GT frame and components will come in handy also. Sorry about the damage to your old friend, and when the Roubaix arrives you have to let us know about everything.

All the reports I have read on the frameset hava been saying that Specialized has a truly innovative piece of engineering in the design of both compliance points.

Try to have patience, (I wish I had it myself) the new ride should be a real winner.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13