Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help!

Does anyone have experience with cycling while having a foley catheter? I was diagnosed with Neurogenic bladder about 8 months ago and have been wearing a foley catheter since, but would like to return to cycling on my road or mountain bike. Does anyone know of a saddle that can be used so I can ride an upright bicycle with a foley catheter? I'm not sure if the foley will ever be removed (some urologists say maybe, some say no and have encouraged me to join the catheter club), but I'm unable to tolerate self-catheterization every few hours (to me it'd be like getting used to having my foot stepped on every few hours)...

Any help would be greatly appreciated - by the way, the urologist said last week that I can ride a recumbent, but they are expensive and with two other bicycles I'm hoping to find a solution so I can ride them, instead...

Thanks!

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow. My first, second, and third thoughts on this is to get a trike such as a Catrike. The potential for bladder damage if you have an indwelling catheter if you topple over and get the tubing tangled is high enough that I don't like to think about it

If cost is an issue, I would check out Ebay or Craiglist. Sometimes you can get lucky and score a bargain.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glades2-Can't you just use a catheter plug for the duration of the ride? That would make it a lot easier to "tuck" out of the way. On a longer ride you could just stop when nec..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the above wont work I think one should secure the leg bag to the OUTside of ones leg to minimize the possiblity of damaging it from contact with the bike and assorted parts. Good luck and keep riding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't give you anything but sympathy. I had a Foley through August and most of September, and I can't imagine riding with it. The idea of self-cath gives me the screaming creeps, but I think I'd try to get used to it. They were suggesting that for me, but fortunately I've regained pretty good control, and every MdDonalds in America has a clean bathroom

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a new forum on disabilities

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...nd-Other-Needs

Many folks riding a handicapped bike will be using a catheter of some sort along with a leg bag. If it is going to be "forever" you might consider a catheter inserted directly into the bladder through the skin. Many folks with spinal cord injuries use these.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thanks to all for your replies - after checking with the urologist I found and ordered this saddle:

http://www.nexride.com

it's made for cyclists by cyclists, and have seen it used on club rides...

Today's my 8-month "anniversary" - forgive me if I don't wear a party hat (lol - not)...

Frank