Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Road vs Mountain in Naples Florida

I am heading to Naples Florida for 6 weeks this winter. I really only want to haul one bike there. Which would be better mountain or road? I love both.

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are staying on pavement, the road bike. If not, the mtb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not real familiar with riding in Naples, but there is a great ride along Ft. Myers Beach and Bonita Beach that I've done several times. I don't do mtb, because I don't think falling down is fun, so I suggest the road ride. Great time of year of cycling there. Also, the ride from Ft. Myers over the bridge out through Sanibel Island is a good one.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Florida and I reckon you will have trouble to find MUD- even in the cooler months. An MTB will go on or offroad- the Road bike will be limited.

Just a suggestion and Fit Semi-Slicks to the MTB. They will work on most surfaces offroad-except mud- and will give less drag on asphalt.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mountain and Naples, Florida don't go well together in a single sentence. Do you have a swamp bike or a jungle bike?
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you want to ride in the Everglades, I would suggest bringing the road bike. There are a lot of nice places to ride in that area. If you get a chance, go to Myatka State Park (between Ft. Myers and Sarasota) and ride the trail there. The trail is all paved and it's about 7 miles long (15 miles round trip), but the wildlife there is fantastic. There are also plenty of paved roads that take you into the Glades that make up for some nice rides. I have only ridden in that area once, but it was a very nice weekend of riding.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem w/ riding in some parts of Florida is the drivers. Pedestrian and cyclist injury and fatality rates tend to be higher than in other states, although perhaps comparable to the rest of the south.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    Unless you want to ride in the Everglades, I would suggest bringing the road bike. There are a lot of nice places to ride in that area. If you get a chance, go to Myatka State Park (between Ft. Myers and Sarasota) and ride the trail there. The trail is all paved and it's about 7 miles long (15 miles round trip), but the wildlife there is fantastic. There are also plenty of paved roads that take you into the Glades that make up for some nice rides. I have only ridden in that area once, but it was a very nice weekend of riding.
    ^^^^^This.
    I'm only a once-a-year visitor (in February) to Naples, but the area really is principally 'road'. There is some very nice riding indeed; as above, and also (if you are staying in/right near Naples itself) up/down Gulfshore and beyond. You'll find groups hammering that (Gulfshore) route every a.m. weekdays and on weekends.
    I'll second John E's advice as well: your rule should be 'heads up' re. drivers! Certainly true in Naples and surrounds; be prepared for lots of erratic driving if you are in/around the city.

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Endura, 1977 Peugeot A08, 1973 Mercier 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the old people driving off road or on pavement? do the opposite!

the Bayou City perpetually under construction
    My Bikes
    2001 DBR Axis TT, 1998 Trek 5500 OCLV, 1993 Trek 1100, 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1972 Gitane Attic Beater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take which ever one is closer to a beach cruiser.
    "If we don't change direction, we will end up exactly where we are headed."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stonefree makes a good point. The beach off Naples is really beautiful (the winter sunsets over the gulf are really great) and several miles on a beach cruiser would be a good workout.

My Bikes
    1980 Motobecane Grand Jubilee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No mountains in S.Fl so bring the road bike. Off road will most likely be in VERY loose sand (also known as sugar sand), unless you're bringing one of these forget it.

Last edited by Kingshead; 11-20-11 at 10:11 PM.
    http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/a...ikeforum-1.jpg
    1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile'

Welcome to the horde!
    Martin

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Erlenbach View Post
    stonefree makes a good point. The beach off Naples is really beautiful (the winter sunsets over the gulf are really great) and several miles on a beach cruiser would be a good workout.
    You are absolutely correct, pushing a bike through miles of sugar sand will give you one hell of a workout. LOL

Lived in Fl. for 36yrs and there are a few beaches with sand hard enough to ride on but bikes are usually not allowed, unless you're either a lifeguard or police officer.
    Last edited by Kingshead; 11-20-11 at 10:17 PM.

Welcome to the horde!
    Martin

My Bikes
    '79 Schwinn Varsity
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are a few options for a mountain bike.....you may want to consider going around Lake Okeechobee.....a very beautiful ride, but definitely a mtn bike ride.

If you come up to Ft Myers, there is a park off SR78 about 2 miles east of the SR78, US31 intersection

this is a more comprehensive listing:

http://www.single-serving.com/USA/FL/trail.php

should you decide to ride Sanibel & Captiva, You will need to go very slow thru Ding Darling Reserve on a road bike......keep your eye out....you may come across one of my kidneys. The rest of Sanibel & Captiva is perfect for a road bike...

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You definitely do not need a mountain to enjoy a mountain bike. There must be some good singletrack somewhere in Florida because when riders from there compete in the XC races around here, they do very well.

http://www.goneriding.com/
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 11-22-11 at 06:30 PM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    You definitely do not need a mountain to enjoy a mountain bike. There must be some good singletrack somewhere in Florida because when riders from there compete in the XC races around here, they do very well.

http://www.goneriding.com/
    Northern Fl. for sure, but few and far between down south. It's either swamp, mangrove infested, or sugar sand for the most part. There are some areas where you could find great trails but most are private property. If on the east coast near Tequesta, try Johnathan Dickinson State Park. Camping with mega trails that should work and canoeing with the Gators if that interests you. Spent many a day there playing hooky from highschool exploring and enjoying some canoe tag.

Welcome to the horde!
    Martin