Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which do you like better the Strava or Garmin Connect?

Here is my ride today, flat tire and all both with Garmin and Strava.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/133571858
    With the strava you need to hunt a bit for all the info.
    http://app.strava.com/rides/2636949
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still using Garmin Connect. However, the one thing I like about Strava is that it documents grade which Garmin Connect neglects. I just might try Strava and see how I like it.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I didn't know anything about Strava. I'm going to use it for awhile because it looks like it will be easy to merge my iPhone and Garmin rides.

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Strava to see where I ride, but I use the data from my Cycleops Joule 2.0 (Powertap) using PowerAgent to analyze my ride.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had not heard about Strava before. Thanks for the link. I'm going to try it out.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Anyway, looking at your route and pulling it up on Google Earth, there is nowhere in the region here where you can ride 20 miles in a flat straight line. It must be difficult to maintain one's focus at times.
    Last edited by Dudelsack; 12-10-11 at 09:32 AM.

My Bikes
    Soma Stanyan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Garmin 305 that works well for me and up load to Garmin Connect but ussually just log miles and rides into a spiral notebook. Kinda old school I know, I keep track of miles, time and where I ride on the weekends, what the weather was like etc. During the week I ride back and forth to work 25 miles round trip with one climb each way. On the weekends I ride with friends in Marin. I like my note book I can review my notes at a glance and add up my miles at the end of the month.
    To me the life is a glass half full, I love optimism, life's better that way.
    Riding the streets of San Francisco, the roads of West Marin and Northern California...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony2v View Post
    I use Strava to see where I ride, but I use the data from my Cycleops Joule 2.0 (Powertap) using PowerAgent to analyze my ride.
    I used to have a machine that analyzed my rides, too, but every time it said 'You're slow and you suck' so I sold the thing on EBay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually since other than navigation I only use GPS data for motivation and work level monitoring I prefer Garmin Training Center for record keeping. I use MapMyRide or RidewithGPS or Google for online route making. But, given the current pathetic performance by Garmin Tech Support I may drop the Training Center too.

In fact, if there was a comparable product on the market I'd drop Garmin altogether. (No I don't consider smartphone apps comparable)
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    I didn't know anything about Strava. I'm going to use it for awhile because it looks like it will be easy to merge my iPhone and Garmin rides.
    About the same here but I'll be using my Android to upload some rides.

I also saw where Strava allowed for multiple bikes and I've never been able to find that feature on the current Garmin Connect. I think it was on one of the older versions but seems to have been lost in one of their upgrades
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Ascent on my Mac but also use Garmin Connect occasionally. I can't seem to get in to Strava.
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
    I use Ascent on my Mac but also use Garmin Connect occasionally. I can't seem to get in to Strava.
    I am also on a Mac, what trouble are you having?

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Cannonade Hybrid

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Philipaparker View Post
    I have a Garmin 305 that works well for me and up load to Garmin Connect but ussually just log miles and rides into a spiral notebook. Kinda old school I know, I keep track of miles, time and where I ride on the weekends, what the weather was like etc. During the week I ride back and forth to work 25 miles round trip with one climb each way. On the weekends I ride with friends in Marin. I like my note book I can review my notes at a glance and add up my miles at the end of the month.
    It's good to see someone out there still uses their head. I have been letting the computer do my work for so long now... On line banking and letting Training Peaks, then Garmin Connect, now Strava, keep my records, I have forgotten how to add and subtract.

Now ridding a
    Cannonade Hybrid

In God we trust

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    I am also on a Mac, what trouble are you having?
    I'm sorry, poor wording on my part. I can use Strada fine. I meant that I can't get excited about it.
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Today I used Strava, a Garmin 305, and my Sigma computer. Strava has the easiest upload feature of anything I've used.

Strava announced that I had soared into 5th place of all registered riders on the Poplar Lane segment. I was pretty amped until I learned I was 5th out of 5 and my speed was 30% slower than the next slowest.

Still, I thought it was pretty cool.

Strava also ate my iPhone 3 battery alive.

My Bikes
    (See sig block)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthib View Post
    +1
    2011 Masi Speciale Randonneur
    2009 Trek FX 7.3

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like ridewithgps.com for planning routes. I upload a few of my GPS recordings there, too. I can hover over the elevation chart at the bottom, and see the speed, grade, and heartrate at that point in the ride.

ridewithgps has this interesting "Time spent at each speed" graph.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I have the free "My Tourbook" loaded on my PC, and I import all my GPS recordings to it. It adds up miles, time, elevation, etc, by ride, by month, and by year. The ride is displayed on the map, with the line color coded by speed or heartrate.

This is my normal display. Any panel can be set to full screen, and the map can be zoomed. Top left is the list of rides, including a ride name. At top right is the map, and the bottom shows grade in green, heart rate in red, and speed in blue.

Part of the chart:

A route color coded by speed. Each dot is a GPS recorded waypoint. (They merge together at slower speeds)
    Last edited by rm -rf; 12-17-11 at 09:33 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^^Thats pretty cool^^

I like Strava, but I'm already tired of the Leaderboard function. I might like it better if I wasn't DFL all the time.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strava is all about that social interaction. I have a few friends who use it, so I've started uploading to Strava in addition to Training Peaks, WKO+ and Golden Cheetah. I use those 3 for ride analysis, and I use ridewithgps to plan routes. I get Strava email letting me know about friends rides. You "follow" other riders like you do on Twitter. One nice thing about Strava is that, if you use their smart phone app, when you end the ride it automatically uploads the ride to the website. But since the phone doesn't get my HR and power info, that isn't there if I upload that way, so I just load the file of the rides I want on Strava. I haven't used it that much, so I set a lot of "personal records", LOL.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Strava too, but also use Connect, GTC, SportTracks3 (my favorite) and plan rides on RWGPS. (Data junkie = me)

But ever since I built a new Sandy Bridge computer, the Garmin USB drivers BSOD it when I connect my Edge 305... probably 8 out of 10 times. This is a big PITA. No problem with Win7/64 on the old Conroe system. Seven forums say the Garmin driver is not Win7/64 compatible. Garmin says it is. All I know is ... connect the 305 and instant BSOD. But that's the subject of another thread.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stopped uploading to Garmin Connect when they said I needed the current version of Windows Media Player to do so. Are you kidding me?
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."