Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First pair of bibs...

Bought my first pair of bibs and went for my first ride in them yesterday. Found a pair of Crafts on line. I really like em, very comfy and the pad is great! Popped em in the washer on gentle cycle hung em to dry. They are ready to go this morning! My evolution into cycling continues...
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bibs are great.
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to long after I got my road bike, I borrowed an LG bib from a friend of mine to try out before buying some and I just couldn't get used to the straps going over the shoulders. The bib was a medium, which is what I wear, so it wasn't too small because the bottom part fit just right. For whatever reason, they just kept tugging on my shoulders and were very uncomfortable. I spent the entire ride shrugging my shoulders trying to get them in a comfortable position but with no success. I also didn't like the shoulder straps rubbing across my chest every time I moved. I guess they aren't for everyone. I'll stick with my PI Attack shorts for now.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Bibs are great.
    +1 to that... on super hot days I may use shorts but 98% of the time it's bibs for me.

Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    Not to long after I got my road bike, I borrowed an LG bib from a friend of mine to try out before buying some and I just couldn't get used to the straps going over the shoulders. The bib was a medium, which is what I wear, so it wasn't too small because the bottom part fit just right. For whatever reason, they just kept tugging on my shoulders and were very uncomfortable. I spent the entire ride shrugging my shoulders trying to get them in a comfortable position but with no success. I also didn't like the shoulder straps rubbing across my chest every time I moved. I guess they aren't for everyone. I'll stick with my PI Attack shorts for now.
    This may well be due to a brand or size issue. I would not abandon bibs based on one experience with them.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    +1 to that... on super hot days I may use shorts but 98% of the time it's bibs for me.
    One if my bibs is mesh uppers.
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One if my bibs is mesh uppers.
    Good point.... I have some newer PI Elite bibs that seem to be just fine in the heat. They have mesh tops and fabric on the legs that is very good for cooling.

And... in coolish weather (we have a lot of that) the extra fabric on some of my bibs is really great for keeping the lower torso warm enough.
    Last edited by billydonn; 12-11-11 at 10:04 AM.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Fuji Cross Comp, 1996 Specialized HardRock
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Good point.... I have some newer PI Elite bibs that seem to be just fine in the heat. They have mesh tops and fabric on the legs that is very good for cooling.

And... in coolish weather (we have a lot of that) the extra fabric on some of my bibs is really great for keeping the lower torso warm enough.
    On cold days I like the fact that the rise on the back of the bibs is like a second base layer. But I am finally losing enough weight that shorts aren't so much of a problem, so I will probably have a mix as the bibs wear out.
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    . I guess they aren't for everyone. I'll stick with my PI Attack shorts for now.

Yeah you and me both. I've contemplated buying them over the years but I have no problem with the Voler shorts I wear most of the time. Besides, its hot down here in Florida most of the time and I need lots and lots of ventilation. The straps would be an issue to me as I usually just wear a cotton tank top or muscle shirt, something that doesnt 'cling' to me. Cycling jerseys just cost too much, and I'm a minimalist when it comes to clothes and bike riding.

but thats just me
    ~ "I like the way the brake cables come out of the top of the levers and loop around to the brake calipers!...I like those downtube shifters too!...No no no, don't take 'em off, don't take 'em off,...leave 'em on, leave 'em on! - Thats right baby!!

~BF - Steel Club Member #00051

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only issues I have with my bibs is when I'm off the bike. My voice goes up a it, if you know what I mean. Other wise, bibs are great.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Different brands seem to fit differently even in the same size. I have some nashbar bibs that seem tight, Same size Voler fits fine. Same size Giant bibs are loose. Specialized bibs fit tight in the straps and Pearl Zumi seem just right.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon, Litespeed Sirius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite bibs right now are Castelli Velossicimo. Great fit, great pad, not too thick, the lycra is soft and works great hot or cold.
    Any day is a good day for golf.

2008 Kestrel Talon/Campy Centaur/Campy Zonda
    2011 Nashbar Alu-Carbon/Campy Centaur/Campy Khamsin
    1990 Schwinn 974/Campy Athena
    1988 Trek 400/Shimano 105

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blimey--All this new fangled stuff getting into the cycling drawer--Makes you wonder how you ever got by with a pair of trainers- sports shorts and a T shirt.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may well be due to a brand or size issue. I would not abandon bibs based on one experience with them.
    I haven't given up totally on the idea of bibs, but due to the first, not so good, experience that I had with a pair that I borrowed, it isn't on my list of things to do in the very near future. At the price that a decent bibs go for, it would get pretty expensive to try several pair only to find out that I don't like any of them.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the secret with bibs:

Those of us with a God-given aerodynamic aero-belly (think 1953 Buick) generally love them.

Those of you cursed with a flat tummy can't figure out why the aero-bellies love them.

And, that's it in a nutshell.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-12-11 at 06:33 AM.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany. Just ordered a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105 to replace my "destroyed" CAAD 10 2.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bibs are great. Once you try them you'll never go back to shorts.
    I started with Voler bibs in 2003. Got a deal on some Etxe Ondo bibs in 2004/5. Love them. In 2008 I got another deal on DeMarchi bibs.
    After doing a little cleaning and tossing in September I now have 5 pairs of DeMarchi (4 new) and 3 pairs of Etxe Ondo bibs.

Not to long after I got my road bike, I borrowed an LG bib from a friend of mine to try out before buying some and I just couldn't get used to the straps going over the shoulders. The bib was a medium, which is what I wear, so it wasn't too small because the bottom part fit just right.
    If you look at the size charts for most bibs, the size is based on height, not weight or waist size. If the straps were digging in then you probably needed the next larger size.
    Last edited by RonH; 12-12-11 at 01:55 PM.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105 on order

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not for everyone is true. I have performance elite and Hammer's set I got with a large order. The straps kill me. Once on a century ride (Tour de Safford) I had to stop, at about 70 miles or so take off my jersey, pull off my straps and put on jersey again. I just couldn't stand the strain on my shoulders anymore. Besides I get along with regular shorts just fine. Why complicate things?
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fought wearing bibs for a long time. Talk about being stupid. After my first ride with them I realized riding would have been much more comfortable with them all those long years. Today, I like bibs so much that if I'm going on a casual ride with friend who will all be wearing street clothes, I'll wear street clothes too, but with bibs underneath them.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search all the different bike forums, lots of threads discussing bibs.

I did take the time reading, since the difference in riding comfort is greatly influenced in clothing choices. As for bibs, I believe the biggest issue for most people is the straps. Take two people, both weighing 200lbs with an 36" waist. One is 5' 8" inches and the other 6' 2", and according to the size chart, both need the XL. Except how can the same size bib fit both people equally with a 6" height difference? I think here in lies the problem and why some people either love or hate bibs. Depending on the manufacturer, the bib material and cut, strap lengths vary and it's very important to find what works for your waist size and height. Read the reviews and see what others are recommending for your body size.

As for me, I'm 5'8" and have bibs from 3 different manufacturers. The difference in strap comfort is not bad since I'm not very tall. One is perfect, another loose and the 3rd is between the first and second. For someone taller, they're going to view these bibs differently.

Unless you can find bibs locally, your taking a gamble buying off the net, so read reviews and look for a good return policy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a shorts kind of guy. My only complaint with bibs is the feeling of the shoulder straps slipping down(whether they actually do or don't). They kinda bother me. I have good muscles from my neck to shoulders that taper downward and that makes for that feeling. Oh well.
    The other thing I don't like is the extra layer on my chest and belly. In the summer it is HOT here and that extra layer is a bit much sometimes. Don't like the feeling of something clinging to my belly. I'll take shorts, thank you very much. But if you like bibs, great!
    Last edited by bigbadwullf; 12-12-11 at 02:59 PM.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I first got a pair of bibs in 2010. I have 3 pairs now, 2 PI Elite and 1 Performance Ultra.

I like them best when climbing (does this call for another post in the hill climbing thread....), but, love the fact I am not pulling up shorts all the time.

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those commenting about uncomfortable straps, etc. are you just wearing the bib w/ a jersey? Maybe try it with a baselayer undershirt underneath so the contact points don't go raw. Good baselayers have the potential to keep you cooler than just a jersey on hot days.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bibs are great.
    I have trouble fitting into them. I think it's because there are two dimensions....waist and length. At 5'9" and 185 lbs. with a 35" waist and 43" chest I find that if I buy based on waist size the length is too long and if I buy by length the waist is a tad small. Then again I'm comfortable with shorts. I do have two pair of PI Tri suits and they fit me very well. Unfortunately the chamois gets me about 30-40 mi. and then feels a little too "minimal" for me.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone here wear Assos and are they really worth the price?

My Bikes
    2005 Soma Doublecross
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pair of Castelli bibs, and I hate them. It turns taking a leak into a major production. I have to take off my jacket, take off my jersey, take down the straps, finally extract the dangly bit, do the deed, and then reverse the whole process. I have worn the bibs once, probably never will again.

EDIT: I guess I could try Jim Hobson's "Hunch and Flop". If I don't get arrested it looks like it could be great fun:

http://www.jimhodgson.com/2010/08/19...-hunch-n-flop/
    Last edited by michaelnel; 12-13-11 at 04:44 AM.
    ---

San Francisco, California

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelnel View Post
    I have a pair of Castelli bibs, and I hate them. It turns taking a leak into a major production. I have to take off my jacket, take off my jersey, take down the straps, finally extract the dangly bit, do the deed, and then reverse the whole process. I have worn the bibs once, probably never will again.

EDIT: I guess I could try Jim Hobson's "Hunch and Flop". If I don't get arrested it looks like it could be great fun:

http://www.jimhodgson.com/2010/08/19...-hunch-n-flop/
    Hmmm... thats a good point! I haven't had to take a leak yet; going to have to strategize for when that situation arises. But my Crafts fit perfect.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast