Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pedal Recommendations?

I've recently picked up my first pair of bike shoes complete with spd SM-SH51 cleats.

Now I need to get some pedals for my Trek FX 7.5 hybrid / flat bar road bike.

I'm thinking of getting some dual purpose pedals with clips on one side and flat platforms (for regular shoes) on the other.

Can anyone recommend a model of pedal for me to consider? I'm currently looking at the Shimano A530 or M324. Which would be a better choice?

Thanks!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride clipless all the time and use the A520 pedals- One sided and clipless only but I also have a pair of the A530's. Got talked into them and they are not my favourite but that is due to me only riding clipless. If you are going to ride with ordinary shoes at times then they will be ideal. However once you get into clipless- you will always ride clipless.

But If I am loaning a bike to another- then I put the 530's on and others like them with ordinary shoes. They grip well on shoes or trainers and don't give any problems with foot ache. Nice long wide platform and it even works with MUD.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Man of constant sorrow Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A520s. They're cheap and they work. I have two pairs, both off of EBay for $40, free shipping. Can't beat it with a stick.
    Possunt quia posse videntur. St. Dudel: Epic is stupid that you get away with.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the A530s on my Surly LHT. I rarely use the platform side, but it's there if I need it.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the M520's on both bikes. I really like the idea of being able to clip in on either side and not have to worry if the pedal is in the right position to clip in. If I need to ride with regular shoes, I use my Decksters that just snap in on one side and give you a better platform then the A530's.

Decksters 1.jpg Decksters 2.jpg Decksters 3.jpg

Platforms for any clipless pedals are easy to make and you can use any type of material, including plywood. All you need is an extra set of cleats.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John_V,
    I like the idea of the Deckster for use with the clipless pedals. Could you or someone direct me to more information on them? I'd like to know if they will work on an SPD pedal.

Bill
    Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pedal Recommendations? You need them.

I use speedplay now. They are flat and can be used for short rides with regular shoes but not recommended. I have tried others but for a stomp and go clip in pedal they are hard to beat. There customer service is great too.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The A520s are dependable, as are the A530s. The 530s make riding in non-cycling shoes a bit easier.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the Shimano 324. We just put them on our touring bikes and around town bikes.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...9&category=389

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 7.5 also. The model year I got my they have one sided pedals. They where soon replace with dual sided clipless pedals. My wife had a pair of one sided pedals for her first pair of clipless pedals. They didn't last long either. Riding with clipless will become second nature, and won't feel right if your not clipped in.
    Just go ahead and get dual sided oedals, you won't regret it.

My Bikes
    2005 Soma Doublecross
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have decided after many years of SPDs, BeeBops, Frogs, PowerGrips and clips and straps that I don't need or want to be attached to my pedals. I'm not a racer, and I don't want to have to wear strange shoes to ride my bicycle.

I ride a retrogrouch bike, I have MKS retrogrouch pedals on it, and I am satisfied with that setup.

It's really pretty liberating.
    ---

San Francisco, California

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    If you are going to ride with ordinary shoes at times then they will be ideal. However once you get into clipless- you will always ride clipless.
    My beater bike, the one that I use to run errands on, has clipless/platform pedals. I don't know the model number but they're so old it might involve roman numerals. I love them on that bike and use the platform side a lot. Aside from that, I'm all clipless.

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pair of Forte MTX pedals from Performance. SPD on one side and a wide solid platform on the other. The platform side has some pins to help keep a sneakered foot in place. They are frequently on sale. Don't know how they compare to the Shimanos, but I'm happy with them.