Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Feel the burn

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feel the burn

We had some excitement yesterday. A building in the apartment complex that I live in burned to the ground. But you'll be glad to know that in the apartment where the fire started, they did get the big flat screen TV out. This building was on the far side of the complex, so I was not in danger.

The grounds staff told me that if the people had only called 911 instead of trying to stop it themselves, the fire could have been contained to the apartment. The tenants in the other apartments in the building were not as lucky, since they didn't have as much warning. One lady leaped out of a window trying to escape the blaze and broke her shoulder.

These apartments are fire traps because in the crawl space on top, there are no baffles between the apartments, so the fire just has a party. It's sheltered, the air warms quickly and there's ventilation. If the plastic siding catches, that goes up quickly too.

No buildings in this complex of 42 bulidings have burned down in the other 6 years I lived here. So, it's disturbing that this is the third fire this year. On the 4th of July a kid launched a bottle rocket that went into an apartment window and burnt the entire building of 8 units down. A month or so ago, one ladie's kitchen caught on fire, but that was contained. And now this, a 4 year old playing with matches. The building was about twice the size of the other one that burnt and 16 units got destroyed.

Yes, I have renter's insurance. But I think I'm gonna double-check it and get more documentation of my goodies and keep it in my storage bin. No doubt I'll feel the burn in my wallet next year when they raise the rent to pay for what their insurance doesn't cover and the bump in their premiums.

Video and photos
    Last edited by Artkansas; 12-12-11 at 11:17 AM.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Man of constant sorrow Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For some reason this post reminds me of an occurrence in WWI: a few German soldiers wanted to warm up their coffee (and could you blame them?) and didn't have a convenient fire source so they decided to use a um flamethrower, and in doing so caught the camp on fire, and as the camp was a munitions dump, nothing but badness happened after that.

Anyway, I'm glad no one lost their lives. I always thought the fire codes were supposed to keep that sort of thing from happening.
    Possunt quia posse videntur. St. Dudel: Epic is stupid that you get away with.

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    a few German soldiers wanted to warm up their coffee... they decided to use a um flamethrower, and in doing so caught the camp on fire, and as the camp was a munitions dump, nothing but badness happened after that.
    Using a CO2 extinguisher to chill beer is safer. Never tried it, mind you.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you are okay... and I sure hope no valuable bikes were lost.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be looking for another place to live right about now...

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, different states have different fire and building codes. I know my state (IN) would baffle the attic spaces, at the very least.

I'd be looking too, Art.

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll wager this complex is a large violation of codes, both local and national. The NFPA requires a fire separation wall between apartments running from the foundation to the roof structure. Most local codes do, too. If it is an old structure group it has probably escaped any inspections by the local code enforcement or insurance carrier.

Glad you are okay and had no loss or injury.

Bill
    Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
    Using a CO2 extinguisher to chill beer is safer. Never tried it, mind you.
    Liquid nitrogen works quicker and you don't need as much. Don't recall how I know this obscure fact though.

My Bikes
    Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem w/ CO2 extinguishers is the risk of blowing your beer can/bottle across the floor...a can of "canned air" turned upside down work well...1 can for each can/bottle of beer works well (and we're not talking environmental/cost issues, right?).

Yeah, there are codes but if there aren't enough inspectors to ensure compliance then the codes are meaningless until the lawsuits get filed.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An ice cold fishing stream works well for cooling drinks(un-opened ones that is).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    An ice cold fishing stream works well for cooling drinks(un-opened ones that is).
    In winter, you can just leave the drinks outside. I went on one winter camping trip where we kept the beer in a cooler with no ice. But the insulation kept it from freezing as it would have just sitting outside.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.