Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not riding so plenty of time to find this---OT

As an EX Royal Marine-I know I have an affinity with some of you in the US from the USMC. We did the same job- Except for me as I was in the Boxing team and didn't do much at all.

But one thing I used to get involved in was The Royal Marine Band. Being a "Musician" in Inverted comma's and said tongue in cheek--as I played bass guitar and every depot I was posted to had a "Pop" Group of some kind that utilised my musical talents. Considering as how the others were Trained musicians- I could never understand how they put up with an amateur like me.

BUT one thing I used to enjoy was listening to what can only be termed the Greatest Military Band in the world. With these long evenings and no riding- I have started perusing the internet and some of that has been the RM Band. They have a sound of their own and much of it comes from the Drummers. They have made an art form of their skill and I could listen to them for hours.

Just to give you a taste of what my new computer has found on the internet.

I no longer live in my service days but you always have a fondness for the Old regiment you served in. But all I have to hear is the sound of those drummers and I am lost in the many happy days I spent 40 years ago.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool!! Thanks for sharing!
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, nostalgia. I know the feeling
    I'm a forester by profession, and as a young man would go into the bush for 4 months every summer to do forest inventory work. We traveled in Land Rovers, Beaver and Otter aircraft, riverboats, inflatable rafts, and Bell 47 helicopters. We also walked long distances. I was paid to go camping and fishing for 4 months. All I had to do was work ten days in a row, and then get a day off to dry out and clean our kit before starting another work shift.

Yes, those were the days.
    Skilsaw
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool Stapfam. That would be a show to see. In the summer we have the Friday night dress parade at the Washington DC Marine Corps Barracks a few blocks away from me. That is quite a show too. But I think I would give the nod to that precision drumming.

Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not meaning one bit of disrespect, but for some reason when the drummers started I thought of the Revolutionary War we in the US fought against England. Just seems all the movies portray the drummers out there in battle (on both sides) Anyway that was my first thought. My thoughts afterward is of the immense respect and admiration I have of our mutual relationship in being allies. We have done well over the years with each other's cooperation and respect.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link stapfam, the RM band is super as are their pipe corps. The Friday evening USMC "8th & I" retreat is a sight to behold, as is the Silent drill Team. I'd love to hear the Royal Marine and U.S. Marine Corp bands perform in the same venue. The USMC Drum and Bugle Corps comes here occasionally and are good, also.

Cheers to all the Royal Marines, our brothers in arms and at the pub (I think I need a Guiness Stout tonight come to think of it!)

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some extraordinary jazz musicians have come through the service bands in the US, and no doubt in the UK as well. The "Airmen of Note" is one of the great jazz ensembles and, as a trombonist, I'll point out their long history of great trombone sections and soloists. Sammy Nestico, who wrote a number of Count Basie's hits, was an Airmen of Note trombonist. Many great trombonists take on Tommy Dorsey's old theme song "I'm getting Sentimental Over You", and Dave Steinmeyer nailed it like nobody before or after, complete with 'chords' you can get on a trombone by humming a harmonic while playing a pedal tone. One of the alltime great performances.. As Stapfam mentioned, service bands aren't all about marches and fife and drum.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
    I'm a forester by profession, and as a young man would go into the bush for 4 months every summer to do forest inventory work. We traveled in Land Rovers, Beaver and Otter aircraft, riverboats, inflatable rafts, and Bell 47 helicopters. We also walked long distances. I was paid to go camping and fishing for 4 months. All I had to do was work ten days in a row, and then get a day off to dry out and clean our kit before starting another work shift.

Skilsaw
    Ah, the days of summer, wearing full rain gear on a hot summer's day whilst bashing one's way through a Devil's Club infested swamp while enclouded with Mosquitoes and No-see-ums enjoying the suttle differences in the tastes of the same. I remember them well, sure glad I found another soft touch guv'ment job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post

Skilsaw
    Ah, the days of summer, wearing full rain gear on a hot summer's day whilst bashing one's way through a Devil's Club infested swamp while enclouded with Mosquitoes and No-see-ums enjoying the suttle differences in the tastes of the same. I remember them well, sure glad I found another soft touch guv'ment job.