Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moab Skinny Tire Festival

This fun festival of road riding in the Canyonlands of the Colorado River is March 10 - 13. I love riding in Moab and also get in a few nice hikes in the National Parks while I'm there. It makes a great get away from rainy Oregon for me, plus it's a fun and friendly group of riders.

Here's one road you'll ride, Arches National Park

http://skinnytireevents.com/content/blogcategory/28/63/
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a great series of rides, but I don't think I could bring myself to go to Moab without a Mountain Bike Have a great time!

My Bikes
    1970? Dawes Galaxy, 1992 Biscayne Lazer, 1999 Specialized FSR Elite, 2011 Raleigh Record Ace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outstanding! I was just out there ~6 weeks ago...rented a bike from Poison Spider, and rode down Potash Rd (runs along the Colorado River). Of course, this was intermixed with hiking at Arches and Canyonlands. If you have the time, do the NPS guided hike at Fiery Furnace at Arches - approx 3 hrs, $10 and pure awesome!

...now I'm itching to go back...
    There's nothing for you to see here...just move along, now...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    That looks like a great series of rides, but I don't think I could bring myself to go to Moab without a Mountain Bike Have a great time!
    I know, the idea of road riding in Moab is a bit odd. The nice thing is that the rides are in the mornings, leaving the rest of the day for other activities. I have rented mountain bikes for afternoon trail rides and last time I was there I took my own mountain bike along with the roadie. One year I took the ski gear and skied a few days in the Wasatch along the way, that's the nice thing about that area, so many things to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like fun. I'll keep it in mind. A buddy of mine recently did a half-marathon at the Moab Marathon. I'd like to go for the road ride, would bring my mtn. bike, and hiking shoes and drive my Jeep. My concern at the time of year though would be wind. Big time wind.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would really like 2 B there.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    Sounds like fun. I'll keep it in mind. A buddy of mine recently did a half-marathon at the Moab Marathon. I'd like to go for the road ride, would bring my mtn. bike, and hiking shoes and drive my Jeep. My concern at the time of year though would be wind. Big time wind.
    I've been to STF 5 times, wind has never been a big issue at that time in March. It has been cold two years, but dry and sunny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice video Barrettscv! I am sure that the road ride will be fantastic, but this would be better!

The cat says Merry Xmas Pamestique's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    I've done the event a number of times. Yes I know Moab is the MTB place but it has great road cycling as well. Each day's rides are nicer than the prior. When you think it can't get nicer, it does. Not only is the scenary wonderful, but the rides are a real challenge, something any road cyclist would love! The event is well attended, the organizers are the greatest and I've always met the nicest people. The town of Moab is a great place to spend 4 - 5 days; great restaurants and lots to do after the rides. And it is all so cheap (at least to me!). If you like multi-day rides please consider this event. As a cancer survivor, I urge you to give this ride a chance; raising money for LAF is a worthy cause.

Just on the weather: It's been warm; it's been freezing cold (with snow!). Never had a problem with wind but I am sure it can happen. Need to plan ahead and check the weather before you travel.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to do this one.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for info re wind. I live in Taos, and I know at that time of the year, wind is a big issue around us, especially after noon. Will try to get up there.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2012 is too soon for us, learned about it too late. But I think the concept rung a bell with my wife - 2013 may be our first official cycling vacation!

Now the question - we don't have mtbs, what kind of riding could we do on our cyclocross bikes?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by david58 View Post
    2012 is too soon for us, learned about it too late. But I think the concept rung a bell with my wife - 2013 may be our first official cycling vacation!

Now the question - we don't have mtbs, what kind of riding could we do on our cyclocross bikes?
    There are lots of gravel roads going in several directions from town that would be great on your cross bikes. There are also many mountain bikes for rent.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only a couple months to the Skinny Tire Fest, still time to sign up!!

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish they would do this in the fall. I don't start getting serious about the bike until march or april (depending on the weather) and it takes me a bit longer to get my legs "back" every year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

staring at the mountains superdex's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1x9 mtb commuter, Blue Racing Rc4AL w/Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @rck you want the Moab Century Tour then --it's in September.

The Skinny Tire fest is a great weekend of riding, the roads are quiet and wonderful, and the scenery can't be beat. Pack for all weather conditions -- my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I got snowed on in 30mph winds. Grrreat way to, um, deepen interest in the sport (oops)....

My Bikes
    Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningPirate View Post
    Outstanding! I was just out there ~6 weeks ago...rented a bike from Poison Spider, and rode down Potash Rd (runs along the Colorado River). Of course, this was intermixed with hiking at Arches and Canyonlands. If you have the time, do the NPS guided hike at Fiery Furnace at Arches - approx 3 hrs, $10 and pure awesome!

...now I'm itching to go back...
    I was just in Moab for Jan 1 & 2. I hiked Firey Furnace with a group. No ranger led hikes this time of year. You get to go in yourself for $4/per person. Hiked around in there for a couple of hours and then hiked Tower Arch. Next day went to the San Rafael Swell and canyoneered Ding & Dang Canyons. No bikes, but a lot of fun.
    Gunnar Sport
    Specialized Ruby
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX
    Jamis Dragon

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by superdex View Post
    @rck you want the Moab Century Tour then --it's in September.

The Skinny Tire fest is a great weekend of riding, the roads are quiet and wonderful, and the scenery can't be beat. Pack for all weather conditions -- my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I got snowed on in 30mph winds. Grrreat way to, um, deepen interest in the sport (oops)....
    Thanks for the headsup, I'll bookmark and see what the world is like at that time!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
    I was just in Moab for Jan 1 & 2. I hiked Firey Furnace with a group. No ranger led hikes this time of year. You get to go in yourself for $4/per person. Hiked around in there for a couple of hours and then hiked Tower Arch. Next day went to the San Rafael Swell and canyoneered Ding & Dang Canyons. No bikes, but a lot of fun.
    The San Rafael Swell is a pretty amazing place to explore, the Indian rock art is awesome and all over the place. I'm not sure where Ding & Dang are located, I've mostly been north of I-70 in the Buckhorn Little Grand Canyon areas. I hope to get to Head of Sinbad Pictographs in March.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moab has lots of fun rides, including a bridge to nowhere, the kind I like!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome shot, Shifty. That you on the bike?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not me on the bike there, but it could be you if you ride Uranium Arch. It's pretty wide so it isn't scary, but have a photographer ready to document your ride.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    ...It's pretty wide so it isn't scary...
    When I saw that image, I hoped it was wider than it appeared.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The awesome riding in Moab starts in 10 days, looks like the weather might just be pretty awesome too.

Riding in Arches National Park

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another great week in Moab has come to an end, what a great week it was too. The weather was just fantastic, sunny skies, little wind and temps in the 70's ( yes, this is a big deal coming from Oregon in March). I took both the road and mountain bike, got in three great rides on the trails and four days of beautiful road rides during the Skinny Tire Festival. I also had two nice hikes in Arches National Park, including the ranger lead Firey Furnace hike that was outstanding! Turn out for the STF was great this year with over 650 riders, so lots of friendly riders to enjoy the great rides.
    Our ride group enjoying the lunch stop at Dead Horse Point, it was all downhill from here!!

On a hike in Arches National Park

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast