Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garmin 500 Edge setup/configuration question

I just got a Garmin for the bike, and after charging the battery and turning it on for the first time, it wants to know the position format I want to use. It defaults to degrees-minutes-seconds, which makes sense, but there's also a choice called "US National Grid." And of course there's absolutely no discussion of it in either the quick start guide, nor in the actual manual.

Can anyone offer any hints about this particular setting?
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Trek 7300 Giant Sedona E-Bike Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't help as I have a FR60 system (Non-GPS). It seems we're converging on cycle gear though. I'm awaiting delivery on Shimano MO-87 shoes and SPD pedals.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter unless you intend to enter or read out numerical coordinates. Most often you'll see coordinated given as degrees:minutes:second with whole degrees and minutes, and seconds with decimal places. The next most common is degrees:minutes with whole degrees and minutes decimal places. Less common is simply degrees decimal places. It's straightforward to convert. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geograp...ate_conversion

Also check http://www.fgdc.gov/usng/how-to-read-usng

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went through that and took the default. Seems to work fine. Previous poster is likely correct in his "it doesn't matter" assessment.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Particularly with the 500 Edge, which doesn't have much onboard mapping capability, it doesn't matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typical Garmin documentation; leaves you in the cold. You could call them or email them and get an answer that might be right or wrong. But the person above who said it doesn't matter was right on if you are only referring to using the 500's routing function to keep from getting lost. Heres' why:

The only time the reference grid matters is if the device is trying to match coordinates with a chart or map. In that case for the matching to make any sense both have to use the same grid reference. Since the chart/map was already constructed using a particular grid reference that means the GPS must use the same.

Just be sure if you are going to construct a route using some application like Mapmyride you match reference systems.

It sounds complicated but a wee bit of practice and you'll have it figured out.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.