Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's everyone like to relieve cold symptoms?

I am home. Sick. Despite my best efforts, I am now felled by the official company cold.
    I had a flu shot, and I use the purell stations around the place. Alas, it got me.
    Spent a good percentage of last night coughing, and now my entire chest is sore.

I think this is the first one I have had in over two years. Not a bad record I guess, when you consider the concentration of human bodies in eastern MA. So, what does everyone like to relieve symptoms? This clogged nose and sore throat are driving me crazy.

Advil cold and sinus has been recommended to me. I've been told to avoid Aleve. The warnings on that product are a little scary.

Cough Syrups? Never really like any of them. Any to recommend?

I have Tylenol, but that is not touching the congestion.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to bed--Take aspirin every 4 hours and tie a garlic clove around your neck to relieve the blocked nose and in two weeks you will feel fine

OR

Suffer through it and to help with the symptoms- have a bottle of Cognac at your side at all times. The cognac will not help but you won't care. Using this method and in a fortnight the cold will be gone.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never tried them but my wife swears by those zinc lozenges.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bourbon with a splash of lemon and honey.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A sprintz or two of Chloraseptic really helps the throat feel better. Other than that, a box of tissues, a warm bed and socks is about all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Dress in multiple layers of clothing. T-shirts, sweatpants, hoodie etc.
    2. Spent 30 minutes engaging in the aerobic exercise of your choice. Running, cycling, jump rope - whatever works up a major sweat.
    3. Immediately get in a hot bath. As hot as you can stand. Get out as soon as the water becomes comfortably cool.
    4. Drink a hot whisky toddy. http://www.rampantscotland.com/recip...cipe_toddy.htm
    5. Go to bed. Go immediately to bed. Do not pass the fridge. Do not collect that box of Cheez-its.
    6. Sleep.

If that doesn't do the trick, well at least you'll have had a whisky toddy.
    "I heard the music and I wrote to it. Some people beat drums, some people strum guitars. It's all in the music you hear" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can personally vouch that taking Cold-eze(zinc lozenges) cut the duration of a cold practically in half.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Go to bed--Take aspirin every 4 hours and tie a garlic clove around your neck to relieve the blocked nose and in two weeks you will feel fine

OR

Suffer through it and to help with the symptoms- have a bottle of Cognac at your side at all times. The cognac will not help but you won't care. Using this method and in a fortnight the cold will be gone.
    Hahaha. My Grandfather used Wiskey and Honey for us. I am not sure it made us feel better but it tasted so bad we were afraid to act sick. Isn't a fortnight 14 days? Differnt treatments same results?
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Bourbon with a splash of lemon and honey.

My Daddy, who was also a pharmacist would say that's a helluva way to treat good bourbon. But seriously Mucinex DM will break up the congestion in your chest and help to relieve the cough. drink lots of water, drink like you were riding. The Advil, Aleve, Tylenol are primarily for the aches and fever and most nasal decongestants (except topical sprays or inhalers) are not kind to men over 50 (they make the prostate swell) Good luck
    Red, like the color my hair used to be.

Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember that zinc nasal sprays have been linked to loss of smell... pretty sure they are off the market now?
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Raleigh Venture 3.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sleep and chicken soup.

Not at the same time though.
    "Why is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a barbecue?" Anonymous

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I've never tried them but my wife swears by those zinc lozenges.

+100!!! Zinc is proven to shorten the duration of a cold.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was once told that the remedy for a cold was a bottle of whiskey and a hat. Put the hat on the foot of the bed, get in bed, drink the whiskey until you can't see the hat. When you wake up, the cold will be gone (or so they claimed).
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the first hint of a cold, I take ecchinacea. But if you wait too long, you're hooped; ecchinacea will no longer work once the cold sets in.

It's been my experience that patent medicines, although they might suppress some of the symptoms, only make the cold last longer. I find colds run their course best if you don't take any patent medicines, but instead you flush the germs out of your system by drinking as much soup, tea, whatever as you can. I think alcohol only clogs your sinuses more, but that's just me. Go ahead and get soused if you think that helps. They say,"feed a cold and starve a fever," and I think that's a pretty good rule of thumb.

And as long as you're not really dizzy (for which you need to be in a warm bed), I think it helps to be bundled up and on your bike, spinning easy. This allows you to blow out your sinuses on the back roads. Yeah, you're probably spreading germs along the route, but I don't think they survive long at winter temperatures without your body to feed off. So when you return from your ride, you'll at least have clear sinuses for a short while. But I think the ride will have gotten the blood flowing, accelerating the process of getting the contaminants out of your system. Frequent urination is a good thing, so I usually drink more coffee than normal. Whenever I use this process, the cold only lasts a few days, seldom a fortnight. I seldom miss a day off work due to a cold, and that happens maybe once every three years minimum. But my colds go thru phases, the final phase being heavy coughing, but that's just your body trying to get rid of the last of the bad stuff.

Oh, and I never get flu shots! I prefer the natural approach. Like whenever I'm in Mexico, I brush my teeth with the tap water so that my body will get accustomed to the less-than-pristine environment.

L.
    Last edited by lhbernhardt; 12-22-11 at 02:34 PM. Reason: one more aside

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A goat.

Sacrifice a goat to appease the gods. It will surely make your cold go away.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drink all the fluids you can as long as you can. Flush out your system as much as possible. I also take vitamin C (lots of it) at the first hint of a cold coming on. Good luck. I am just getting over mine now and the wife is in her third day.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to take echinacea, but the most recent research pretty conclusively showed it does squat. I've done the zinc lozenge thing too but without a control, there's no way to know if the cold would have been worse or taken longer to clear up without them. Unless I'm really sick or have a fever, I'll ride. Pseudoephedrine helps dry things up if my nose is really runny and is a bit like taking speed.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used Advil Cold last time. I guess I would try it again...for whatever reason it took a couple of weeks to get rid of that cold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    A goat.

Sacrifice a goat to appease the gods. It will surely make your cold go away.
    Pagan! It must be a white lamb without fault and presented while wearing white garments.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
    Hahaha. My Grandfather used Wiskey and Honey for us. I am not sure it made us feel better but it tasted so bad we were afraid to act sick. Isn't a fortnight 14 days? Differnt treatments same results?
    Foiled again.

I do have a decongestant that I use so that I can work through the worst of the cold if required but as soon as you stop taking it--You still have 14 days- or a fortnight- of suffering.

Spike Milligan

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
    Pagan! It must be a white lamb without fault and presented while wearing white garments.
    Heretic! Kinich Ahau demands goat blood. Don't piss him off.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
    Heretic! Kinich Ahau demands goat blood. Don't piss him off.

White Bike.jpg

Like this one

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you take a bunch of over the counter pharmaceuticals, you'll get over a cold in about a week. If you don't take anything, your cold will drag on for about seven days.

Take whatever helps you feel better, but read up on all the ingredients first. Don't take combo drugs unless you understand what each of the active ingredients does.

If you feel profoundly crappy/ill with high fever, difficulty breathing, etc., then of course consult with a healthcare practitioner.

For those of us who haven't yet got a flu shot this year, get thee to a drugstore, doctor, etc. and get vaccinated. A cold is annoying but influenza kills people.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are already unsteady on your feet, or weak, then all you can do it ride it out with something for symptom relief, like Nyquil.

If you can stand, walk, move, and don't collapse, then get your backside in the saddle and BURN it out!

It works for me, but you do what works for you..... I have to tell you, though, about that flu shot:

My last flu shot was in 1987, in the Army, required by our First Sergeant; guess what? I got SICK. Haven't experienced that since -- smoking caused multiple sinus infections that would lay me out (quit smoking 10 years ago this week, have had 2 sinus infections since). But FLU? Nope.

Riding, in all weather conditions, has been a huge preventive measure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try denial. It's only a cold if you believe it is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast