Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cavendish Wins again.

Seems like you cannot stop Mark from winning. He has had an exceptional year and his achievements have been followed by every cyclist that I know. Here in the UK we have the BBC sports personality of the year and Mark Cavendish has won it for this year.

When you realise that Cycling is not a sport that is covered greatly on BBC TV.- and this award is voted for by the Public- he has done well.

His achievement is something like a soccer player winning the equivalent in the US.

Well done Mark.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/
    Last edited by stapfam; 12-22-11 at 03:17 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Undeniably the best current sprinter. That said, he has a team that delivered him to the right place at the right time, in the right position to capitalize.

I would have expected a footballer to win that honor so good on him indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what you do?

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my book he is a "bad boy" with over inflated ego!

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think he's just a kid whose body matured much quicker than his social skills. But best at his specialty. Should become a US citizen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Well done Mark.
    +1!

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    Undeniably the best current sprinter. That said, he has a team that delivered him to the right place at the right time, in the right position to capitalize.

Yes, it will be interesting to see if Sky's leadout train can deposit Mark to his optimal position at 200 meters in 2012 as Mark Renshaw & HTC were so good at doing so far. And especially as Sky will have a yellow jersey contender in the Tour as well, so there may be conflicting goals.

I like Mark, I think his heart is in the right place. His personality is typical of young and successful road sprinters; you have to have a bit of ego mixed with killer instinct to be successful. Those bunch sprints are just as crazy as they look! I had expected Tyler Farrar to be giving Mark a good run for his money this year, but I think he's too nice a guy...

L.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cav gives the best interview of any cyclist, because he puts his thoughts and feelings out there. I love that. I applaud that. He is also the best at minimizing his effort leading up to the sprint, the best at positioning himself for the win, has the most aero sprint posture, and has a kick nobody else can match. If you want to learn how it's done, you watch Cav. Not having Renshaw will really hurt, but I think Sky will get him up there, and they would be silly to give up stage wins in the faint hope of an illusive GC.

Congratulations to Mark!
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Mark--For the world championships- he did not have the HTC team around him-it was Team GB that has a lot of the Sky Team in it. So providing he can be delivered- he will do well in the TDF next year. And although I cannot remember the events- He has won single day events before and with good opposition in those events. I for one am not going to knock him.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Cav too, and while I agree that he has a huge ego (and as noted above) I also agree that it's absolutely necessary for a sprinter (at whatever level). At the same time, however, Cav is always thanking his team and giving them the credit for putting him into a position where he can work his magic, i.e. he is very generous with his praise to his team mates.

So that's the other (very important) side of the big ego thing. Be sure to see the movie Chasing Legends (if you haven't already) for some good insight into the workings of the team for and by Cav.

It will be interesting seeing Marcel Kittel (Skil-Shimano) go up against Mark (Sky) in 2012!

Rick / OCRR
    Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 12-23-11 at 11:12 AM.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to read Cav won the award. He has stepped up his game this year and all of the UK looks to have a bright future with Sky and the riders they have assembled.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post

It will be interesting seeing Marcel Kittel (Skil-Shimano) go up against Mark (Sky) in 2012!

Rick / OCRR
    I picked up Kittel in one of the minor tours last year and he looked good.

Spike Milligan

Hebden Bridge, W. Yorks, UK (Brontė country)
    My Bikes
    Road: Al Cannondale, Steel Basso. MTB: Steel hardtail.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I picked up Kittel in one of the minor tours last year and he looked good.
    Ah yes - I saw that - a hat-trick (3 stage wins) in the Tour of Poland. He was very impressive.
    Filippo Pozzato's NAKED SIDI bike shoes ad - WTF were they thinking!
    My Mk2 Crud Roadracer fenders review (do you actually LIKE that dirty wet stripe up your back?)

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinJ View Post
    Ah yes - I saw that - a hat-trick (3 stage wins) in the Tour of Poland. He was very impressive.
    Plus, Kittel didn't have a lead-out train so I think a very different kind of sprinter than Cav. Should be interesting!

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it takes a special rider to get the talent Cav had in this past year's lead out to work for you. Those riders busted their buns for him. I would suspect they had a strong belief that he would finish the job. I don't know the young man personally. So, it's always hard to judge, but it seems from interviews that he has matured this year a great deal.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you follow Cav on Twitter, and I do, you'll see a humorous and even warm side to him. Sure, he has an ego, most every elite in any discipline does. It's almost necessary, and believe you me, they can back it up. How that ego is tempered as time goes on speaks of the mettle behind it. I think he's a good person, and I know he's a great sprinter and fine athlete. I'm quite proud of what he's done this year, and my heartfelt congratulations go out to him.
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A really good interview with Cav in one of the racing magazines. He was well spoken and gave a nice interview for my money. Here's to Sky in 2012 and to Cavendish having a good year. it will be interesting to see how Cadel fares again and how all these new comers will shape up.

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 12-27-11 at 07:27 AM.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well spoken? Cav has a Liverpudlian accent and that is a bit guttural at the best of times. Not exactly the queens spoken English.

But Kittel is one that should be looked out for next year. He does not have a team around him but got a few sprints in last year. All he will have to do is hang onto the rear wheel of a decent sprinter being dragged along by his team and I think he will be getting some results.

Spike Milligan