Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

2012 plans

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-11, 06:16 PM

Bikes: Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2012 plans

Starting 1/1/12 I will be officially retired so to keep my self active and on some form of schedule I am going to set a goal of an average of 100 miles per week but secretly shooting for 200. What kind of mileage goals are others setting?
Old 12-29-11, 06:51 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
400 miles per month is my New Year's resolution goal. Oh, and get off and stay off the alcohol completely.
Old 12-29-11, 07:27 PM
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
I am finishing this year at just under 7,400 miles. My goal for 2012 is to crest 8,000 miles.
Old 12-29-11, 09:25 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 12bar
Starting 1/1/12 I will be officially retired so to keep my self active and on some form of schedule I am going to set a goal of an average of 100 miles per week but secretly shooting for 200. What kind of mileage goals are others setting?
i usually intend to beat the previous year, this year I am intentionally NOT setting a distance goal, I want to ride for the sake of fresh air and exercise, right now the idea is that I spend some time on the trainer, for the new year that will start at 40 minutes and work up to an hour, with an extended ride once a week working to two hours...
Old 12-29-11, 10:28 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I just signed up for the Solvang Double century. That's a freakin' goal. I'm hoping it gets me motivated to seriously train and drop a few pounds.
I'm also doing Adventure Cycling's Cycle Washington in this summer.
My other goal is to ride Mt. Tam, the SF Bay Area mountain i haven't been up yet.
Old 12-29-11, 10:38 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
My other goal is to ride Mt. Tam, the SF Bay Area mountain i haven't been up yet.
Spring Solvang is one of the easier CA doubles Curtis (but you knew that), however, The Mt. Tam double is a great way to see Mt. Tam (and surrounding areas).

I've ridden that one twice and it was a challenge both times. Good luck with the Mt. Tam double!

Rick / OCRR
Old 12-29-11, 11:47 PM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 12bar
Starting 1/1/12 I will be officially retired
Congratulations! I'm as envious as hell.

I just signed up for the Solvang Double century. That's a freakin' goal. I'm hoping it gets me motivated to seriously train and drop a few pounds.
That's the way I'm setting up 2012 - i.e. I'm not looking at miles per week so much as specific goals.

I plan to start randonneuring, and would like to get a "super randonee" medal in the next year or two by completing a 200 km, 300 km, 400 km and 600 km, all within the specified number of hours, all in the same year. I've also registered for a 24-hour marathon, and want to do a double-century - not yet sure which.
Old 12-30-11, 01:13 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I won't be adding up all the odometer readings on my bikes until Dec 31, but so far I've got over 20,500 km on the fixie alone. PBP helped a lot, and I don't think I'll be able to exceed this until 2013, when I'm planning on doing London-Edinburgh-London (on the fixed gear of course!). In 2012, I'm planning on doing a California Triple Crown on the fixie (I likely won't include Alta Alpina). I was doing some recce this week while I'm in the SF Bay Area. Bagged Mt. Tam and Mt. Hamilton, I'm posting photos on another thread. The Mt. Tamalpais ride was just part of a 100-km excursion to check out Bolinas-Fairfax Rd and Ridgecrest Blvd, so I decided to throw in the climb to the East Peak because it was so close. But Mt. Hamilton got out of hand. After lunch at the summit (generously provided by Richard of the Valley Spokesmen), audacity got the better of me and I proceeded solo down the other side. This is a one-way 106-mile loop because you DO NOT want to turn around and go back up Mt. Hamilton from the uber-steep east side! Finished in the dark at about 6:15 pm. Good thing I had my lights with me, but Calaveras road in the dark was just unending! Reminded me of why I don't like riding at night in the brevets...

Last edited by lhbernhardt; 12-30-11 at 01:14 AM. Reason: typos
Old 12-30-11, 08:05 AM
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Keep It Simple: Ride. Whenever and wherever. As much as possible.
Old 12-30-11, 08:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to retirement (I retired in 2007). Find 2 - 4 events that you'd like to do in 2012 and "train" for them. Could be anything from a century to an organized "tour" (RAGBRAI, BRAG, BIKE FLORIDA, etc.) or a weekend/holiday event (here in Florida we have The Tour Of Sebring and Mt. Dora weekends) where you stay in one town and do day rides. If you haven't already, hook up with a local club - they usually have the inside info on events and riding with others is more fun than riding solo.
Old 12-30-11, 08:43 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Northwest Washington is where I'm from, and I still get up thee almost every summer. I've ridden almost all of the places you'll go on Cycle Washington. It should be beautiful! Cross your fingers for no rain. I've been very lucky cycling in the summer months up there - only 4 or 5 days of rain in many different tours. Enjoy!
Old 12-30-11, 08:45 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Congratulations on your retirement. I think that you will find yourself riding more than what you are setting as a goal since you now have plenty of time to ride. I find it more of a priority issue than anything else. You would be surprised just how much time you have if you set your priorities. I know that for me, things that seemed important when I was working, just don't seem to matter anymore.

I retired on October 28th of this year. In the month of November, I went from my normal 15-20 mile a day, after work rides to 30 miles a day. I also increased my weekend rides from 40+ to 50+ miles. Since I got the hybrid in July of 2010, and the road bike in Nov. of 2010, I put over 5,000 miles between the two of them.

It was great until Nov. 26th, when I collided with my wife and landed on my back. I've been on the bike once since then doing a 6.25 mile slow ride around the neighborhood this past Monday. I've been trying to ride again, but I'm a bit gun shy about re-injuring myself if my back is bothering me even a little bit. I'm hoping that my back will heal soon as I have an MS 150 coming up in March and I really need to get back into the swing of things. I was wanting to get the road bike on the trainer this week so that if my back started bothering me, I didn't have to get off and walk the bike back to the truck. The neighborhood ride was done on the hybrid where I sit up more, so maybe I'll try this afternoon for another neighborhood ride.

Since you are in West Central Florida, let me know if you want to do the MS 150. It's in your area and is a really great ride.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 12-30-11, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
My office has moved, so, making usual assumptions regarding holidays and vacations, I should ride 6,000 miles this year, up from 4,800 in previous years.

Paul
Old 12-30-11, 09:08 AM
Icantre Member

Bikes: 2001 DBR Axis TT, 1998 Trek 5500 OCLV, 1993 Trek 1100, 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1972 Gitane Attic Beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For over 60 years old, 300 quality scenic fun miles a month with some upper body exercise is fine by me. Any more than that would be pushing my luck. A lot of you old hotshots will find this out after you break something and I don't mean your bike. I've got about twenty more years to go and I want to do it standing up and above ground.
Old 12-30-11, 09:10 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
My time will be split between my home in Chicago and an office I'm helping to open in Twinsburg, Ohio. I also plan to visit my wife's family in Italy for vacation in August or September. I'm going to keep a bike or two in each location. Cycling in Chicago is familiar and I have several friends and groups that I ride with. Twinsburg is near the Cuyahoga National Park and offers hundreds of miles of first class cycling. Cycling in Italy will be excellent, if I can manage the climbs.

I'd like to complete a few short tours. I'd also like to attend a gravel-road century.

My normal annual cycling mileage has been in the 4000 to 5000 mile/year range over the last several years. I should be able to manage that again.

I'd like to complete several organized century or longer rides in 2012. I'll also do an independent century ride monthly, starting in March.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-30-11 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-30-11, 09:20 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
My 2012 goals are to ride with regularity (75-100 MPW) and to keep my diet in good shape, especially keeping soda pops out of my hands totally. I want to make sure I keep my bicycle rider's road diary up to date daily, after each time I ride, and to record my weight and heart rates both resting and 3/4 effort. Just an increment in self improvement for this old guy that is loving riding and my life.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-30-11, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
For routine weeks, I typically do 100-120 miles. If I try to push for more than that I find I get burnt out and stop enjoying it. That's just me, of course and YMMV. I usually do a couple of tours or events where I'll rack up 300-400+ miles in a week and wind up totaling ~5000/year. I supplement that with spinning classes when I don't have the time, or the weather isn't conducive.
Old 12-30-11, 09:36 AM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I had a 2011 goal of 3,000 miles and made it (3,500+). For 2012, I'm shooting for 4,000+ and barring exceptional circumstances, I see no reason why I won't make it.

Also trying to decide on doing more group rides. I did a couple this year and had a good time on 1 but not so good on the 2nd.
Old 12-30-11, 09:52 AM

Bikes: Soma Stanyan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey I am still working and commuting 24 miles a day round trip. That's about 100 miles a week. I try to do one long ride on the weekends and 3 or 4 Century rides a year. At 61 I feel my body getting weaker and am going back to body building a few times a week. Have a great 2012.
Old 12-30-11, 10:28 AM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I'm setting a goal of 7000 for the year, which is my usual goal. I'm also planning many event rides to add the fun to those miles, Skinny Tire Festival in Moab in March, Montana Bicycle Ride in August and Cycle Oregon in September. I'm also planning a week trip to ride in Northern California in April or May.
Old 12-30-11, 12:54 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
My only goal-to be goalless! That, of course, won't happen. So my back-up plan aims for 2-2,500 miles, at least 1 english century, doing the 150k rte of the Dairyland Dare, and riding a metric century on my 62nd b-day! All else is superfluous.
Old 12-30-11, 01:18 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by teachme
Oh, and get off and stay off the alcohol completely.
That part's simple. I've got 23 1/2 years so I know how to do it. Don't drink today, post back tomorrow, and I'll tell you what to do tomorrow.
Old 12-30-11, 01:30 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Keep breathing hopefully heavily often on two wheels and other places!
Old 12-30-11, 01:33 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Still working full-time but out of my home office. I'd like to ride 60 miles/week on the tandem and 40/week on my new single, but business travel can kill ones weekly average. Still, job is mostly very good so I think I'll work a few more years before I retire. I'd also like to try a 200K on the single if I can get my rear end in shape.
Old 12-30-11, 03:51 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Simple, to get this left knee back to normal so I can get in my 100 to 150 miles a week! On the 1st. of Dec. I woke up and my left knee was in "SERIOUS" pain and wouldn't fully extend! After a ER vist and a Othro Doc. vist, I've been told I have "Pseudogout", a type of arthritis that, MIMICS" GOUT. Although it has NOTHING to do with Uric Acid levels or what you eat. It's cause by a "build up" of "Calcium Pro-Phosphate Crystals" in a joint, usually in a larger joint but I've got it in both the left knee and the left "second" toe (not the big toe). For 3 weeks I could hardly get out of bed to go to the bathroom!! Then 4 more weeks with a "cane" now I'm walking semi-normally and I finally got in a 14 mile ride to the LBS and back, JUST before the big snow fall came in here in So. Colorado.

So I got "ONE" ride in the whole month of December, hope to try for a ride this weekend with the wife. It's still "VERY" sore and all they can give me for it is, indothemyicne, a anti-infalmatory drug. It will JUST give me enough movement to spin the pedals SLOWLY at the moment. Just want it to heal up so I can get back on the bike! We are car-free and this has REALLY put a crimp in my future "biking" plans. 3000+ miles in 2011, who knows in 2012, RATS!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.