2011 Prius Three, Cannondale CAAD 10.3, Felt B16
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Know I'm Smitten When:

I buy something like this!

Yes, I did!

Okay, okay - I'm really, really protective of my Look 566, and I do NOT like to ride it on errands and in crappy weather. I don't want to chance it getting stolen and I don't like abusing it in foul weather. My old mountain bike just doesn't suit me on the road, and the old Centurian I borrowed from a girlfriend doesn't either (and it's not mine, so I'm NOT going to abuse it or risk it disappearing). So, I got it in my little head that I wanted a "beater bike" for a daily driver. Not just any beater bike, mind you. It had to have a certain amount of panache, it had to be capable, reliable, and suit my need to ride like I think I'm a twenty something (or something). I was looking at the likes of "entry level bikes" - Windsor Fens, Motobecane Vent Noir - 105 bikes, and they just weren't what I would term as having "panache". So, I was looking for an "older" bike, and I found this one. It's 19 pounds, it has an Ultegra group, it's a triple, it has the lighter Mavic CXP 33 wheels (I think they may be lighter than the Fulcrum racing 7's I was going to put on it), it's a carbon frame (with aluminum joiners, kinda cool), and it certainly has panache! I'm going to stick a nice bright tail light on it, a big seat wedge, and load my Kryptonite Lock in my backpack and have at it. I really think I'd enjoy this bike on our (sometimes fast) group rides, too, and I'll bet it's a decent climber.

Yes - I'm either crazy or smitten. I'll go for the smitten!
    Last edited by sarals; 12-24-11 at 07:37 PM.
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarals View Post
    It had to have a certain amount of panache, it had to be capable, reliable, and suit my need to ride like I think I'm a twenty something (or something).
    Excellent! Of course you and I seem to have similar requirements.

I've found that the mid-to-late-90s stuff offers a lot of nice bikes for very little expense. I now own two from that era, and love the dickens out of them. Best of luck with your find!
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice choice sarals, I bet you begin to look for some bad days to ride the Giant occasionally.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Flip it and slam it.

I know, I know.....

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ With a quill stem?
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice score Sara. Looks like a climber. Love the vintage look bar and the TTT stem.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A beater bike? Right.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, fellas! I think I'll be riding the Giant more than on bad days!

I'll post some updated photos when it arrives. It being Christmas week, I don't expect it to get to me quickly, and I told the seller not to rush. When I do get it, I'm going to put a new chain on it and detail it to the nines. As I said, I had considered putting my Fulcrum 7 wheelset on it, but I really think I'm going to leave well enough alone - for now, anyway.

I'm excited!
    Last edited by sarals; 12-24-11 at 07:45 PM.
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    Nice score Sara. Looks like a climber. Love the vintage look bar and the TTT stem.
    Thanks, AJ! It's a bit more race bike than my Look, from it's appearance. I think I'm going to be surprised when I ride it!

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can never understand why yellow is not a more fashionable colour on bikes. I owned a Merida Extreme 900 that was yellow and I enjoyed it a lot. My fleet of hire bikes was yellow. But trying to find yellow (or predominantly yellow) bikes is not easy these days.

The Mavic CXP33s have a reputation for being durable, so if they weigh less than the Fulcrums, you might as well stay with them.

Your Giant looks balanced and is well equipped. Enjoy.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    A beater bike? Right.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    I can never understand why yellow is not a more fashionable colour on bikes. I owned a Merida Extreme 900 that was yellow and I enjoyed it a lot. My fleet of hire bikes was yellow. But trying to find yellow (or predominantly yellow) bikes is not easy these days.

Your Giant looks balanced and is well equipped. Enjoy.
    Thank you!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is the "Green Envy" emoticon?

I have the CXP33 Rims on my handbuilts. with 105 hubs they work and are light. Just make certain That you get them checked out by your wheel builder before too many miles are on them as you don't know the history.

I sold my OCR last year to a mate and am now looking for the beater bike for when I retire. I should think you are over the moon with finding this one so ride it- adapt it to fit and don't scratch it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice Sara! Merry Christmas to you! I like the cheery yellow color as well. Hope you enjoy many fast, fun miles on it!
    Faster than a sundial.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking bike. I am envious of you because I can never seem to find deals like that in my area, although others in this area don't seem to have that problem. May you enjoy many safe and memorable miles on that bike. Great Christmas present to yourself.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a beater bike rocks!

I've never started with a complete bike. I just equip an old frame with whatever tires and components that I think will best meet my needs. It usually starts out with whatever I can find in my spares box and gradually evolves from there.

The last one I built for my son with my 11 year old grandson's help. It's a Felt aluminum road frame with new-in-the-box, 9-speed Ultegra brifters, 105 derailleurs and, I think, 105 brakes. The wheels are brand new Tiagra hubs with salvaged CXP21 rims. The grandson did most of the assembly and I basically just advised and ran the cables. Of course, now that I've done that, my son is changing jobs and won't be needing a ride to work bike anymore.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My "beater" bikes always see more use than my "good" bikes, and are used on sunny days all-year-long! Great find and it looks like a great riding bike.

Happy holidays.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet, Sara... Congratulations!
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
    Sweet, Sara... Congratulations!
    Thank you, AzT! Merry Christmas to you!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Where is the "Green Envy" emoticon?

I have the CXP33 Rims on my handbuilts. with 105 hubs they work and are light. Just make certain That you get them checked out by your wheel builder before too many miles are on them as you don't know the history.

I sold my OCR last year to a mate and am now looking for the beater bike for when I retire. I should think you are over the moon with finding this one so ride it- adapt it to fit and don't scratch it.
    Well, it's coming to me "pre-scratched", but I'll clean it up in short order. I'm the odd girl in that I love to take care of my "vehicles" .

This bike is turning out to be nicer than I expected, and is becoming real surprise. Yes, the rims are CXP 33, but hubs are Ultegra. They seem to weigh in at around 800 grams all told, which is down there with the Easton EA90's on my Look. Wow. I mean - wow!

I think I found a Ferrari in the barn with this one - and it was on eBay!

Merry Christmas!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seenoweevil View Post
    Very nice Sara! Merry Christmas to you! I like the cheery yellow color as well. Hope you enjoy many fast, fun miles on it!
    I thank you!

I'm pretty sure it's going to see many more miles put in on it than my Look will in the coming year!

Merry Christmas!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Having a beater bike rocks!

I've never started with a complete bike. I just equip an old frame with whatever tires and components that I think will best meet my needs. It usually starts out with whatever I can find in my spares box and gradually evolves from there.

The last one I built for my son with my 11 year old grandson's help. It's a Felt aluminum road frame with new-in-the-box, 9-speed Ultegra brifters, 105 derailleurs and, I think, 105 brakes. The wheels are brand new Tiagra hubs with salvaged CXP21 rims. The grandson did most of the assembly and I basically just advised and ran the cables. Of course, now that I've done that, my son is changing jobs and won't be needing a ride to work bike anymore.
    I'm a Felt lover, I've met Jim Felt and I love his bicycles! My first true road bike was a Felt F85. I still have my old 2004 B2. I hardly ride it, but it's staying with me!

Your build sounds sweet - and it certainly was sweet having your grandson help! It's a shame it's not being ridden...

Merry Christmas!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    My "beater" bikes always see more use than my "good" bikes, and are used on sunny days all-year-long! Great find and it looks like a great riding bike.

Happy holidays.
    "Beater Bike", in this case, is more like the Chevy Volt with the big block in the back seat - it's a real sleeper, I think! It will be ridden, you bet!

Happy Holidays!!

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm the odd girl in that I love to take care of my "vehicles" .
    And guys love a girl who knows her tools!
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your build sounds sweet - and it certainly was sweet having your grandson help! It's a shame it's not being ridden...
    I'm thinking it will be. The new job is a technician setting up and servicing Mikita machine tools. Noteable accounts include Rolls Royce and (ta da) Chris King. Within a 400 mile radius or so he'll be traveling in a van. He's planning to take the beater with him when he drives. How cool is that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast